"Antic" static display model- Completed

Radio Controlled and static aviation scale models. Including Nitro, Electric, Free flight, Control line and Gliders. All disciplines welcome.

Moderator: Moderators

Slopehead
Stressed Eric ain't got nothing on me
Closest Airfield: Howick Model Fliers Club
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: "Antic" static display model

Unread post by Slopehead » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:12 pm

A rare talent in this day and age, awesome work Theuns.
May this inspire all of us to get back to the building board :shock:
Slopehead
Theuns v V
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: Rand
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 96 times

Unread post by Theuns v V » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:13 pm

I have to build my own stuff (when I get time) because the planes I like you can't go and buy :)

Here is a nieat way of forming curved wood for things like tailplanes ect.
I use the same tecnique when making wooden wing tip bows on full size. It makes for a very strong structure and there is no stress on it when the glue dries.

I cut strips of wood and wet it so it can bend. Put it in the form and let it dry. When removed it will spring back about 50% but then I glue it and when cured all springback is gone.

T
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Theuns v V
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing

Unread post by Theuns v V » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:16 pm

I put the fabric on the stab to see the results but I was very dissapointed with the results. It looks like the same stuff I used on the Neuport 11 project but because I will not be putting any silver dope over this time the effect of the brushed on coat os dope looks real akkies!
Because of it being fabric, the dope will pool a little in some places and not in others, on the whilt fabric it is not an issue but with the light brown fabric I got I think the thinners in the dope might be affecting the dye of the fabric and making it look "blotchy". Strangely enough this is actually quite scale but it might look like "afskeep werk" to the non- modler.

So , what is the solution - I think I will go for the white fabric and have to then paint the cream colour on it for the vintage look.I will just have to paint very light to still be able to see though the fabric....

T
spacewalker2
Rotating
Closest Airfield: Springs
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 0

Unread post by spacewalker2 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:44 pm

Hi Theuns
Watse gom gebruik jy op daai bow tip lamination's?
Cyno of hout gom?
SW2
Airspeed, Altitude and Brains! You need at least two of them at all times!
Theuns v V
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing

Unread post by Theuns v V » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:04 am

wit hout lym, gee tyd om te werk en cyno maak die hout bros.

T
Trevorn
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FAWK
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by Trevorn » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:22 am

I would cover it in Irish Linen, just like the full size was. No paint, and you can spray water on it with a atomizer spray bottle to shrink it, then coat it with sanding sealer.(you can control the amount it shrinks by the amount of water you spray on it) Irish Linen is available at fabric shops such as Metro and is very cheap compared to Solartex. Different weights are also available. Calico would also work. I plan on doing my 1/3 Triplane in linen.

But it looks very good. What restaurant is it going in? We need to visit that one.
Trevorn
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by Trevorn » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:25 am

Theuns v V wrote:wit hout lym, gee tyd om te werk en cyno maak die hout bros.

T
Alcolin professional wood glue (the yellow glue in a red and white bottel) works very well, but sands much better than the white wood glues do.
Theuns v V
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing

Unread post by Theuns v V » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:01 pm

I went past my local "big" fabric shop but the sales person had no idea what irish linnen or Grade A cotton was....
Have you got access to it Trevor??

Failing getting hold of it I will order a roll of aircraft fabric (light) from Galvinor in DBN....they only sell it in rolls of 50m though :roll:

Trevor , it is a new range of restaurants opening up "old italian" style. Will keep you posted.

T
Trevorn
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by Trevorn » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:22 pm

Theuns v V wrote:I went past my local "big" fabric shop but the sales person had no idea what irish linnen or Grade A cotton was....
Have you got access to it Trevor??

Failing getting hold of it I will order a roll of aircraft fabric (light) from Galvinor in DBN....they only sell it in rolls of 50m though :roll:

Trevor , it is a new range of restaurants opening up "old italian" style. Will keep you posted.

T
Yes, Metro in Centurion has lots. But you can also ask for Calico. It looks almost the same, maybe not quite as pure.
How much are you looking for? I could pick some up for you.

But give these guys a try. They most certainly will have calico, in not Irish linen

http://www.fionas.co.za/index.html
Theuns v V
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing

Unread post by Theuns v V » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:15 pm

I went to another fabric shop and these gyus were more helpfull. Tey actually knew what irish linnen was although they did not have any.

I got some Calico aswell as some polli-cotton.
The Calico seems quite heavy woven where as the pollicoton is allot finer, almost like solar tex weave. The trick now it to see if bothe will shrink enough by wetting it. I think the pollicotton must ba a blend of natural and sintetic so might not shring as much with water only. I will have to look at either taughting dope or sanding sealer to help.

Trevor, ho do you attatch the fabric to say a 10mm diameter dowl on a tail plane? The Calico seems quite hard, I understand it goes soft if wetted but surely it will shrink before the glue to the frame cures??

I have been looking every where for sig stix it locally but can't find any heat activated glue. The experiment I did with 50% thinned dope as a glue with the very thin pollyester does work but no fabric likes to really go around tight curves with dope only.

T
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trevorn
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by Trevorn » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:34 pm

The Latex based craft glues, or even bostick would work. If you attach the curves on the bias of the fabric (45 degrees to the weave) it is far more accommodating.

Wetting the fabric before it is securely attached will be like putting a hot iron to un attached solartex. It can be applied very lose as it will shrink quite a bit. Much More than solartex would.

But remember the fabrics are normally sold as pre shrunk and un shrunk.

You are going to have to make a few test frames and get a feel for it.
Theuns v V
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing

Unread post by Theuns v V » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:13 pm

I have done tests now with a doped joint aswell as a glued joint. The glue I got is "fabric" glue from the fabric shop. It looks like and feels like ponal PVA it does smell different....latex based maybe?
I put it on a 10mm dowl and let it cure. Then I ironed some of the polli cotton onto it with a hot iron, it actually stuck down very well so I might be onto the winning track here :)

As soon as I can get the fin off the building board I will put the polli cotton on first to test. This should be the most tricky to cover because of the curved leading edge.

T
SteveJay
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FASK
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by SteveJay » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:01 pm

You are on the right track Theuns - Heritage product range (most art /craft shops) has a fabric adhesive that works just as well as "Balsaloc" from the LHS. Big difference is that 100g of Balsaloc costs GBP 3.90 (R70) if you buy it in the UK, last I saw it locally it was well over R100 (for 100cc). One litre fabric adhesive cost me about that. The factory shop is in Jhb (Loveday Str. South I think.

It does look and feel just like Gewone Ponal, but it is not. Ponal will heat bond (polymerise) but only if you coat both sides, frame and cloth.

There are other ways to skin this cat, Bleriot gets good results using Cyno for attaching the cloth and some prefer using sanding sealer as a "dope" and covering in the traditional full size way, much the same as covering with tissue or Jap silk.

Fabric Adhesive is odourless, easy to apply (I use my finger), dries quickly and after you have applied it to the frame, you proceed as you were using Solartex /Oratex - simply iron it on!! Just remember to apply adhesive to any overlaps (cloth to cloth).
Theuns v V
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing

Unread post by Theuns v V » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:22 pm

I have put a coat of glue onto the stab, it takes overnight to fully cure before I can iron onn the fabric.
I have seen balsa lock at my LHS but was not aware it was a glue like stix it??

Here is the glue I use.

T
Theuns v V
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing

Unread post by Theuns v V » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:12 pm

The one side of the stab has been covered, the glue reacts quite well to heat and the polli cotton. I am rather happy with the results so far.
The other side will go on tomorrow. Then I need to see if it will go taught..... 8-[ 8-[

Return to “General Model Aircraft Chatter”