Residential flying

Members of SAMAA have volunteered to monitor this forum from time to time. Please read the Terms & Conditions of it's use in the announcement within the forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Piet Le Roux
Engine full power confirmed
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Residential flying

Unread post by Piet Le Roux » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:33 am

In the light of Jakes confession I also have a confession:
My son has been flying his 2Kg glow powered wombat on the cricket pitch of the local SAPD sports club in Bloemfontein called Bobbies Park, it’s also right in the middle of a residential area . I am not happy about it but he has permission from the club manager and the local law enforcement that frequents the club doesn’t seem to mind at all. If I have to be perfectly honest I would have been much more worried if he had been flying at the closest SAMAA registered field because it’s a dangerous place to be. If he is very very lucky there may be someone else flying there but then he would be told he has to pay a R800 plus membership fee and that he can only land his wombat in the rough grass, the cricket pitch is in excellent condition. Unfortunately SAMAA clubs can only cater for serious frequent flyers of their choosing and not casual flyers and are not always safe places to be.
The fact is that he has not broken any written law and I and SAMAA can only advise him about the dangers.... anything more than that we would just be overplaying our hand.
Maybe the secretive TLO can place a Coogle map of this site. I wonder if TLO stands for “ The Local Observer “ ? and will we be seeing more issues ?
Zena

Re: Residential flying

Unread post by Zena » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:19 pm

I also what to confess, I also fly my Trex700E, on the same spot as Jakes, so why is TLO not complaining about that, there was about 10 people with cars, I have just ask the guys to give me 8 minutes alone time to put my awesome Heli in the air, they had no problem and even said I can come and do it again, the sad thing was I only had one set of charged batteries, just think what would happen if I arrived there with 10 sets of charged batteries, after all you don't see a woman flying a Trex700E every day.
Jakes is one the best RC Pilots out there, and has excellent Heli control, I personally fly with him a lot, and never can I recall that he would fly his Trex if he did not check safety first. I have seen him fly a Heli in the quarter of the space in question.
TLO, please place a google map of your flying spot, so that I can come and fly my awesome Heli there, and improve my small space Heli flying skills, so that you can be seeing more issues.
Cub4Ever
Stall training
Closest Airfield: FATP

Unread post by Cub4Ever » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:44 pm

I just find it sad that this person had joined Avcom, just to nail Jakes
He says he didn't name him out of respect, but at the same time he is prepared to knife him in the back ?

If he was really concerned that the flight was unsafe, why then didn't he go up to Jakes and ask him to land, which would have been
the reasonable thing to do, rather than making an issue out of it on a public forum

This leaves one thinking that there is an ulterior motive to his actions, and I hope that he will be man enough to identify himself

André Steyn
clivem
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: howick
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by clivem » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:35 pm

i thought i smelt a rat on the other post :roll:
#IamImac
Current Sponsors : Powerbox-systems, GP Engines, Falcon Propellors, Savox Servos, G-Force Pilots

http://www.cmchobbies.co.za - South Africa
https://www.AerobatX.co.uk - UK
Piet Le Roux
Engine full power confirmed

Unread post by Piet Le Roux » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:54 pm

Interesting points were raised by TLO, Fanie Rheeder and our SAMAA chairman in the previous post about park flying. This made me realise some interesting facts about a SAMAA registered field in Bloemfontein. Although it is adjacent to a Municipal cemetery both the flying field and cemetery were zoned as a public parks and to my knowledge this has not changed. This certainly makes CRF the biggest registered park flying field in the country if not in the southern hemisphere! I wonder if the 1Kg rule applies here.
The field is not fenced in and I have seen many a pedestrian and even cyclists crossing the runways while flying are taking place. Placing warning signs are problematic because like fences it gets stolen. I don’t think that the local law enforcement would be very helpful in removing the public from a public park, especially if they are from a previously disadvantaged group. Both Pattern and large scale aerobatic competitions have been held here for decades. The eastern 150 meter marker for pattern flying use to be 50 meters inside the cemetery until permission for erecting it was refused by the cemetery manager but this has not stopped flying on this flight line, even during competitions that are sanctioned by SAMAA. These flying activities take place mostly on Saturdays and Sundays when scores of people visits the cemetery. Remember we are taking about electric planes weighing 5Kg and petrol planes weighing more than 15KG! I would hate to see the end to a long history of model aerobatic flying at CRF but if SAMAA is serious about securing public safety where model flying are being conducted they must apply their rules and recommendations uniformly and cannot ignore dangerous activities just because it have been taking place for decades without serious injuries that we know of.

Return to “Ask SAMAA”