gas plane rx life packs question

Radio Controlled and static aviation scale models. Including Nitro, Electric, Free flight, Control line and Gliders. All disciplines welcome.

Moderator: Moderators

extra300s
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Malmesbury
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

gas plane rx life packs question

Unread post by extra300s » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:11 pm

Hi guys

Just a question. Do you leave your life rx batteries in the plane to avoid wearing the tiny connectors out, and if so, how do you balance charge them? Extensions on balance leads? And charge via them?

Thanks
Futaba!!!!
timmy
Engine re-started
Been liked: 0

Re: gas plane rx life packs question

Unread post by timmy » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:38 pm

you hit the head on the nail, balance charge through the balance lead with extension, or normal balance charge using the main leads on the 3 wire switch, which ever method you use the lifes MUST be balance charged.

Tim
How can i soar like an eagle when i work with turkeys!
TimB
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by TimB » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:24 pm

I remove the A123 packs to (balance) charge. Th switches get replaced after 100hrs of use so by then the battery pack is likely finished so i just replace those items in one go.
clivem
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: howick
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by clivem » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:28 pm

nothing to do with wearing out connectors, but yes i leave mine in, balance charge them with extensions - every time.
SA Agent for Flex Innovations, 3DHS , AJ Aircraft, Krill, Topmodel, GP Engines, Falcon Propellors, MTW Cannisters, Emcotec Electronics, Fromeco and Tech Aero Products

Save a plane - Fly FUTABA !!!
http://www.cmchobbies.co.za
extra300s
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Malmesbury
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by extra300s » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:29 pm

Ok thanks guys. Like idea of removing and then just after +-200 flights replace the switches.
Futaba!!!!
TimB
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by TimB » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:08 pm

100hrs is a lot more than 200 flights!

averaging 10min per flight that's 6flights per hour. 100hrs is roughly 600flights. I've only just reached 50hrs on my 2 oldest Petrol engines (DLE20 and Mintor 33)
It really is quite a lot of flying but not so much over three years.

If you prefer to replace after 200flights that's OK its your choice but you should get better life out of quality components.

For switches I use various types incl Smart-fly, Futaba Heavy duty, Emcotec Fuel Cap Magnetic switches.
For igntion control I use a Smart-Fly Opto kill and Tech-Aero.
For Servo's I tend to use almost exclusively Futaba, JR and SAVOX.

I've seen some switches intended for small glow planes being used on large scale planes. That's OK if you running an electric set up with separate Rx battery but for single cylinder petrol engines heavy duty switches are a must for safety and reliability.

I also use quality A123 batteries in my large planes. These are from Hangtimes, Fromeco and Emcotec. All are the Steel case A123 cells. These I find to much more reliable and better able to deliver current. Soft cell packs are just to variable in reliability for me to risk my planes and club mates. I've dodged a few bullets with those soft cell LIFE's whereby those that have failed have done so on power up, or on the runway while checking controls. It could have been different.

Its a good idea to run two batteris through separate switches into the Rx on large planes but thus far the reliability of A123 I haven't need ed to

Return to “General Model Aircraft Chatter”