SAMAA insurance Policy

Members of SAMAA have volunteered to monitor this forum from time to time. Please read the Terms & Conditions of it's use in the announcement within the forum.

Moderator: Moderators

vlakvark1234
HASSELL checks
Closest Airfield: naaste grond pad
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

SAMAA insurance Policy

Unread post by vlakvark1234 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:06 pm

Hi Mr. Brink.

Could you be so kind, to attach a copy of the insurance policy to this tread. or alternatively direct me to where i can find it.

I would refer you to: shortterm insurance Act, act 53 of 1998 section 1 Definitions:
Policyholder:
means the person entitled to be provided with the policy benefits under a short term policy

as members " me excluded", they would receive benefits under the policy and therefore, they have right to the policy.

section 47 of act 53 of 1998.
Copy of Policy and inspection of policy records.

1. A person who enters into or varies a short term policy which constitutes personal lines business, other than a short term reinsurance policy, shall be provided by the short term insurer concerned, within 30 days after so entering into or varying the policy, with a copy of the document which embodies the contract of short term insurance concerned.

2. The Policy holder, and the person who entered into the short term policy, shall be entitled to be provided, upon request, with a copy of the policy.

seeing this,
it is clear, that SAMAA would be imposession of a copy of the policy. and every member that does contribute towards the premium of such policy "SAMAA members" would also be entitled to be provided with such a copy.

regards
Pottie
You only live once!!!!
Live life!!!
LionelBrink
Steep Turn Left
Been liked: 0

Re: SAMAA insurance Policy

Unread post by LionelBrink » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:44 am

Hi Pottie,

Please PM me your email address & SAMAA number & I'll have the SAMAA office will forward you a copy of the policy.

Regards,
Lionel
I just wanna fly
vlakvark1234
HASSELL checks

Unread post by vlakvark1234 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:34 am

pm sent
You only live once!!!!
Live life!!!
LionelBrink
Steep Turn Left

Unread post by LionelBrink » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:26 am

Hi,

The SAMAA office is requestign an electronic copy of the latest insurance policy from our brokers. I have requested that this be published on the SAMAA website for members. I will keep you informed of progress/status change.

Regards,
Lionel
I just wanna fly
vlakvark1234
HASSELL checks

Unread post by vlakvark1234 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:37 pm

great

dankie
You only live once!!!!
Live life!!!
LionelBrink
Steep Turn Left

Unread post by LionelBrink » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:13 am

Hi,

We are still waiting on the policy from the brokers.

Regards,
Lionel
I just wanna fly
vlakvark1234
HASSELL checks

Unread post by vlakvark1234 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:46 am

Hi Lionel

i have lloked on your website, but could not find the policy.
has it been placed on your website?
if so, can you direct me to it?
if not, when will it be placed?

regards
Pottie
You only live once!!!!
Live life!!!
LionelBrink
Steep Turn Left

Unread post by LionelBrink » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:52 pm

Hi Pottie,

After discussion with the broker, we have been advised that we may not publish the policy directly on the website. However, the broker can provide a copy of the policy upon enquiry direct to a member - the SAMAA office has their contact details. For reference (& confirmed permissable by the broker) the following is a summary of the policy (rewritten in english as far as possible):

The Insurance we as SAMAA Members enjoy is a “Third Party Liability Policy”. This policy is primarily to cover all paid up members of SAMAA against claims that may arise from personal liability for Injury or Damage to third parties and their property, while operating a model aircraft, at a SAMAA registered field. The policy also provides, the very difficult to obtain, but essential, member to member cover. The policy has an extension clause which further allows the member the option to claim for :

* Statutory Defence Cost
* Wrongful Arrest
* Defamation

Provided the claims for these extensions are associated with the third party liability claim. The policy has been taken out in the name of SAMAA and all paid up members of the Association, through a Johannesburg Brokerage Firm, the Insurer is Sanlam Ltd and the underwriter Stalker Hutchinson and Associates.

The following schedule sets out the limit of liability and the access/deductible applicable to this policy:

* Public Liability cover of R 150000,000 for each and every claim with an excess of I% of the claim and a minimum of R5,000 per claim. Note that member to member cover is also covered under public liability with a 1% excess & R10,000 min.
* Statutory Defence Cost, or Wrongful Arrest, or Defamation, cover of R 100 000.00 and limited to R 100 000 per policy period again with a 1% excess or kinimum of R 2,500

The policy is a standard policy, which has been modified to cover our model aircraft flying activities, and as such contains only the general exclusions as follows;

* Loss and damage resulting from war or terrorism
* Proven negligent behaviour

The SAMAA together with the broker in offering this policy to the members, has considered the dangers associated with model aircraft flying, and the safety and risk to pilots and
public present and has added additional exclusions ,and restrictions which have been imposed on our model flying, by the Law, the CAA (Civil Aviation Authority), the FAI (the International Aviation Body) and lastly by practical safety recommendations documebnted by SAMAA.

The Insurance policy offered, is based on the SAMAA Operating Procedures, so as to manage the risks associated with model aircraft operation, and in so doing, ensures that we the members will have Insurance cover should an accident occur at the flying field.

The cover only extends to SAMAA members flying at registered RC sites, including pre-Solo students under direct instruction, pre-approved airshows, legal frequencies (& type approved Tx's) & all standard legal conditions (i.e. pilot not under the influence, reasonable behaviour - as defined within the SAMAA MoP). Damage to models as a result of a mid-air collision or frequency clash are excluded - but any 3rd party damage caused by the crash is included. Only model aircraft conforming to current CAA standards are included. Any accident with full size aviation immediately invalidates the policy - the onus rests on the member to take evasive action AT ALL TIMES.

There are a number of aspects not described in this summary - but I must add that SAMAA is not an Insurer & is also not a registered financial services advisor/provider - so discussion into the policy, debate about exclusions etc., are unlikely to & legally may NOT be answered directly by SAMAA. Also we need to understand that the current policy is THE ONLY policy made available to us in SA, and as such we have to except the conditons & exclusions as dictated to us.

Regards,
Lionel Brink
I just wanna fly

Return to “Ask SAMAA”