Maximum Height for RC

Members of SAMAA have volunteered to monitor this forum from time to time. Please read the Terms & Conditions of it's use in the announcement within the forum.

Moderator: Moderators

MLyons
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FASH
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 43 times

Re: Maximum Height for RC

Unread post by MLyons » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:15 am

tanglefoot wrote:................It is not JUST about increasing the box. For those that attended the Masters competition in Bloem at CRF in October last year they might remember the Cell C Harvard formation that came over at about 300ft and had me diving for the ground halfway through a stall turn.
If this was an officially sanctioned SAMAA event, then it should have been notam'd as such to alert all full size aeries to avoid the area or at least be aware and exercise caution.
Seems that either there was no notam, or the Super Ubers in the Cell C Harvards don't read them (my money's on the latter)

:lol:
You toucha my stuff, I breaka you face.
Idiot in search of a village........never mind - found it!
tanglefoot
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by tanglefoot » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:59 pm

MLyons wrote:
tanglefoot wrote:................It is not JUST about increasing the box. For those that attended the Masters competition in Bloem at CRF in October last year they might remember the Cell C Harvard formation that came over at about 300ft and had me diving for the ground halfway through a stall turn.
If this was an officially sanctioned SAMAA event, then it should have been notam'd as such to alert all full size aeries to avoid the area or at least be aware and exercise caution.
Seems that either there was no notam, or the Super Ubers in the Cell C Harvards don't read them (my money's on the latter)

:lol:
I read the NOTAM's. It certainly WAS an officially sanctioned SAMAA event but my money's on the former.
Wings are for fairies. Runways are for models...........................................
Don't get caught by Business Directory Scams. Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/55011156703/
Historical info on stopwbd.za.org
SYBOT
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: close
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Unread post by SYBOT » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:09 am

I am a lot wiser now, thanks to all contibutions, but it still looks like maze through which we have to negotiate very carefully. No where does unmanned vehicles. such as being used for law enforcement, fit in. In the US UAV's are gaining a lot of ground as another leg of this hobby so I had to ask as some of us are already building their own UAV's. Looks like that will push the grey boundary further away.

Toby
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.
tanglefoot
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by tanglefoot » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:28 am

SYBOT wrote:I am a lot wiser now, thanks to all contibutions, but it still looks like maze through which we have to negotiate very carefully. No where does unmanned vehicles. such as being used for law enforcement, fit in. In the US UAV's are gaining a lot of ground as another leg of this hobby so I had to ask as some of us are already building their own UAV's. Looks like that will push the grey boundary further away.

Toby
Here's some reading matter that I pulled off the CAA website.
UAS Interim Policy.pdf
7.3.5. Operations not requiring a pilot licence: The PIC may be exempted from
holding a pilot licence for operations approved and conducted solely within
visual line of sight in Class F and G airspace. For the PIC to be exempt from
the pilot licence requirement the following conditions must exist and the
alternative compliance method described below must be followed -DRAFT SA INTERIM UAS POLICY
Page 31
AUGUST 2008
a. The operation is conducted in a sparsely populated location.
b. The operation is conducted from a privately owned airfield, military
installation, or off-airport location.
c. Visual range operations must be conducted no further than 1500
metres laterally from the UAS pilot and at an altitude of no more than
400 feet above ground level (AGL), unless approved otherwise by
the SA-CAA.
d. Operations must be conducted during daylight hours only.
e. Operations shall be conducted no closer than 3 km from any airport
or heliport.
f. Alternative Compliance Method: In lieu of a pilot licence, the PIC
must have successfully completed, at a minimum, SA-CAA private
pilot ground instruction, or equivalent, and have passed a relevant
written examination.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wings are for fairies. Runways are for models...........................................
Don't get caught by Business Directory Scams. Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/55011156703/
Historical info on stopwbd.za.org
LionelBrink
Steep Turn Left
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Unread post by LionelBrink » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:17 am

Hi,

As I understand it, the CAA does not consider UAV's to be part of the "hobby" side of remote controlled aircraft: as these do not necessarily represent non-commerical/sport activities.

Regards,
Lionel
I just wanna fly

Return to “Ask SAMAA”