Cholesterol - Risk myth?

Medicine and other human performance related issues.

Moderator: Moderators

flyboy78
Aircraft in Hangar
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Cholesterol - Risk myth?

Unread post by flyboy78 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:42 pm

Hi. You're all doing exceptional research and getting to the latest findings.
This is so positive for you. Good luck.
Through following the Banting Lifestyle, I've now lost 21kg, regained much energy,
& renewed my ALTP without any medical issues.
I've also been trained by The Real Meal Revolution, as a Certified Banting Coach,
of which there are now 100 in the world.
It would be great if all reading this would join my Real Group at:

http://realmealrevolution.com/profile/t ... ter/115179
Or on-line group url
http://realmealrevolution.com/group/tru ... online/126
Walid
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FALA

Unread post by Walid » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:16 am

rainier
1k poster
1k poster
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 31 times

Unread post by rainier » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:33 pm

Sure. Nice recommendation - just get some Niacin (Vitamin B3). Try and get some in South Africa. Good luck to you. It's been successfully wiped out here. I have to import mine now. I use two grams per day split over two doses.
No, you can't use the "flush free" stuff - that does absolutely nothing (enough research on that...). Do your homework.

BTW, good news on my side - been on my "protocol" now for some 9 months and my cholesterol is unbelievable. No really - when I got my results three weeks ago I thought they must have mixed up the samples. That just was not me.
I used to be around a 6.5 or so (total), bad LDL and TG, HDL under 1.0. With statins I could get it to below 5.0 but LDL still high and no effect on HDL. Now my total is 3.4, LDL is 1.7, HDL is 1.5 and TG just 0.34. That's a really healthy level with a good composition.
This lends credibility to the idea that high cholesterol in many cases is a result and not the fundamental cause (just like homosystine). Fix the cause (which I did) and your body simply adjusts itself to what it really needs. Quite remarkable.
Well, my cardiologist has taken notice and is starting to give some of this info to his more difficult patients, it's not possible to ignore this now...

Rainier
Who said the sky is the limit ? I think not.
Walid
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by Walid » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:32 am

rainier
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by rainier » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:07 pm

The homosystine theory has been proved wrong long ago. It was a neat idea at the time but the reality unfortunately shows elevated levels are a result - not a cause. It's easy to significantly lower these levels with vitamin therapy but sadly this has shown absolutely zero effect on the outcome of heart disease. It's difficult to kill such information on the internet and it keeps on propagating. It should be binned. It remains one of the most useful INDICATORS that you have a problem. But like an indicator - messing with it does not change the source of the indication.

However more relevant than this is that elevated cholesterol levels appear to also be a result and not so much a cause (but certainly involved, not as a cause but as a mechanism). This is why your cholesterol levels "magically" return to normal once you have attended to the cause which in the case of arteriosclerosis is simply "inflammation" on a fairly massive scale. Get rid of the cause of the inflammation and it takes your body from weeks to months (depending on severity) to correct the cholesterol levels. This correction is not just lowering LDL but affects the entire lipid profile.
Incidentally - it is pretty much established fact that statins (which do show a positive effect on outcomes, even if not to a great extent), lower your risk by lowering inflammation. The fact that LDL is lowered by the statin does not appear to have much effect on outcomes. This makes sense since other medications like fibrates and absorption blockers have so far failed to provide medically accepted proof that outcomes are positively affected despite seemingly good effects on the lipid profiles.

Again, I can once again only refer to my own rather dramatic experiments on myself. The fact that cholesterol is a result and not the cause was THE one thing I did NOT believe. While this is getting increasing attention there is a lack of relevant research to prove it. Anyway, I am now a convert as quite simply, my own body reacted in precisely the predicted (or promised) way and my many years of stubbornly high cholesterol levels are well and truly over. I have nailed my arteriosclerosis problems - they are gone for good.
What more do you want ?

Rainier
PO
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: H2Oklf
Has liked: 12 times

Unread post by PO » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:26 pm

http://foodmed.net/2016/10/25/zoe-harco ... eart-lchf/
Noakes once memorably called statins “the single most ineffective drug ever invented”. In her evidence for Noakes at the Health Professions Council of SA (HPCSA) hearing against him in Cape Town, Harcombe called statins “one of the biggest crimes against humanity that the pharmaceutical industry has unleashed”.

(Perhaps not 100% on topic, but related in a way : http://foodmed.net/2016/10/24/mistake-m ... f-banting/ )

rainier
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by rainier » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:25 pm

My advise is: Be careful and try and take a balanced view. Too many times do you find very biased, even aggressive views on just about any medical subject.
In part this is due to lack of transparency, in part due to non standardized research methods and often you can notice selective reporting. It is true that the medical profession as a whole (not just doctors which tend to be at the dispensing end) is not exactly optimum but it's what we have.
Yes, I completely agree - statins are completely over prescribed. I do not agree that this is deliberately evil in intent. Rather it is a result of convenience. It fits the modern medical chain like a glove - take a pill, and back it up by a well developed blood test. Your doctor may add some good advice (like diet, exercise, carefully worded additional things you can look at - liability plays a role).
Understand what a statin does and how it fits into the bigger picture. It does have its uses but like any medication it needs to be taken when it is useful and the usefulness outweighs the risk. There is a definite problem assuming a statin is a silver bullet for heart problems. It just isn't - that I can vouch for with personal experience.
Regarding Tim's work - the very same thing applies. He is onto something but again it is not necessarily indicated for everybody in the same way. Treat it like a medication, in fact treat your entire food intake as medication. It's complex. Understand what your body does with whatever you throw at it. Understand what your body needs - it WILL be different from what the person next to you needs. Your needs change with age, activity and general health status. Sadly you will not find a recipe made just for you right now. You will have to figure it out yourself. Tim's books can help but don't go in there like a religious fanatic (like some) - keep a balanced view and look at everything.

Rainier
Iceberg
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAWB
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 14 times

Unread post by Iceberg » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:52 am

Rainier - one of the best posts in this section.
Your central message - every person is different and has to find what works for him - is the key.
We all tend to latch onto the latest trends and fads looking for that quick fix.
The sky is not the limit....
ZS-MDK
Karl Eschberger
Walid
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by Walid » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:31 am

Rooster
Hot start of aircraft
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Rooster » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:17 pm

Iceberg wrote:Rainier - one of the best posts in this section.
Your central message - every person is different and has to find what works for him - is the key.
We all tend to latch onto the latest trends and fads looking for that quick fix.
Latest Trend? I don't know.
My Father in Law has been doing research on this for nearly 20 years, and the medical journals still do not want to publish his findings because the drug companies are the biggest advertisers.
His message to me is; " Eat more fish, take Vitamin D, Take some fish oil or linseed oil tablets (Omega 3's and 6's), Eat no sugar, try to avoid pasteurised milk -Drink raw milk in your teas etc, Enjoy your butter and cheese, exercise a lot and above all, Never, Never Take Statins!

Loads of researched articles in his blog....
My doctor doing my annual medical has caught on too and is really up there with it when it comes to knowledge regarding the skewed figures that the drug companies used to promote certain treatments.

http://drnevillewilson.com/2016/08/12/r ... al-trials/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rELVKBOe2c

http://drnevillewilson.com/

He has done some research on the lies spun to us regarding vaccinations too. Apparently mental health side effects are a possibility in some because of the contents in the vaccines.....
If a dog is grinning, it may not be happy!
Rooster
Hot start of aircraft
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Rooster » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:37 pm

If a dog is grinning, it may not be happy!
airdale
Take off Clearance

Unread post by airdale » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:13 am

Rainier

Its nearly a year since you started using the alternative.

Any feedback up to date?

Regards

Airdale
rainier
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by rainier » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:43 pm

airdale wrote:Rainier

Its nearly a year since you started using the alternative.

Any feedback up to date?

Regards

Airdale
Hi - well, it is more than that now - about 15 months I'd say.

I have written a bit of a thesis on the whole thing complete with some ECG readouts, lots of comments, do's and don't's and my personal experiences. I have not published it but you can view it at https://www.absoluteskin.co.za/arteriosclerosis/

This website is run by my brother, also a long term sufferer of the same malady. He has this on-line business normally selling cosmetics but he has been helpful importing some of the harder to find ingredients he now peddles as well at reasonable prices.

I a nutshell - I'm doing very well (thanks for asking). Essentially the problem appears to have gone away, my cholesterol has restored to perfect levels all by itself (my GP finds this hard to swallow but there you go...). I am nicely fit again and can do any amount of exercise without any trace of cardiac issues and of course my flight medical is back in my pocket (Hurrah !). Remarkably many little "age related" niggles have disappeared completely as well so it looks like this whole thing goes much deeper than just sorting out a few arteries.

I could not be happier about the results and do admit I find it astounding. Very unexpected. Why did my doctor not know about this ? It is so simple and makes so much sense.

Rainier
airdale
Take off Clearance

Unread post by airdale » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:29 pm

Thank you very much for your feedback Rainier

I am glad things are working out so well

Regards and have a nice day

Airdale
PO
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: H2Oklf
Has liked: 12 times

Unread post by PO » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:15 am

From BJSM:
Saturated fat does not clog the arteries:
coronary heart disease is a chronic
inflammatory condition, the risk of
which can be effectively reduced from
healthy lifestyle interventions
LDL CHOLESTEROL RISK HAS BEEN EXAGGERATED
Decades of emphasis on the primacy of
lowering plasma cholesterol, as if this was
an end in itself and driving a market of
‘proven to lower cholesterol’ and ‘lowfat’
foods and medications, has been
misguided. Selective reporting may partly
explain this misconception. Reanalysis of
unpublished data from the Sydney Diet
Heart Study and the Minnesota coronary
experiment reveal replacing saturated fat
with linoleic acid containing vegetable oils
increased mortality risk despite significant
reductions in LDL and total cholesterol

(TC).7
Ref to attachement for more
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Aviation medical and related issues”