Old Jr radio with old djt frsky module ?

Radio Controlled and static aviation scale models. Including Nitro, Electric, Free flight, Control line and Gliders. All disciplines welcome.

Moderator: Moderators

skytrooper
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 24 times

Old Jr radio with old djt frsky module ?

Unread post by skytrooper » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:58 am

Have anyone ever successfully bound an X8R frsky receiver to an older Jr radio with a frsky DJT module ?

I spoke to one of our local get together field members and he wants to know if it will be possible to do and use it with the latest quadcopter flight controllers out there ?

Doing a youtube search i came across a video demonstrating this successfully, however some people seemingly are not getting it right ?

So does it work, is it a myth that it will work ? Is it a myth that it will not work ? Are there any limitations as to the radio and DJT module itself being limited and not compatible with communicating quickly enough with the latest racing quadcopter flight controllers. I know you can only bind in D8 mode and not D16 if you can bind to the X8R ? but is this an issue and might there be any other issues ?

Myself and a few other members on here have been trying to get him a used Frsky X7 radio but there is none available, so if anyone knows if the scenario above will work that have tried it ?
Ubluwulululululu....!
skytrooper
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 24 times

Re: Old Jr radio with old djt frsky module ?

Unread post by skytrooper » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:12 am

Digging in a bit deeper into this as i really am trying to help out this poor man:
If anyone has anything to add please do:

I was told the following:

You can put the DJT in D8 mode, bind the X8R in D8 mode (using the jumper, not the bind button) and it should all work for control using SBUS between receiver and FC.

You will get low refresh rate and high latency compared to modern solutions, whether that matters or not depends on how you fly.

Now this is the important part:

Will the low refresh rate and high latency affect the drone's response time between the flight controller and esc's ?

What i'm essentially asking is, will the drone be able to fly at it's full potential without any latent response time between the FC and flight controller (causing oscillations or vibrations)

Does the low latency and refresh rate affect the above or does it only affect the response time
of input between the drone and the transmitter (just being a little slower to respond to stick inputs ??)

We need to know if the low latency and refresh rate will cause the drone to oscillate, vibrate especially at high speed. (or is the oscillation/vibration issue solely related to the fc and esc's ability to communicate with each other ?)
Ubluwulululululu....!

Return to “General Model Aircraft Chatter”