Deaf Pilots?

Medicine and other human performance related issues.

Moderator: Moderators

Chalkie
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FAPX

Re: Deaf Pilots?

Unread post by Chalkie » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:13 pm

Flymed wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:18 am
CAA does not require testing at 5000Hz, but only for 500, 1000, 2000 and 3000Hz.
Sorry, my mistake :oops: It is 3000Hz.

What I do not understand is I pass the whisper test with my DAME and CAA are going the whole hog after me. Comair B738 simulator hire for one hour, plus I have to pay for simulator instructor, plus CAA Senior AME, plus CAA approve DAME, plus CAA approved ENT Professor etc All this for a retired ex ATPL, now CPL and soon to be PPL. :shock:

All this and all it should take is an interview in the doctor's office where they can talk, give ATC instructions etc and see if I can hear, understand and respond.

To me they are hunting rabbits with a 12inch cannon. Collateral damage for me to pay for... [-(
Rule #2 Hurry up Slowly.
Cynic: One who knows the cost of everything and the value of nothing.
Flymed
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: Greater Gauteng

Unread post by Flymed » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:13 pm

The cut off value is more than 50dB at 3000Hz. If you are at 50 dB at 3000dB and no more, it is time that your doctor writes a stern letter to SACAA; and if he/she is the reason for such a decision, then it is time for a new doctor. That is if your hearing threshold is at 50 or less, and the lower frequencies at 35 or less.
Hope this helps.
Rotor kop
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Closest Airfield: OR Thambo

Unread post by Rotor kop » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:48 am

Chalkie i also have titinus in both ears (one is worse than other) from shooting (and plenty slaps from Mom) big caliber rifles without earmuffs as youngster. I somehow pass my hearing test every year even though my ears ring badly.
To fly is Heavenly, but to HOVER is Divine
I'm not driving fast - i'm flying low
cage
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC

Unread post by cage » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:06 am

Rotor kop wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:48 am
Chalkie i also have titinus in both ears (one is worse than other) from shooting (and plenty slaps from Mom) big caliber rifles without earmuffs as youngster. I somehow pass my hearing test every year even though my ears ring badly.
Is your doc using the new test equipment for older pilots?
Screenshot 2018-09-12 at 10.05.45.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Skymaster
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FAGM

Unread post by Skymaster » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:51 pm

Most people thing that being deaf means that you can't hear.
This is not true.
Most "deaf" people can hear, with their hearing attenuated at certain frequencies.
Modern hearing aids can be adjusted to amplify these frequencies so that full spectrum hearing can be attained.
This is done by an audiologist who determines your attenuated frequencies and adjusts the hearing aids via a computer and wi-fi.
I have a hearing problem and purchased a pair of the latest devices.
They are remarkable.
They have a wi fi faclity that connects them to your cell phone - so simple pressing a button on the near invisible device behind your ear, connects to the phone and Voila, your call comes though on your hearing devices!!
You can talk back hands free as the mike in the hearing devices picks up your voice and wifi's it to your phone!
Also a small wi fi device plugs into the TV which allows you to control the volume of the sound into your hearing devices, in amazing stereo, without irritating anyone with normal hearing.
One can also adjust the "focus" of the hearing devices to allow you to cut out a noisy restaurant and focus on the person you are talking to!!
I have used them when flying with Lighspeed Zulus and they are fantastic.
Not cheap, but Medical Aid will pay for one ear so you buy one in December and the other in January!

Return to “Aviation medical and related issues”