Gold Rating for 50cc Gas???

Members of SAMAA have volunteered to monitor this forum from time to time. Please read the Terms & Conditions of it's use in the announcement within the forum.

Moderator: Moderators

marsman7222
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Gold Rating for 50cc Gas???

Unread post by marsman7222 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:48 pm

Hi there
I am fairly new to RC Modelling(+ 2 years) and have a real problem understanding the SAMAA rule that anyone that owns/flies a 50cc or whatever size petrol engine aircraft should be accompanied /supervised by someone that has/ have a Gold Rating themselves.This being said flying a RC Model Helicopter is in my opinion far more Dangerous than the Aeroplanes(Just ask the okes flying them these things have a mind of their own).What makes the Nitro model's propellor less dangerous than the petrol engines? Why is is that you can be trained flying your RC Helicopter with an instructor next to you whilst hovering a few metres away a machine that will decapitate/seriously injure you but you can not fly a petrol engine rc model.What about the jets? They are even more dangerous than their petrol or nitro counterparts.Please I am asking you guys to seriously consider this.There may be a rule that states that whenever a Petrol engine model is started it should be secured to the ground etc.The rule is misleading and for the people who loves this hobby and is not interested in Flying/Competing at events etc. a real pain in the butt.Thx
Last edited by marsman7222 on Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tanglefoot
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Gold Ratimg for 50cc Gas???

Unread post by tanglefoot » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:22 pm

Hi marsman,

Can you copy a quote of the relevant 'rule' on this forum :?: I haven't seen it myself.
Wings are for fairies. Runways are for models...........................................
Don't get caught by Business Directory Scams. Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/55011156703/
Historical info on stopwbd.za.org
marsman7222

Re: Gold Ratimg for 50cc Gas???

Unread post by marsman7222 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:52 am

Hi tanglefoot
I have never seen it myself but it was announced at our club during a meeting will do some digging and get back to you
THX
clivem
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: howick
Has liked: 5 times

Re: Gold Rating for 50cc Gas???

Unread post by clivem » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:37 pm

marsman
I may be wrong but i am not aware of such a rule (by SAMAA)
this may be something local to your club rules, dont despair, a gold rating is not something that difficult. you dont have to be someone who wants to compete to be able to achieve a gold rating. I cant remeber the gold requirements off hand but the hardest thing i can remember must be inverted figure eights........ if you want to fly 50cc gas aerobatic planes i would think you were more than capable of such manouvres.

whilst i am not downplaying any other side of the hobby being less dangerous, moving on to 50cc means around 7,5kg and 22inch props minimum. size does count :lol: :lol: :lol: our plane just keep getting bigger and like anything in life, some sort of competency / proficiency being required is not always bad.

as for the whirly birds ( yes i fly them too) yip they are dangerous and no-one should ever be standing next to one - gold rated or not.
#IamImac
Current Sponsors : Powerbox-systems, GP Engines, Falcon Propellors, Savox Servos, G-Force Pilots

http://www.cmchobbies.co.za - South Africa
https://www.AerobatX.co.uk - UK
tanglefoot
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 8 times

Unread post by tanglefoot » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:50 pm

clivem wrote:..............as for the whirly birds ( yes i fly them too) yip they are dangerous and no-one should ever be standing next to one - gold rated or not.
Best place to be around a "whirly bird"is inside 8)
Wings are for fairies. Runways are for models...........................................
Don't get caught by Business Directory Scams. Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/55011156703/
Historical info on stopwbd.za.org
marsman7222

Unread post by marsman7222 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:09 am

I still have not found such a rule but will keep on digging for it
Maybe someone from SAMAA can help out here
Thx for all the replies
LionelBrink
Steep Turn Left

Unread post by LionelBrink » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:02 pm

Hi,

Sorry, but I have simply not been able to find any reference to this "rule". Please refer to the SAMAA MoP on model aircraft definition: http://www.samaa.org.za/mop/PO.18%20Def ... rcraft.pdf - derived from the FAI standard and specifically refer to point 5. for models exceeding 25 kgs, which could require CAA excemption & building inspection, but nought about 50cc gassers!

Regards,
Lionel
I just wanna fly
marsman7222

Unread post by marsman7222 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:35 pm

Thx to everybody that posted a comment
Contacted SAMAA today and they confirmed that no such rule exists!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Anybody that has a solo proficiency can fly any gas powered model
For all other rules see Lionel's Post
Thx
LionelBrink
Steep Turn Left

Unread post by LionelBrink » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:37 am

Hi,

When I started flying RC many "well meaning" individuals informed me of various rules & regulations. Over the years I have come to realise that some of these "mythical rules" are just BS - unless backed up by a gazetted regulation or a "hard coded' document from an independent source.

Regards,
Lionel
I just wanna fly
marsman7222

Unread post by marsman7222 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:50 pm

Thx for your comments Lionel
I have been flying for a little more than 2 years and have also come across this
There will always be something and the sad part is that people actually forget that we are doing this for FUN!!!

Return to “Ask SAMAA”