Cholesterol - Risk myth?

Medicine and other human performance related issues.

Moderator: Moderators

rainier
1k poster
1k poster
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Cholesterol - Risk myth?

Unread post by rainier » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:41 pm

Yes and amen to that brother !

Indeed it is a chronic inflammatory condition - any cardio thoracic surgeon will tell you that, it's blindingly obvious.

Sadly, just a few lifestyle changes may not be enough to fix the problem - you may be affected by genetics. Most of us Europeans are, in particular if your ancestors hark from the northern parts of Europe.
Genetics does not cause arteriosclerosis - it merely sets the stage for it to take its course.
We can't fix that but we can intervene quite successfully. But it requires thinking outside the box (outside the doctor's office ?). There is no "one pill" magic trick here.

It's exactly like fixing a rough running engine - drill down to the actual seed of the problem and stop the progression by understanding what is going on and what can aid the prevention of what is a slow progression involving multiple contributing factors - and yes, lifestyle (including diet) is one of them, but certainly this is not all there is to it.

It turns out we know the exact start and the cause of it and we know that in detail for at least two decades thanks to pioneering but heavily criticized work of double Nobel price laureate Linus Pauling and Dr.Matthias Rath. Their work helped set things in motion and I credit the fact that I am around to type this here right now to them and many others which expanded on the research in recent years.

Rainier
Who said the sky is the limit ? I think not.
HansH2
Post Take off checks
Closest Airfield: Margate
Been liked: 0

Unread post by HansH2 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:52 pm

A few years ago my cholesterol was found to be slightly elevated during a blood test and my GP put me onto Simvastatin 20." A wonder drug that will solve all my problems and increase my lifespan by many years". After a few months I started feeling a slight discomfort around my shoulder and neck muscles which kept on getting worse until I saw the GP who then remarked that I was one of the rare cases who has encountered this problem and changed the dosage from 20 to 10 mgs. This solved the problem. However, after well over a year I started feeling slight pains in my wrists which I assumed was the onset of arthritis and over the next year niggles in my left upper arm started which I blamed on an old sport injury and then gradually my right upper arm also started being painful and then my inner thigh joined the party which made it painful getting in and out of the car. Just for info, the pain I suffered was brought about by stretching my arms which resulted in a vicious stabbing pain that lasted for about 20-30 secs before subsiding.
Amazingly enough I never even suspected that the statin could be the culprit, after all it is a wonder drug. My 5 times a week visits to the gym were becoming a bit of a joke and eventually there were only 2 exercises left that I could do on the circuit without going through the roof. At this stage I figured that a visit to the GP was on the cards but at the same time I came across this thread. After carefully assessing all the facts I felt that it was worth my while to stop the statins for a period and start using Cholestrolease. At the start I did a cholesterol test at a Clicks clinic and followed it up with another from the local pathologists. Both readings were similar at 5.4. Since starting the Cholesterolease I have been using 3 sachets daily. About 2 weeks after stopping the statin the muscular pain started easing very gradually and after 2 months I have full use of my right arm at the gym but still partial use of my left arm. Nevertheless a gradual improvement is noticable but this delay is not surprising since the pain in the left arm started nearly a year before the other so I guess the muscle damage was more extensive. In my case the onset of pain was over a long period, an insidious subtle attack.
Today I did a cholesterol check at Clicks Clinic just to see what trend the readings were taking and they came up with 4.9. So all in all I would say that at this time this appears to be the way to go. Carrying on with 3 sachets of Cholesterolease and will do another check in 2 months time.
Thanks for all your info Rainier.
rainier
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by rainier » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:20 pm

Thanks for the post, yes I have been getting quite a number of responses like this.
One thing I must mention: Do NOT rely on the cholesterol screening test using the strips. This does not give meaningful results if your blood serum contains high levels of ascorbic acid. As you are taking this regularly you will now be about at tissue saturation level which means a constant feed of ascorbic acid back from your tissues into your serum between doses (and between the spikes).
The information leaflet that comes with the cholesterol strips specifically points this out.

I have one of those machines I bought several years ago and found it is still showing relatively high levels - however go and do a proper blood test with a lab and the result is MUCH less.

People suffering from statin side effects are certainly not "rare cases". Current statistics show at least 1/3 of users show side effects, many are mild, some are serious. It gets worse the longer you take the stuff. Yes, my own GP which I do hold in high respect did not pick up on this and started treating me with cortisone injections after I started complaining about joint and muscle pains. The injections did nothing to help. I only clicked after trying to find a possible cause using "Dr. Google". Stopped the stuff and things improved fairly quickly. A few years later the docs convinced me to try a new statin: Crestor. This was indeed much better but after 12 months or so the familiar pains returned - and quickly got very bad. I stopped again. This time it took me more than a year to recover. Then I got convinced by the doc to try a fibrate. After all that is not a statin and works differently. It really worked well - cholesterol way down, in particular triglycerides. Three months later I could no longer put any weight on my knees, hands, elbows, shoulders, feet and in particular my lower back where in crises. I stopped. A month later the saga that is well documented here on this forum started with my Cardiologist recommending me for an urgent triple bypass after I failed my flight medical. I declined (I had a quad bypass more than a decade ago and don't want another). Dr Google to the rescue. I just wish I would have known all this 15 years ago. I could have saved myself a whole lot of trouble...

Good luck - keep us updated, positive or negative - does not matter. The more we learn the better.

Rainier
HansH2 wrote:A few years ago my cholesterol was found to be slightly elevated during a blood test and my GP put me onto Simvastatin 20." A wonder drug that will solve all my problems and increase my lifespan by many years". After a few months I started feeling a slight discomfort around my shoulder and neck muscles which kept on getting worse until I saw the GP who then remarked that I was one of the rare cases who has encountered this problem and changed the dosage from 20 to 10 mgs. This solved the problem. However, after well over a year I started feeling slight pains in my wrists which I assumed was the onset of arthritis and over the next year niggles in my left upper arm started which I blamed on an old sport injury and then gradually my right upper arm also started being painful and then my inner thigh joined the party which made it painful getting in and out of the car. Just for info, the pain I suffered was brought about by stretching my arms which resulted in a vicious stabbing pain that lasted for about 20-30 secs before subsiding.
Amazingly enough I never even suspected that the statin could be the culprit, after all it is a wonder drug. My 5 times a week visits to the gym were becoming a bit of a joke and eventually there were only 2 exercises left that I could do on the circuit without going through the roof. At this stage I figured that a visit to the GP was on the cards but at the same time I came across this thread. After carefully assessing all the facts I felt that it was worth my while to stop the statins for a period and start using Cholestrolease. At the start I did a cholesterol test at a Clicks clinic and followed it up with another from the local pathologists. Both readings were similar at 5.4. Since starting the Cholesterolease I have been using 3 sachets daily. About 2 weeks after stopping the statin the muscular pain started easing very gradually and after 2 months I have full use of my right arm at the gym but still partial use of my left arm. Nevertheless a gradual improvement is noticable but this delay is not surprising since the pain in the left arm started nearly a year before the other so I guess the muscle damage was more extensive. In my case the onset of pain was over a long period, an insidious subtle attack.
Today I did a cholesterol check at Clicks Clinic just to see what trend the readings were taking and they came up with 4.9. So all in all I would say that at this time this appears to be the way to go. Carrying on with 3 sachets of Cholesterolease and will do another check in 2 months time.
Thanks for all your info Rainier.
PO
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: H2Oklf
Has liked: 3 times

Unread post by PO » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:25 am

rainier
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by rainier » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:34 am

PO wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:25 am
Time for an update:
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/ ... 3?mode=amp
Yes - that is the crux of it. As I mentioned many times - cholesterol (in all its many forms and variations) is NOT the CAUSE of heart disease. That is abundantly clear from all the research we have. However - it plays a major role. That role is quite complex. Understand this role and what leads to it - the rest is easy.

Since I am writing this, you can safely deduct that I am still alive. I am now at almost three years since I started my alternative treatment after refusing a second bypass operation. I have fully recovered and one of my favorite pastimes is to do a 20Km or so mountain bike trail in the Stellenbosch mountains once a week.

I have written a paper on the whole thing complete with a few ECG recordings to show results. It is fairly detailed but not a difficult read.

You can download a copy at this link: www.MGLAvionics.co.za/UHT.pdf

As an aside: I had to go into surgery for a minor issue (not heart related) about a year ago. The Anesthetist came around to do the normal pre-op checks, noted my excellent heart and proclaimed I must be a runner and if there was anything he should know. So I told him. He verified that I indeed had the "zipper" scar on my chest, did an ECG and ran off to my Cardiologist who happens to have offices in the same building. My Cardiologist then gave him the paper you can download above. He got really excited about this and when I went back for a checkup four weeks later I was told that he started annoying any doctor in the hospital he could talk to for two weeks after the event. I had to laugh - it was actually quite funny.

Rainier
PO
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: H2Oklf
Has liked: 3 times

Unread post by PO » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:29 am

Thanks Rainier, taking a look :)

Return to “Aviation medical and related issues”