Flying T-Rex 700E in residential area.

Members of SAMAA have volunteered to monitor this forum from time to time. Please read the Terms & Conditions of it's use in the announcement within the forum.

Moderator: Moderators

TLO
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Flying T-Rex 700E in residential area.

Unread post by TLO » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:24 pm

Hi SAMAA,
Is it okay to fly a T-Rex 700E in a residential area?
Its in a small open field with 2 roads boarding it.
Lots of people cross the field, walking dogs and riding bicycles, most of the flying will happen right above there heads.

Regards
TheLittleOne
clivem
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: howick
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Flying T-Rex 700E in residential area.

Unread post by clivem » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:18 am

i dont speak on behalf of SAMAA - but are you serious?????????? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
common sense tells you never to fly near people
#IamImac
Current Sponsors : Powerbox-systems, GP Engines, Falcon Propellors, Savox Servos, G-Force Pilots

http://www.cmchobbies.co.za - South Africa
https://www.AerobatX.co.uk - UK
Wonko the Sane
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: Waterkloof
Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 121 times

Unread post by Wonko the Sane » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:59 am

Two words come to mind.......lawsuite and newspaper..... :?
I don't care what you think of me! Unless you think I'm awesome - then you're right, carry on!

My flying is not that bad....I've never left one up there..

Andre Dethioux
RPL (MR)
West Coast Choppers
Engine Started

Unread post by West Coast Choppers » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:16 am

TLO wrote:Hi SAMAA,
Is it okay to fly a T-Rex 700E in a residential area?
Its in a small open field with 2 roads boarding it.
Lots of people cross the field, walking dogs and riding bicycles, most of the flying will happen right above there heads.

Regards
TheLittleOne
I'm assuming this is a sarcastic question. So who did you see doing this and where?
TLO

Unread post by TLO » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:16 pm

10 Points go to West Coast Choppers. :D
8 Points each to Wonko the Sane and clivem for very valid comments. :D

All jokes aside , this is a serious matter.
I'm a heli pilot to (very beginner) and from the 1st day at the club i was taught about safety, over and over again.
This is why i can not understand how a senior RC pilot can have so little regard for the safety the general public and those around him.
Furthermore, this was not a setup / calibration flight / hover, this was a full-on hardcore 3D show on full power.

Is there anything SAMMA/anyone can do about this, before someone is badly injured or worse?

I'm including a map of the makeshift field, so you may see where this is going on, im however not going to mention the name of the pilot in open forum.
If SAMAA wishes it so, i will PM them the details.

Regards
TLO
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tanglefoot
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by tanglefoot » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:37 pm

Why doesn't SAMAA consider a CAHRS (Confidential Aviation Hazard Reporting) system :?: Maybe CMAHRS :?:

I think that the main problem is that SAMAA is not an enforcement agency :? :?
Wings are for fairies. Runways are for models...........................................
Don't get caught by Business Directory Scams. Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/55011156703/
Historical info on stopwbd.za.org
West Coast Choppers
Engine Started

Unread post by West Coast Choppers » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:46 pm

TLO wrote: If SAMAA wishes it so, i will PM them the details.
PM or email Lionel Brink. We are all responsible custodians of the sport and all it takes is one inconsiderate incident to injure or destroy somebody's life.
LionelBrink
Steep Turn Left

Unread post by LionelBrink » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:52 am

Hi Guys,

I am concerned that anyone would even begin to consider flying a model heli of 700 size in a public area? Please PM me the details as the process is relatively simple: SAMAA will formally contact the indiviual(s) & inform them that they should be flying at registered fields; the individual(s) can choose to comply - failing which SAMAA wil be required to report them to the CAA & local law enforvement agencies.

Whilst it is not a law, from a pure safety perspective SAMAA recommend that "park flying" models should not exceed 1kg all up mass - flying anything bigger than that in a public area must surely be considered to be extremely reckless!

Regards,
Lionel
I just wanna fly
Xtremejakes
Mags Dead Cut

Unread post by Xtremejakes » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:47 pm

OOOOOOOOOKKKKKKKKK

Burners on..
It was me. Wrong to do so????? YES!!!
So I'll man up to Saturday arvie....BUT tlo is either stirring the pot really thick or.. and most probably was not even there.

So here is my side. I had a long 400k trip back to bloem and wanted to be back before sunset. SAMAA club 1 closed for runway repair and nobody there. SAMAA club 2 was deserted eccept got a gov car at the side of the clubhouse rocking too and fro. So off to LHP I went. Once there I took out my Striker end FMS P47 ( WHAT an aeroplane..) and had a couple of flights. Being the fool I let myself be talked into flying the TRex after just about everyone begged for a demo. Seeing that everyone ( the public) were watching the Cheetahs got smeared, I thought, well why not. And I had an aerobatic flight. Landed, everyone happy, had a go with the P47 and left at 6.30.

NOW> Its not a small park, come see for yourself.
Never did I come close to any member of public, poor mutt or bicycle rider.---I always double check that. no seriously I do
Never did I fly near, towards or over any road.

PLEASE keep in mind that I know its not allowed to do a 700 flight there.
BUT to poor TLO I say the following: Were you there on saturday or did you hear me fly because this was on avcom en before I even left the field.
If you were so scared for your own or anybody elses safety ( and if you were there) why not just tell me that and I would gladly respect your feelings.
How do I disregard the other pilots' safety just because this is a park? They stand behind me at the samaa clubs as well.
Thanks for calling me a senior pilot, appreciated
I have SAMAA entry forms for you, dont worry, I'll pay your subs for a year and the please come to one of the clubs where I'm a PAID up member and then see what "real hardcore 3d" flying really is. :shock:
Next time when inexperienced pilots crash their 2kg planes and 500- 600 sized helis, be sure to personally tell them your concerns and insecurities as to run to the authorities.
Please buy yourself an ICAASA autherised transmitter.

I was wrong, not scared to man up, appologise to thesmallone ( no not the one in my pants) and will not do it any time soon again.

Jakes
Bloem
NEW HARDCORE 3d Xtreme pilot.

Sorry oom bob en lionel. Oppas want die ou maak die pap bietjie dik aan. Dit was regtig n verlate middag en ek sal julle wys waar ek gevlieg het as oom oor drie weke hierna toe kom vir die CENTRAL FLY IN. Ek weet dit was verkeerd maar hou in gedagte dat ek van De aar na Bloem n 137km/h average gry het en was nie daarvoor gevang nie. Ek dog toe seker ek sal wegkom met die een ook.
Joe Slow

Unread post by Joe Slow » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:11 pm

I have SAMAA entry forms for you, dont worry, I'll pay your subs for a year and the please come to one of the clubs where I'm a PAID up member and then see what "real hardcore 3d" flying really is. :shock:
Well done Jakes nice to see you not hiding in the bushes! RESPECT!!!

Just like Jakes says he didnt fly very hard. Never once was anyone endangered! I was at the field and was really very nice to see Jakes fly. Also sorry for being one of the guys who asked you for the demo....

I hope everyone has a blessed week!

Joe
TLO

Unread post by TLO » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:47 pm

Good day to all,

I have read the post of Jakes proberley 5 times before i started writing this reply.
Him standing up and taking responsibility for his actions shows great character, but i fear that his better judgement let him down this weekend.

As i have said, u are a senior pilot, and therefore should not have to be told that what you are doing is potentially dangerous. You could have left the T700 in your Hilux.
Flying the Striker and P47 with all the other LHP Flyers is a great thing, you guys get the hobby in the public eye everyday. The LHP Flyers has undoubtedly gotten more people in the air than any local club.

My concern is not with you as a person, or with your RC skills, but what will become of the hobby if something went wrong on a plane/heli that was not supposed to be flying there in the first place, and someone got injured.
I do agree that it is not a small park, yet it is not cordoned off,anyone unfamiliar with these size heli's could walk right pass.
If an accident where to happen at a SAMAA field, then everyone in attendance knows that sometimes planes and heli's, 2KG or not, will fall out of the sky and crash. At a SAMAA field there are warning signs like, enter at own risk, beware of flying model aircraft.
No such warnings are posted at the LHP field, for good reason, its a park, where park flyers come to have fun, without any fear that they might hurt anyone while doing so.

If i have offended you in asking SAMAA a question, i do apologise, i did not mention your name in the forum out of respect.

I do not want to turn this discussion into a mud slinging contest.
You have admitted your actions and apologized, thank you for that.
Lets be safe and responsible in our hobby or see it sanctioned to death by the people that were so eager to see you fly your T700.

Regards
TLO
hopiimp
Engine full power confirmed
Closest Airfield: Tempe

Unread post by hopiimp » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:31 am

OK TLO se wie jy is want ek word van alle kante gemoer en word gese ek het die ou gaan verklik. Weet van niks en het niks van die aard gedoen nie. My naam is Fanie Rheeder en my handle is hopiimp. Het so 3 jaar terug daar gevlieg ma opgehou toe politiek daar met 'n spoed weg getrek het. Laat weet ons wat jou naam is please TLO.
Scale heli's is what it is all about

Return to “Ask SAMAA”