2.4 Ghz type approval excemption

Members of SAMAA have volunteered to monitor this forum from time to time. Please read the Terms & Conditions of it's use in the announcement within the forum.

Moderator: Moderators

LionelBrink
Steep Turn Left
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

2.4 Ghz type approval excemption

Unread post by LionelBrink » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:00 am

Hi everyone,

SAMAA have been working with ICASA to clarify the 2.4 Ghz Type Approval situation. The full copy of the SAMAA report is available on the SAMAA BLOG at http://samodelair.blogspot.com/2010/09/ ... stems.html. Very briefly, ICASA have finally recognised self importation of 2.4 Ghz RC sets & together with SARS acknoweldge that individuals who import less than 5 sets per year cannot be classifed as distributors & as such are exempt from obtaining Type Approval.

However, the onus rests on the user to ensure that the set complies with SA legislated specification (100 mWatt output as documented) & in the event of an accident claim, the user may be requested to provide proof of compliance. SAMAA will continue working with ICASA & the insurers wrt this matter to ensure that any updates on this are communicated to our members.

Regards,
Lionel
I just wanna fly
tbone
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: JIA
Been liked: 34 times

Re: 2.4 Ghz type approval excemption

Unread post by tbone » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:28 pm

So as long as your set conforms to the 100 mw or below you may import your own rc equipment....on 2.4?

Do you then only need the SARS paperwork that you paid VAT as proof that it is a legal import, taxman got his share, all is good.

Bone
...eagles may soar but weasels dont get sucked into jet engines...

...there is no replacement for displacement...

...‘sauvage de la journée’...

...'LOSS OF SEPARATION WITH TERRAIN'....
LionelBrink
Steep Turn Left

Unread post by LionelBrink » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:21 pm

tbone wrote:So as long as your set conforms to the 100 mw or below you may import your own rc equipment....on 2.4?

Do you then only need the SARS paperwork that you paid VAT as proof that it is a legal import, taxman got his share, all is good.

Bone
Hi Bone?

Whilst I personally doubt that this could have any impact on the technical usability / type approved nature of the set, from a SAMAA perspective I have to recommend that the necessary legislation is fully complied with.

I am not aware of the VAT implications or what the specific SARS requirements are for importation of radio control sets, but can forward this as a request to Mark Wolffe as dealer representative if you require?

Regards,
Lionel
I just wanna fly
pietermu
Heli Pilot agrees to buy Super.
Closest Airfield: www.prf.co.za

Unread post by pietermu » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:51 am

With the SAMAA News out I believe some of the answers are in there.
info@rcskydive.com - Easyup R/C Skydiving
KlapperKnop
Flaps set for Take off

Unread post by KlapperKnop » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:12 pm

Hi, does this mean, if I import a Radion (say a Futaba or Spektrum), I still need to get an ICASA approved sticker? If no, where do I go to certify that the radio is within specifications for SAMAA insurance claims?
LionelBrink
Steep Turn Left

Unread post by LionelBrink » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:23 am

KlapperKnop wrote:Hi, does this mean, if I import a Radion (say a Futaba or Spektrum), I still need to get an ICASA approved sticker? If no, where do I go to certify that the radio is within specifications for SAMAA insurance claims?
Hi,

According to ICASA, we understand that you can import up to five 2.4 Ghz Tx sets a year for personal use - i.e. not for reselling/distribution. If you do wish to re-sell or distribute the sets, you will require a type approval certificate from ICASA. Irrespective, you will still be responsible for ensuring that the Tx complies with ICASA's legislated max output power, which I understand may not exceed 100 mW. If you are unsure, you could have the radio set tested at one of the RC service "stations" - typically the same providers who service the branded sets, but I am unsure if they can issue you with an ICASA sticker?

By purchasing a set from a local dealer (I am not aware of a local supplier for Radion?) who has type approval, you will have the necessary assurance of the set's ICASA compliance & you can demand your ICASA sticker be placed on the set.

I trust this helps?

Regards,
Lionel
Last edited by LionelBrink on Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I just wanna fly
KlapperKnop
Flaps set for Take off

Unread post by KlapperKnop » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:37 pm

LionelBrink wrote:
KlapperKnop wrote:Hi, does this mean, if I import a Radion (say a Futaba or Spektrum), I still need to get an ICASA approved sticker? If no, where do I go to certify that the radio is within specifications for SAMAA insurance claims?
Hi,

According to ICASA, we understand that you can import up to five 2.4 Ghz Tz sets a year for personal use - i.e. not for reselling/distribution. If you do wish to re-sell or distribute the sets, you will require a type approval certificate from ICASA. Irrespective, you will still be responsible for ensuring that the Tx complies with ICASA's legislated max output power, which I understand may not exceed 100 mW. If you are unsure, you could have the radio set tested at one of the RC service "stations" - typically the same providers who service the branded sets, but I am unsure if they can issue you with an ICASA sticker?

By purchasing a set from a local dealer (I am not aware of a local supplier for Radion?) who has type approval, you will have the necessary assurance of the set's ICASA compliance & you can demand your ICASA sticker be placed on the set.

I trust this helps?

Regards,
Lionel
Thanks for the response Lionel, it was rather a typo, should have read Radio and not Radion.

Return to “Ask SAMAA”