GP 176 cc Monster Engine

Radio Controlled and static aviation scale models. Including Nitro, Electric, Free flight, Control line and Gliders. All disciplines welcome.

Moderator: Moderators

SYBOT
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: close
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

GP 176 cc Monster Engine

Unread post by SYBOT » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:05 pm

After the early demise of the ZDZ 160 on the Katana, I was searching for a new engine. Phoned Clive at CMC Hobbies for a quote and he mentioned that they are looking at getting the GP engines and if I would be interested in the 176cc. Having followed the development of this engines for a while now on Flying Giants I said immediately "yes".
The monster arrived eventually last week and today was the first time I took a good look into it.

Some info about the GP Engines:

Zi-Chun Lin from Taiwan, designed and manufacture these engines. If you are flying giant scale, this wonder boy does not need any introduction.
Currently the 88 and 176cc engines are the only available, but he has done a lot of development work to expand the range, follow his progress here http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/show ... ght=gp+176

Some vital statistics on the 176 cc:
Displacement:176cc
Output:19HP
Weight:3750g
Bore:53mm
Stroke:40.5mm
RPM:1600~6800
Warranty:2 years
Here is the new heart and out of the box:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SYBOT on Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.
SYBOT
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Re: GP 176 Monster

Unread post by SYBOT » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:20 pm

The carb is Walbro from Japan. In fact the only parts used for GP which originates from the main land, is the ignition from RCXEL. Even the plugs are genuine NGK CM6.
The casting work of the jugs etc is superb and spells quality. I opened the engines for two reasons: My fingers were itching and little pieces of Styrofoam from the packing were lose inside the box and suspect that may have found its way into the engine. Anyway, I open all my engines and flush them out before running. Although Zu-Chin does run his engines at the factory before sending them to their new homes.
Some more photos of what you get. Must say that those mufflers looks excellent too and comes with smoke taps and nipples;
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SYBOT
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Re: GP 176 Monster

Unread post by SYBOT » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:54 pm

Well I have opened the engine and found some styro balls inside. Carfully remove it with a soft plastic blade - petrol will disolve them into a sticky mess.
The insides are also well machined if compared to some Euro manufacturers, I can say even better. The pistons are looking strong and have a domed shaped top. I could not detected any blow back past the rings which indicates a good seal at this early stage of running (unlike some of the engines from the main land). Because of this I did not bother to measure the pistons and jugs to check roundness.(there are info about this on FG). Just a warning: If you open an engine make sure that your work surface is absolutely clean and assemble the things in the same place and position.
With the jugs of, it was easy to establish absolute TDC and I made marks for reference on the prop hub and crank case. The timing checked out fine - 28degrees on the dot.
Also checked the reed valves, which are nice and stiff and seals perfectly. The sealing surfaces of the reed block are also smooth and flat (hell, this must be german motor this :lol: )
I could not see what make of bearings are used, but the big ends are rollers and the small ends, bushed - same like many w's.

I found something irritating when screwing the prop bolts into the hub. They just would not turn in by hand. Got new ones from my spares and they would not either. I end up re-tapping the holes and clean the threads out. This is important to me as I like to screw in the prop bolts by hand as to make sure none of them have undue stress on them. This is one of the reasons for breaking these bolts in flight.

Anyway, more pictures some showing the styro balls inside the jug.
The carb has nice long arms, but I'll remove them and install my own which I like more. Next step will be to do the transplant. Oh man I am excited after having read how this beast compares to the CS version from 3W. :mrgreen:
The jugs are lined with ceramics and not chromed.
billyboy
Rolling from unmanned

Re: GP 176 cc Monster Engine

Unread post by billyboy » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:56 pm

so so so NICE enjoy
T Rex 600 nitro DX8 Spektrum
T Rex 500e T Rex 450
Laser 200 50cc
1/4 scale Taylor Craft 30cc
50cc GW Sukoi SU26m Fun Star fun flyer Cesna 182
Pitts 62cc Zenoha motor.1/4 scale RV 4 26cc
PH 0741632577 Margate KZN
SYBOT
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by SYBOT » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:20 pm

Tx BillyBoy.

I have fitted the engine, but the back of the spinner is sitting 4mm further forward than it was on the ZDZ - Will rather get a cf spacer made up and attached that to the back of the spinner than to move the firewall back. The muffler stacks exit about in the same position and I'll need to do minimal hole closing on the cowl.
I have started the engine this evening for the first time, six flips choke on and 2 flips choke off and it started to roar. Will check tomorrow on the tach and adjust the carb accordingly.
I also need to make new baffles and install but that will have to wait until I have two eyes again. So flying is still a bit further into the future. #-o
Seank
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: Bomac
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times

Unread post by Seank » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:42 pm

So Toby, what are you going to be putting this monster in?
http://www.seankriegler.com
Remember - "you only find out who is swimming naked when the tide goes out"
CNC Foam cutter building a new one
YES, I did it!!! I can now CNC cut epoxy glass and carbon fibre servo horns...
SYBOT
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by SYBOT » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:31 am

Seank wrote:So Toby, what are you going to be putting this monster in?
Sean, The engine is on the firewall, busy tuning it and then need to make new air ducts. Had an accident which injured my left eye, so I will have to wait a bit and then I am busy with a recovering job for client which I need to finish too:
SYBOT
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by SYBOT » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:57 pm

Some initial figures from this mornings testing after two tanks:
Prop 32x10 PT MODELS cf
Mix 50: 1
Highest rpm 5780
RPM with good color on plugs 5650 (best I got on the ZDZ WAS 5580) after 30 liters

Mid range quite clean for a new engine and was easy to hit.
Engine runs with minimal vibration
Idle dead still 1100 rpm
Got it to idle a 980 for a long time without quitting

Will push during next week another two tanks through it and then get her ready to fly again.
Seank
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand

Unread post by Seank » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:28 pm

Toby that is a awesome looking colour scheme if the Stabs are anything to go by. And I do so love Ultimates
Jase
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by Jase » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:38 pm

Looks very nice Toby, keen to hear how she pulls with a few more tanks through her and in the air. You do have a gift for covering planes. =D>
SYBOT
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by SYBOT » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:49 pm

Tx Sean and Jase, yip I would rather have your flying skills :D

Busy with the baffles and air ducts. Because of the the RHS cylinder being so far back, I can't attach the baffles to cowl like I normally do. Did some research on the issue and come up with an fellow rc'ers idea. Two bearers mounted to the sides of the engine box with screws and the ducting arrangement attached permanently to that. Can be quickly taken off if need to do something and it does not interfere with taking the cowl off or attaching it. Something that is going to happen because the two carb needles are totally obscured by the muffler.

Also came upon the first scientific explanation for why ducting is required. Not based on air dams and how many slats are required on a louver (also important because that is how u will achieve cooling), but based on math calculation of what kind of liter/minute air flow is required per watt power generated http://prme.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?t=148

What is quite significant is that with proper ducting and generation of adequate low pressure on the exit this have only to be 1.4 times the inlet. This guy even put ducting around his cylinder head with top portion of it totally exposed to air, quite a revelation to me.

'Till Later
Seank
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand

Unread post by Seank » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:43 pm

Pe, is very knowledgeable and a Nice Guy, mail him he will answer all the question if you have any. Pe always has time to help, even if you don't fly MVVS engines.
clivem
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: howick
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by clivem » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:01 pm

hey toby, i am back :D glad to see you at it and getting stuck in to this motor. looking forward to seeing and hearing all about it.

Pe is a wealth of knowledge on gas engines and cooling is one of his favourite topics. he does go the extra mile and certainly documents it well too. its so easy for us to discuss these things but without actually documenting it we are just guessing. see what we foiund recently here - viewtopic.php?f=16&t=97300&p=1093018#p1093018

anyway back to the gp 176cc :D
SA Agent for Flex Innovations, 3DHS , AJ Aircraft, Krill, Topmodel, GP Engines, Falcon Propellors, MTW Cannisters, Emcotec Electronics, Fromeco and Tech Aero Products

Save a plane - Fly FUTABA !!!
http://www.cmchobbies.co.za
SYBOT
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by SYBOT » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:43 am

Clive, yip I missed that - must be olds timers and one eye problem.
Do you know the history of this engine? This engine was hand picked by Fergus for his own, wait for this, his own Pilot Rc 40% Katana. Unselfishly, he gave this one to you when you ordered as it was the first one coming this way.

I am chatting with a guy in USA, he says the GP 88 hauls a 100cc plane around like it is a foamy - going to trade all his DA120's to get this for his planes too.
Jaco wants to know when will the 60cc be released, he has a plane ready for it.
clivem
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: howick
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by clivem » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:28 pm

toby
yeah - all the GP engines are pre-run at the factory and tested. the 176cc you have is one that fergus had hand picked for his own katana. :D now its in yours :D
the 61 and 123 will be out later this year - around october.... the great thing with these engines is they develop them and then do extensive running and flying them, thus they sort out any problems PRIOR to release =D> =D> =D>
SA Agent for Flex Innovations, 3DHS , AJ Aircraft, Krill, Topmodel, GP Engines, Falcon Propellors, MTW Cannisters, Emcotec Electronics, Fromeco and Tech Aero Products

Save a plane - Fly FUTABA !!!
http://www.cmchobbies.co.za

Return to “General Model Aircraft Chatter”