Non ICASA approved radios

Members of SAMAA have volunteered to monitor this forum from time to time. Please read the Terms & Conditions of it's use in the announcement within the forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Klaas
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Nelspruit
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Non ICASA approved radios

Unread post by Klaas » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:23 pm

Ek het bietjie verder gelees om te kyk wat ICASA aan 'n persoon of organisasie kan doen wat oortree. Indien aangekla en skuldig bevind, kan hy 'n boete opgelê word van nie meer as 1 Miljoen Rand nie. :shock: Dit word seker bepaal na gelang van die grootte van die mpy.

Tog, op hierdie stadium doen ICASA nie polisiëring nie behalwe om na klagtes van ander gebruikers om te sien en op te tree waar inligting verskaf word. Hulle konsentreer daarom om toerusting binne die standaarde te probeer hou deur "Type Approval".
DC→AC™ Ω ♪♫♪ Hoë Spanning ♫♪♫ ℅ Elektries Onbeperk Δ → ∞ Voorsprong deur tegnologie ☼ №① ... ҉. ∞∞∞∞. ҉
In The Haze
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Brakkies
Has liked: 4 times

Unread post by In The Haze » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:38 am

Gary Lees wrote:Ok I have one of the first Futaba 14MZ radios brought in by the local distributor and bought from the LHS. When this set came into the country, there were no stickers etc. Now, how do I know if this is an approved radio?
The radio is in excellent condition is fully serviced by the correct and approved people.
Now, where do I stand?
Gary open up the covers on the sides where the SD card fits in etc. Also check the area where the battery slides in, there should be a sticker somewhere around there. The 18mz is the same.
ITH
------------------------------
I guess that flirting with death sometimes leads to a date - ITH
......never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee. – John Donne
Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes. - Oscar Wilde
In The Haze
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Brakkies
Has liked: 4 times

Unread post by In The Haze » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:46 am

Mike Brews wrote:Alcon,

I beg to differ, I am a SMC member and I monitor the "Ask SAMAA" on a regular basis. In fact, it is one of my tasks to do so. I do not always respond to posts as I may not have all the detail at hand to respond immediately. Once I have gathered the correct information, I normally respond the same day or so.

In this instance, I know that Marthinus is waiting to have a meeting on this subject with the underwriter of the insurance (currently on leave) and not the broker. I too am concerned about the matter of ICASA and a while back I posted a link to the legislation as it is published on the ICASA web site. The rules are there for anyone to look up about type ratings, no secret.

I also want an unequivocal statement from the underwriters of the policy on the matter of ICASA type rated equipment. I would also like to see that each member has a copy of this insurance as I believe that I am paying for it in my subs to SAMAA. Just as I receive a copy of any insurance that I have taken out in a group scheme.

Kind regards

Mike Brews
viewtopic.php?f=143&t=114633&p=1279643& ... s#p1277409
Maybe not related to this, but my comment stands.
ITH
------------------------------
I guess that flirting with death sometimes leads to a date - ITH
......never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee. – John Donne
Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes. - Oscar Wilde
Mike Brews
Heli Pilot agrees to buy Super.
Closest Airfield: Barnstormers

Unread post by Mike Brews » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:42 am

Alcon,

I will have news on the outcome of the meeting with the underwriters early next week, say Tuesday.

Kind regards

Mike
Kind Regards
Mike Brews
074 303 1533
brews.mike@gmail.com
"Aviation, like the sea, is not inherently dangerous; but it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity, or neglect"
Klaas
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by Klaas » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:49 am

Ek hoop vir 'n positiewe uitkoms.
DC→AC™ Ω ♪♫♪ Hoë Spanning ♫♪♫ ℅ Elektries Onbeperk Δ → ∞ Voorsprong deur tegnologie ☼ №① ... ҉. ∞∞∞∞. ҉
garethbarry
Pre-take off checks
Closest Airfield: lion park

Unread post by garethbarry » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:51 am

Mike, Thanks for getting back to us regardless.
Gerrit Loubser
Engine Started
Closest Airfield: Richards Bay

Unread post by Gerrit Loubser » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:38 pm

Does anybody know where to find a consolidated list of all type approved transmitters? This would obviously be invaluable when making purchasing decisions (new or second hand), but I have not been able to find such a thing. I am sure ICASA will have a record of the type approved transmitter model numbers. I wonder if it would be at all possible to get this info from them.
Klaas
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by Klaas » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:42 pm

Ja, daar is 'n lys op ICASA web-tuiste, maar nie baie oud nie en ook nie juis op datum nie. Dit is ook nie per RC produk gelys nie, maar al die produkte wat hulle gesertifiseer het volgens datum.

https://www.icasa.org.za/LegislationReg ... fault.aspx
clivem
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: howick
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by clivem » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:57 am

gary,

type approval is exactly that - TYPE approval. if you have a futaba 14mz - i can guarantee you that that radio TYPE was approved - in which case yours will be fine - icasa sticker or not IMO.

each and every individual radio set is not type approved or any other approved. once a TYPE ( within all the specs for a brand / model etc) is approved - it's done.
#IamImac
Current Sponsors : Powerbox-systems, GP Engines, Falcon Propellors, Savox Servos, G-Force Pilots

http://www.cmchobbies.co.za
garethbarry
Pre-take off checks

Unread post by garethbarry » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:23 pm

Clive, check earlier posts, that is not my understanding of it. I am told its type appooroval for the particular importer. Klaas?
garethbarry
Pre-take off checks

Unread post by garethbarry » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:32 pm

We appear to be stonewalled by ICASA on this (even people working within ICASA have not been able to get a response!?) & based on legal opinion obtained for another topic, when in doubt, refer to existing written law. As far as we have been able to determine, type approval certificates are issued by ICASA (they do not appear to stonewall when "paying"for this) and are issued in the name of the importer. At this time we are not aware of any changes promulgated.

Regards,
Lionel
note, issued in the name of the importer
clivem
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: howick
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by clivem » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:43 pm

gareth, i 100% agree, that allows the named importer the right to sell these locally as ICASA approved WITHOUT having each and every set checked for conformance.
#IamImac
Current Sponsors : Powerbox-systems, GP Engines, Falcon Propellors, Savox Servos, G-Force Pilots

http://www.cmchobbies.co.za
garethbarry
Pre-take off checks

Unread post by garethbarry » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:30 pm

Clive, reading through this thread, my understanding is that obtaining type approval for a particular transmission device is given to a PARTICULAR importer, if someone else imports the exact same device, ICASA type approval does not follow as a given, that person woukd have to go through the same process. The importer woukd be given a bunch of stickers once type approval is given, which he would put on his devices. It works much the same as "c tick" in Australia, which has gotten a few people into trouble for importing modukes durectly ftom hobbyking, bypassing the agent, e.g. extremerc in Australia for the Frsky Taranis. That is some of the reason peopke I think are upset, as it smacks of protectionism?
I would love to be wrong in this respect, as I am one of the guilty ones who imported directly from an overseas website, hence bypassing ICASA type approval. Clive, if you are right, then I would be Type approved fo my transmitter because it was done by the agent. But that is not my understanding?
danie.e
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: Henley
Has liked: 82 times
Been liked: 257 times

Unread post by danie.e » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:16 pm

Reminder - there was a concession made with SARS and Icasa that individuals can Import no more than 5 sets (no more than twice per year) without having to obtain ICASA approval.
Have not seen any reversal of that concession so assume it is still valid.
Danie.e
Don't just stik it, Drastik it
S.A. Agent for CY Models, King Max servos and Amass servo leads. Reseller of RCGF Petrol engines, Smartfly powerboxes, SkyRC Chargers and Power Supplies - http://www.aspaviation.co.za
Klaas
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by Klaas » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:53 pm

In elk geval - die kans dat iemand 5 RC Tx stelle per jaar vir homself koop is S K R A A L ... So vir ons is die hoeveelheid 'n onbelangrike klousule - dink ek. Behalwe net dat hulle wil hê dit moet goedgekeur word wat vir my 'n dood stop is om self in te voer. Ek koop eerder plaaslik by die handellaars wat dit goedgekeur het en ondersteun hulle.

Ek dink dit het meer te doen vir mense wat ander items koop soos 2-rigting radios vir kommunikasie of iets wat meer per item nodig is.

Return to “Ask SAMAA”