CAA WEBSITE

Questions to the CEO of the SACAA. Please ensure posts comply with the Read Before posting announcement.

Moderator: Moderators

WagAero
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 24 times

CAA WEBSITE

Unread post by WagAero » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Hi Colin
I have recently registered for an exam and rather than the internet site making the process easier it neccessitated a number of calls to the CAA offices to get the correct information. It would have simply been easier calling the offices in the first place and not bothering with the website.

The website is incorrect in a number of areas that I needed to access regarding a simple procedure like registering for a simple exam.

1. Consider you FAQ's
How many subjects do I need to enrol for the first time to carry credits, when doing my Airline Transport Pilot Licence (ATP), Commercial Transport Licence (CPL) and instrument flight rating?

You need to enrol for four subjects and pass three of them. Is this correct

2. Fees to register are listed as R 200 Wrong its R220

3. Registration form ... lists two sittings - after chatting to CAA personell regarding which form and the fact there are three sitting times I again had to confirm I had the correct form. Can this form not simply be updated so as not to cause confusion.

4. Your website liste working hours from -800 - 0400 - well no one seems to answer the exams area as confirmed by you switchboard .... she would not even put me through after 3:30 as she claimed it would not be answered. If the working hours have changed can you please rectify this or advise what times personell will be on duty so as to avoid frustration and wasted time.

5. Your site lists a number of E mails to contact in a table... none for Exams ??? the same table lists your e mail ... this is the response when one tries to mail you mail -

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed.

commissioner@caa.co.za

If these are the problems I encountered with just a small part of the site how can one rely on the rest - this is scary !!!

I would be willing to make my services available to assist with improving the site for the benefit of users and a better image for CAA.

Regards
Ernie Alexander
Colin Jordaan
Pre-take off checks
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: CAA WEBSITE

Unread post by Colin Jordaan » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:54 pm

Dear Ernie
Thanks for the feedback on the website.
We will address the areas you have highlighted where errors exist.
The CAA is very aware that the website requires upgrading and a number of tender specifications have already been produced.
We are however in the process of acquiring an Enterprise wide electronic records and data managment system, and are making sure that the two systems will be able to talk to each other.
The new website will allow for interactive online applications for all aspects of the CAA's responsibilities and will address many of the frustrations that clients are currently experiencing.
Although the website does give some information about certain items, the official publications for items such as exam session times are the AIC's, which are downloadble from the website and are also included in the integrated Aeronautical Information Pack which is mailed to all licenced personnel.
With regard to access to Exams staff at 3:30 p.m., they are in the office, but are busy closing out the final session and preparing for the the next early morning session. The operator should have put you through, as there is voice mail which is always responded to the next day.
There is an email address for exams in place now, it is exams@caa.co.za.
When I created the "Open Door" facility on AvCom, I closed down the commissioner email because I also function as the CEO of the CAA, and I would rather deal with queries in a forum that everyone can see, as opposed to having to repeatedly respond to a large volume of individual queries. I have had the address removed from the website.
I hope that I have been able to answer all of your queries
Best regards
Colin
WagAero
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 24 times

Re: CAA WEBSITE

Unread post by WagAero » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:21 am

Thanks you for your full reply. I certainly hope the comments were helpful and appreciate the efforts - I look fwd to the new developments.
regards
Ernie

Return to “CAA Open Door”