Cholesterol - Risk myth?

Medicine and other human performance related issues.

Moderator: Moderators

rainier
1k poster
1k poster
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 163 times

Re: Cholesterol - Risk myth?

Unread post by rainier » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:41 pm

Yes and amen to that brother !

Indeed it is a chronic inflammatory condition - any cardio thoracic surgeon will tell you that, it's blindingly obvious.

Sadly, just a few lifestyle changes may not be enough to fix the problem - you may be affected by genetics. Most of us Europeans are, in particular if your ancestors hark from the northern parts of Europe.
Genetics does not cause arteriosclerosis - it merely sets the stage for it to take its course.
We can't fix that but we can intervene quite successfully. But it requires thinking outside the box (outside the doctor's office ?). There is no "one pill" magic trick here.

It's exactly like fixing a rough running engine - drill down to the actual seed of the problem and stop the progression by understanding what is going on and what can aid the prevention of what is a slow progression involving multiple contributing factors - and yes, lifestyle (including diet) is one of them, but certainly this is not all there is to it.

It turns out we know the exact start and the cause of it and we know that in detail for at least two decades thanks to pioneering but heavily criticized work of double Nobel price laureate Linus Pauling and Dr.Matthias Rath. Their work helped set things in motion and I credit the fact that I am around to type this here right now to them and many others which expanded on the research in recent years.

Rainier
Who said the sky is the limit ? I think not.
HansH2
Post Take off checks
Closest Airfield: Margate
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Unread post by HansH2 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:52 pm

A few years ago my cholesterol was found to be slightly elevated during a blood test and my GP put me onto Simvastatin 20." A wonder drug that will solve all my problems and increase my lifespan by many years". After a few months I started feeling a slight discomfort around my shoulder and neck muscles which kept on getting worse until I saw the GP who then remarked that I was one of the rare cases who has encountered this problem and changed the dosage from 20 to 10 mgs. This solved the problem. However, after well over a year I started feeling slight pains in my wrists which I assumed was the onset of arthritis and over the next year niggles in my left upper arm started which I blamed on an old sport injury and then gradually my right upper arm also started being painful and then my inner thigh joined the party which made it painful getting in and out of the car. Just for info, the pain I suffered was brought about by stretching my arms which resulted in a vicious stabbing pain that lasted for about 20-30 secs before subsiding.
Amazingly enough I never even suspected that the statin could be the culprit, after all it is a wonder drug. My 5 times a week visits to the gym were becoming a bit of a joke and eventually there were only 2 exercises left that I could do on the circuit without going through the roof. At this stage I figured that a visit to the GP was on the cards but at the same time I came across this thread. After carefully assessing all the facts I felt that it was worth my while to stop the statins for a period and start using Cholestrolease. At the start I did a cholesterol test at a Clicks clinic and followed it up with another from the local pathologists. Both readings were similar at 5.4. Since starting the Cholesterolease I have been using 3 sachets daily. About 2 weeks after stopping the statin the muscular pain started easing very gradually and after 2 months I have full use of my right arm at the gym but still partial use of my left arm. Nevertheless a gradual improvement is noticable but this delay is not surprising since the pain in the left arm started nearly a year before the other so I guess the muscle damage was more extensive. In my case the onset of pain was over a long period, an insidious subtle attack.
Today I did a cholesterol check at Clicks Clinic just to see what trend the readings were taking and they came up with 4.9. So all in all I would say that at this time this appears to be the way to go. Carrying on with 3 sachets of Cholesterolease and will do another check in 2 months time.
Thanks for all your info Rainier.
rainier
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by rainier » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:20 pm

Thanks for the post, yes I have been getting quite a number of responses like this.
One thing I must mention: Do NOT rely on the cholesterol screening test using the strips. This does not give meaningful results if your blood serum contains high levels of ascorbic acid. As you are taking this regularly you will now be about at tissue saturation level which means a constant feed of ascorbic acid back from your tissues into your serum between doses (and between the spikes).
The information leaflet that comes with the cholesterol strips specifically points this out.

I have one of those machines I bought several years ago and found it is still showing relatively high levels - however go and do a proper blood test with a lab and the result is MUCH less.

People suffering from statin side effects are certainly not "rare cases". Current statistics show at least 1/3 of users show side effects, many are mild, some are serious. It gets worse the longer you take the stuff. Yes, my own GP which I do hold in high respect did not pick up on this and started treating me with cortisone injections after I started complaining about joint and muscle pains. The injections did nothing to help. I only clicked after trying to find a possible cause using "Dr. Google". Stopped the stuff and things improved fairly quickly. A few years later the docs convinced me to try a new statin: Crestor. This was indeed much better but after 12 months or so the familiar pains returned - and quickly got very bad. I stopped again. This time it took me more than a year to recover. Then I got convinced by the doc to try a fibrate. After all that is not a statin and works differently. It really worked well - cholesterol way down, in particular triglycerides. Three months later I could no longer put any weight on my knees, hands, elbows, shoulders, feet and in particular my lower back where in crises. I stopped. A month later the saga that is well documented here on this forum started with my Cardiologist recommending me for an urgent triple bypass after I failed my flight medical. I declined (I had a quad bypass more than a decade ago and don't want another). Dr Google to the rescue. I just wish I would have known all this 15 years ago. I could have saved myself a whole lot of trouble...

Good luck - keep us updated, positive or negative - does not matter. The more we learn the better.

Rainier
HansH2 wrote:A few years ago my cholesterol was found to be slightly elevated during a blood test and my GP put me onto Simvastatin 20." A wonder drug that will solve all my problems and increase my lifespan by many years". After a few months I started feeling a slight discomfort around my shoulder and neck muscles which kept on getting worse until I saw the GP who then remarked that I was one of the rare cases who has encountered this problem and changed the dosage from 20 to 10 mgs. This solved the problem. However, after well over a year I started feeling slight pains in my wrists which I assumed was the onset of arthritis and over the next year niggles in my left upper arm started which I blamed on an old sport injury and then gradually my right upper arm also started being painful and then my inner thigh joined the party which made it painful getting in and out of the car. Just for info, the pain I suffered was brought about by stretching my arms which resulted in a vicious stabbing pain that lasted for about 20-30 secs before subsiding.
Amazingly enough I never even suspected that the statin could be the culprit, after all it is a wonder drug. My 5 times a week visits to the gym were becoming a bit of a joke and eventually there were only 2 exercises left that I could do on the circuit without going through the roof. At this stage I figured that a visit to the GP was on the cards but at the same time I came across this thread. After carefully assessing all the facts I felt that it was worth my while to stop the statins for a period and start using Cholestrolease. At the start I did a cholesterol test at a Clicks clinic and followed it up with another from the local pathologists. Both readings were similar at 5.4. Since starting the Cholesterolease I have been using 3 sachets daily. About 2 weeks after stopping the statin the muscular pain started easing very gradually and after 2 months I have full use of my right arm at the gym but still partial use of my left arm. Nevertheless a gradual improvement is noticable but this delay is not surprising since the pain in the left arm started nearly a year before the other so I guess the muscle damage was more extensive. In my case the onset of pain was over a long period, an insidious subtle attack.
Today I did a cholesterol check at Clicks Clinic just to see what trend the readings were taking and they came up with 4.9. So all in all I would say that at this time this appears to be the way to go. Carrying on with 3 sachets of Cholesterolease and will do another check in 2 months time.
Thanks for all your info Rainier.
PO
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: H2Oklf
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 12 times

Unread post by PO » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:25 am

rainier
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by rainier » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:34 am

PO wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:25 am
Time for an update:
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/ ... 3?mode=amp
Yes - that is the crux of it. As I mentioned many times - cholesterol (in all its many forms and variations) is NOT the CAUSE of heart disease. That is abundantly clear from all the research we have. However - it plays a major role. That role is quite complex. Understand this role and what leads to it - the rest is easy.

Since I am writing this, you can safely deduct that I am still alive. I am now at almost three years since I started my alternative treatment after refusing a second bypass operation. I have fully recovered and one of my favorite pastimes is to do a 20Km or so mountain bike trail in the Stellenbosch mountains once a week.

I have written a paper on the whole thing complete with a few ECG recordings to show results. It is fairly detailed but not a difficult read.

You can download a copy at this link: www.MGLAvionics.co.za/UHT.pdf

As an aside: I had to go into surgery for a minor issue (not heart related) about a year ago. The Anesthetist came around to do the normal pre-op checks, noted my excellent heart and proclaimed I must be a runner and if there was anything he should know. So I told him. He verified that I indeed had the "zipper" scar on my chest, did an ECG and ran off to my Cardiologist who happens to have offices in the same building. My Cardiologist then gave him the paper you can download above. He got really excited about this and when I went back for a checkup four weeks later I was told that he started annoying any doctor in the hospital he could talk to for two weeks after the event. I had to laugh - it was actually quite funny.

Rainier
PO
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: H2Oklf
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 12 times

Unread post by PO » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:29 am

Thanks Rainier, taking a look :)
rainier
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by rainier » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:50 am

A perhaps long overdue update.
I am now on my "alternative" protocol for almost 4 years. Things have been going rather well and my heart troubles are now a faint memory.
My statin induced joint and muscle issues took a long time to sort themselves out, my back taking the longest to recover and pretty much not responding well to treatments. Somehow I noticed an improvement that lasts a week or so every time I took a longer cycle but was never able to figure out exactly why.
Anyways, in February this year I decided it had improved sufficiently for me to try and give running a try again. I had not run for almost 18 years. I started very slow, just one Km. It went OK and I slowly increased the distance, eventually running several times a week in my rather hilly surroundings.
Long story cut short: On Saturday I finished my first half-marathon (Winelands Half-marathon in Stellenbosch) managing a respectable 2:16.00 official time (which I am over the moon with - much better than I thought I would do). Actual time (self-timed) was 2:13.56 - it took two minutes just to shuffle past the start line. Over 3000 runners in a narrow street. It was a great experience and I will be back for more. I am now 59 years of age.

Rainier
Firedog
Pre-take off checks
Closest Airfield: FAVG
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by Firedog » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:11 am

Rainer - what cholesterol reducing medicine are you using now?
Barney

ZU-FDG Jabiru J430
rainier
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by rainier » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:22 am

Firedog wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:11 am
Rainer - what cholesterol reducing medicine are you using now?
I wrote a short paper on the whole thing. It's at www.mglavionics.co.za/UHT.pdf

Don't worry about your cholesterol levels. That is secondary. You need to fix the cause.
Cherokee6
Take off Clearance
Closest Airfield: FALA
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 23 times

Unread post by Cherokee6 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:40 pm

I battled severe high cholesterol for years, from my 20s until my 50s. My problem it turned out was diet not genetic. Yes I am genetically predisposed to high cholesterol but that genetic disposition only came out under the right (or should I say wrong) circumstances - namely a diet that was killing me.

Anyway, the good news is that I’m now swimming 5km at a time, three days a week and jogging every other day without pain (I also suffered severe gout), without any drugs at all. I feel better than I felt in my 20s, just by changing my diet.

The first 12 minutes or so of this video is what changed my life.

JoziFlyer
ATC Delay
Closest Airfield: FAOR
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 17 times

Unread post by JoziFlyer » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:07 pm

Cherokee6 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:40 pm
I battled severe high cholesterol for years, from my 20s until my 50s. My problem it turned out was diet not genetic. Yes I am genetically predisposed to high cholesterol but that genetic disposition only came out under the right (or should I say wrong) circumstances - namely a diet that was killing me.

Anyway, the good news is that I’m now swimming 5km at a time, three days a week and jogging every other day without pain (I also suffered severe gout), without any drugs at all. I feel better than I felt in my 20s, just by changing my diet.

The first 12 minutes or so of this video is what changed my life.

This is the third time someone has shown me this video in the last month or so. Seems to be gaining traction and I can’t fault it. Challenge is to find healthy food on the go as I’m always traveling. :|
Mouser
Steep Turn Right
Closest Airfield: King Shaka
Has liked: 370 times
Been liked: 28 times

Unread post by Mouser » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:04 am

Thanks guys, Rainier in particular, I read your paper with great interest; watching Cherokee6's video is next. I have high cholesterol (S chol 7.4; S-LDL 5.8; S-HDL 0.9; S-NON HDL 6.5 & S/HDL 8.2) but not heart disease related symptoms (yet). I have done the statins of which the older ones had unpleasant side affects (vision and er, other problems) but was never told, except by a colleague. So I stopped. Restarted a few years ago but now, no real side affects from Lipitor (much improved doc said) but at 10mg did nothing so dosage was going up to 20mg of Rosvator. Doc was always rushed and a little aloof, never shared the actual results and somewhat sceptical of other options; diet etc. I am, and was always, quite active - swim, mountain bike and offroad bike on weekends, gym a few times a week. Both my parents died at 60 due to heart related factors but compounded by over-exertion.

Not to my liking so I tried RyChol, an OTC "cholesterol lowering etc medication" but I ended up with a "nutritional counsellor", very sweet and easier on the eye than the doc who did a new lot of tests (results as above) and "prescribed" a daily dose of 1000mg Vit C, 3No. Omega 3 (potency unknown) capsules and 2No. Cholestozone (a "natural" cholesterol lowering medication) capsules and a few other things; Collagen etc. Plus cut down radically on dairy products, bread (rye only), processed food; alcohol and coffee (Eeeek) then add oils, flaxseed, olive and coconut and a few other things. Some cutting of red meat (to twice a week) for vegetable options and so on; chicken out of favour (once a week). For about 3 months.

I finished this and went for cholesterol tests this week; results on Monday. So we shall see!
rainier
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by rainier » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:07 am

Basically the standard and accepted way of things is you go to the doc, then do a blood test, if cholesterol is out of bounds (and sometimes even if not) you get prescribed statins. End of story. About 1/3 of statin users will develop side effects starting around year one (precisely the time line every single statin drug trail ends or is canceled). Typical side effects are joint and muscle pains - starting very very gradually and slowly getting worse. When this happened to me first I was on 20mg of Lipitor and had no clue this was due to statins - I put it down to not enough exercise, even aging (supposed to happen if you age right ?). At the time that was about a year after my bypass.
Soon the problems got a bit out of hand and I went to see the doc. He should have known it was the statins but what followed was a bit of a mess involving cortisone injections which did absolutely nothing positive. Eventually I consulted the evil Dr. Google and it did not take long to find people with similar problems and references to statins being the issue (this was quite a while ago and it was not yet as prevalent knowledge as today).
I decided to stop the statins and it did not take more than 3-4 weeks and the issues were effectively gone.
Couple months later I needed my first stent.
Over the next 10 years or so several cycles followed with more stents and periods with and without statins of various makes (Crestor was the last - promised at the time to be free of side effects by my doc - yeah right - it was the worst of them).
My last period using cholesterol lowering drugs I used Fibroids. This easily resulted in my best test results ever (if I exclude my alternative protocol here). I am a bit of a scientist so I like to read the drug trail documentation and results for whatever I take - the concerning thing here is that while Fibroids do a better job than statins in modifying your lipid profile, the results sadly show that this has absolutely no effect on any cardiac outcome. Statins do show some positive results (very small, almost statistically insignificant). Anyway I took it for a while after ending up with a heart attack. But soon the familiar side effects returned. They became unbearable and I had to stop. The problem with all this starting and stopping these drugs - each time I stopped it took my body longer and longer to repair the damage.
It did not take long and I failed my flight medical and was recommended for another triple bypass (which most likely I would not have survived - the docs where at least honest about that). I elected not to proceed and started digging into medical research as outlined in my paper. The rest is history.

The bottom line: Do not fiddle with cholesterol using drugs unless there is a really good reason. Try and find the actual cause (there are several possibilities and they can combine). If you find the cause you can fix it and your levels will revert to normal soon enough. In my case the cause is genetics so the whole progression of the coronary heart disease from start to finish is well known and extensively researched and documented. What is sadly not done to the extent it deserves is what to do about it. One you understand the problem the solution is actually pretty obvious and known since about the mid 90's - the only thing left at the time was to give it a try and stick to it. I'm still here, I got my flight medical back and I am running marathons (signed up for Two Oceans half marathon two days ago). I have put my little paper out there - perhaps it can help somebody else in the same way.
rainier
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by rainier » Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:14 pm

Time for another update. As I am on the "quackery miracle cure" for just over 4.5 years now. Positive feedback loop. you get better - it allows you to do more - you get even better. Completed 10 endurance runs of half-marathon distance or longer in 10 weeks. Longest 27Km. Aiming for a full marathon for my 60th birthday in a couple of months. It's hard - but I have a goal...

Return to “Aviation medical and related issues”