Non ICASA approved radios

Members of SAMAA have volunteered to monitor this forum from time to time. Please read the Terms & Conditions of it's use in the announcement within the forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Mike Brews
Heli Pilot agrees to buy Super.
Closest Airfield: Barnstormers
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Non ICASA approved radios

Unread post by Mike Brews » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:25 pm

Alcon,

I am sorry that I am not responding with the news from the meeting between SAMAA and the Underwriter at this as sated in my previous mail, please accept my apology. I will get back to you as soon as I have a policy statement from the underwriter. In the meantime, I have attached the ICASA law as promulgated on 26 August 2013 in the Government Gazette No 36786 Gen 871 and No 36786 Gen 872. This then is the current law that we need to work with.

Kind regards

Mike Brews
36785_gen871.pdf
36786_gen872.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kind Regards
Mike Brews
074 303 1533
brews.mike@gmail.com
"Aviation, like the sea, is not inherently dangerous; but it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity, or neglect"
heisan
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Closest Airfield: Rhino Park
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 416 times

Unread post by heisan » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:57 pm

It is interesting to see that the technical regulations say that a transmitter and/or receiver require type approval (unless specifically exempted by ICASA).

This means that all receivers also require type approval, which is strange, as I have never seen one on a normal broadcast radio or TV, and I cannot find any exemptions for them?
Justin Schoeman

ZU-FSR (Raven)
garethbarry
Pre-take off checks
Closest Airfield: lion park

Unread post by garethbarry » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:15 pm

yes, and if you obey this to the letter, then every 2.4ghz receiver would also need type approval, since in addition to what you site above, every rc receiver also transmits in order to bind with the transmitter. The more I think of this, one of the big problems we have is the non-transference of type approval (and please guys I am saying this not to stir up the hornets nest further, but type approval is definitely not transferable across importers, each must go through the process even for the identical item.) This is different for example with FCC or ESTI certification, where once it us done it is done and transferable across importers.
Another problem, and I know I will take flack for this, is that there is really nothing stopping someone getting type approval for a really unreliable and crappy radio, as ICASA is only concerned with the RF parameters, not build quality, hopping protocol etc. Hence, if go strictly according to type approval, there may come a day when someone is flying a type approved "fustarba" "jitek" or "JayAr" radio (im sure you get my drift). Someone flies a 30cc aerobatic, or worse turbine, whilst insane, would technically be totally legal as opposed to someone with with a quality radio, but without the sticker.
Hence, my proposal is that SAMAA figures out some method of determining "SAMAA approval" as to which radio would be reliable enough to fly a model, to prevent that which would be dangerous with a lot of what is available on for example ebay.
Mike Brews

Unread post by Mike Brews » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:06 am

Dear Samaa Member,

We would like to apologize for the delay in publishing a statement relevant to the ICASA Type Approval issue. Please do not make any decision regarding your Radio Equipment until the SAMAA publish a formal statement. This process has been delayed due to a lack of communication from the relevant departments at ICASA. The fact remains whether your radio has been Type Approved or not it must comply with the South African Standard for that frequency spectrum. The delay at the moment is to get the correct definition from ICASA as to what the compliance criteria is.

The Compliance Committee

Kind regards

Mike
Kind Regards
Mike Brews
074 303 1533
brews.mike@gmail.com
"Aviation, like the sea, is not inherently dangerous; but it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity, or neglect"
Mike Brews

Unread post by Mike Brews » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:05 pm

Alcon,

There is still no Specifications from ICASA on the radio matter forth coming. Martinhus will be following up the matter with ICASA next week and I will give you feedback

Kind regards

Mike
Kind Regards
Mike Brews
074 303 1533
brews.mike@gmail.com
Klaas
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Nelspruit

Unread post by Klaas » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:25 pm

Was daar al 'n vergadering met die versekeraar? Die kontak persoon kan nie steeds met verlof wees nie.
DC→AC™ Ω ♪♫♪ Hoë Spanning ♫♪♫ ℅ Elektries Onbeperk Δ → ∞ Voorsprong deur tegnologie ☼ №① ... ҉. ∞∞∞∞. ҉
garethbarry
Pre-take off checks

Unread post by garethbarry » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:18 am

Well, I have started to save the R4000, in order to get the approval and forget about this issue. Phoned the ICASA chap (Mr Mungalo) and he says they have recently implememted a "simplified" type approval process, whereby one can just send the test results rom for example whoever he FCC used for their tests, without having to send the actual device. That is at least some comfort (they cant destroy your radio if they deem it illegal) If unnecessary, then I will have some more money for a new plane
Klaas
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by Klaas » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:15 am

En wat is die koste volgens hom?
DC→AC™ Ω ♪♫♪ Hoë Spanning ♫♪♫ ℅ Elektries Onbeperk Δ → ∞ Voorsprong deur tegnologie ☼ №① ... ҉. ∞∞∞∞. ҉
danie.e
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: Henley
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 409 times

Unread post by danie.e » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:42 am

Klaas, ek dink die antwoord is "oviaas"

(definisie van oviaas: enige bedrag wat die man se gatsak laat lekker voel)
Danie.e
Don't just stik it, Drastik it
S.A. Agent for CY Models, King Max servos and Amass servo leads. Reseller of RCGF Petrol engines, Smartfly powerboxes, SkyRC Chargers and Power Supplies - http://www.aspaviation.co.za
garethbarry
Pre-take off checks

Unread post by garethbarry » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:56 am

yes, unfortunately still R4000, even though they aren't doing the testing. the only benefit as I can see is that you don't have to supply the actual item.
Klaas
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by Klaas » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:17 pm

Nie die koste werd nie. Taranis in buiteland aangekoop = $200 = R2,190 plus vervoerkoste plus doane koste plus btw plus R4,000 vir goedkeuring plus wonder of dit goedgekeur word. Al stem ek nie saam met die proses en koste nie, dit is hoe dit is. Dan koop ek eerder by die plaaslike handelaar vir R3900 wat reeds goedgekeur en wettig is, insluitend 1 ontvanger en sonder probleme en beter waarborg diens.
garethbarry
Pre-take off checks

Unread post by garethbarry » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:24 pm

Sorry Klaas, I misunderstood you. Yes you are right, if I had known before I would have gone locally as the cost of the Taranis+type approval is a lot :shock: But I have the radio now, and just want piece of mind. I would buy a brand new one through hobbyflightcentre, but I phoned them and they say that they dont have stickers, even though they have type approval (for the module that the taranis uses only).
Mike Brews

Unread post by Mike Brews » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:15 pm

Hi Guys,

Yes there has been a meeting with the insurer. I am just waiting for a statement from the chair and then I will publish.

Kind regards

Mike.
Kind Regards
Mike Brews
074 303 1533
brews.mike@gmail.com
Klaas
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by Klaas » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:21 pm

Ek het van die goeie nuus gehoor. Ek sal dit los tot dit amptelik bekend gemaak word in die SAMAA nuus of dat Mike self dit hier bekend maak. Dan kry almal dit in die regte detail sonder moontlike verkeerde interpretasie van my kant af. Baie dankie vir die SAMAA komitee wat die saak aangevat en uitgesorteer het.
Gary Lees
Airborne from Unmanned field
Closest Airfield: FAOR
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by Gary Lees » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:15 am

More than a week since the meeting and still no official information. Is this topic also going to follow the same way of the "Clarity" thread.
As I have previously said, be transparent then all this speculation will stop.

Return to “Ask SAMAA”