Antidepressants

Medicine and other human performance related issues.

Moderator: Moderators

John.com
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: Aeroden
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 17 times

Re: Antidepressants

Unread post by John.com » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:41 pm

Lear1 wrote:Moral of the story... Don't tell your Dr anything... If you are on any medication, rather go to you regular GP and get your
script.

CAA and most of the DRS on the board are geriatrics. The days of anti-depressants having major side effects are gone. There is a new anti-depressant being launched this year and it has zero side effects (fact).

Look at the recent Embraer 190 accident. Would you rather have medicated pilot or a no-medicated one? Being depressed is seen as a crime for some reason.

Well hope my post makes sense. I'm off to Luanda now, just popped my concerta.
Please God may no-one take your advice seriously! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Depending on the person, the medication and the dose, anti-depressants can have a devastating effect on people, not least of all pilots!

I am trying to work through a situation right now with a close friend who has been on SSRIs and who is showing behaviour that will frighten the bejesus out of you! Jekyll and Hyde has NOTHING on this!

I am in no way qualified to comment further, suffice to say that anyone on antidepressants HAS TO DISCLOSE what they are taking to their aviation doctor, even if you are not due for your medical!
John Comley
slysi
Hee Hee I'm Flying
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Unread post by slysi » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:51 pm

John.com wrote: Please God may no-one take your advice seriously! :shock: :shock: :shock: Depending on the person, the medication and the dose, anti-depressants can have a devastating effect on people, not least of all pilots! I am trying to work through a situation right now with a close friend who has been on SSRIs and who is showing behaviour that will frighten the bejesus out of you! Jekyll and Hyde has NOTHING on this! I am in no way qualified to comment further, suffice to say that anyone on antidepressants HAS TO DISCLOSE what they are taking to their aviation doctor, even if you are not due for your medical!
People that are correctly medicated should not show any side effects so I recommend that your friend get a second opinion. I agree however that any change in medication should be disclosed immediately. I hope all works out for your friend.

I am slowly coming off them and have never felt better :)
slysi
Hee Hee I'm Flying

Unread post by slysi » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:53 pm

Drewdel wrote: Slysi your positive attitude and honesty about your experience says a lot. The attitude you show towards safe flying is what makes the difference! All the best. Hope you build lots of hours.
Thanks Drewdel, I appreciate your comment. Safety is paramount in the wonderful world of aviation and I firmly believe that safety starts with ones self ;)
slysi
Hee Hee I'm Flying

Unread post by slysi » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:59 pm

heisan wrote: What you say is true, but I think you are missing erasmus' point. You only require a medical when you go solo. But most flight schools insist (or at least highly recommend) that you do your medical before you even begin training - just to make sure that you know upfront what, if any limitations you will have. In fact, my flight school recommended a class 1 medical before you even start (even if you only ever intend to do PPL) - just so that you know in advance what your options will be. Makes good sense, when you look at how much cash will be invested in your training.
I am not missing the point, I get it in terms of not investing before you train, it is certainly an expensive past time. I do not, however, regret spending the money as I am thoroughly enjoying being in the air, even if it is with an instructor.

If it were not for my recent experience I may not have tried to come off the meds (in consultation with my psychiatrist of course). I will get my medical within the next few months, if every thing goes well with the process, and will probably go solo as soon as that happens. In the meantime I will continue to fly and learn which will make me a better pilot :)
Horace Blok
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAMO
Has liked: 132 times
Been liked: 36 times

Unread post by Horace Blok » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:06 pm

Interesting ruling by the FAA in 2010.

read this about MH370
Hartog
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
⏺ Respect for ourselves guides our morals; respect for others guides our manners.

▶️ Life isn't a dress rehearsal.

➡️ Try to learn from the mistakes of others - you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.
slysi
Hee Hee I'm Flying

Unread post by slysi » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:05 am

Horace Blok wrote:Interesting ruling by the FAA in 2010. read this about MH370
The article is a bit misleading. The use of specific SSRI antidepressants is permitted subject to some conditions. Other antidepressants, such as SNRIs are not permitted.

I discussed this with the CAA as their protocol is virtually identical to that of the FAA.

There is still, and will be for the foreseeable future, a general ban on antidepressants. Whilst I understand the risks, a correctly treated person can lead a normal life.

The biggest risk in my opinion is that of untreated persons that suffer from a mood disorder.
Horace Blok
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand

Unread post by Horace Blok » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:35 am

Thanks SLYSI - what I know about the subject I can write on the back of a postage stamp and still leave place for the Bible. I merely posted this as "hope" to those that are looking for some reprieve.
Hartog
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
⏺ Respect for ourselves guides our morals; respect for others guides our manners.

➡️ Try to learn from the mistakes of others - you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.
slysi
Hee Hee I'm Flying

Unread post by slysi » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:45 pm

Horace Blok wrote:Thanks SLYSI - what I know about the subject I can write on the back of a postage stamp and still leave place for the Bible. I merely posted this as "hope" to those that are looking for some reprieve.
Thanks Horace, absolutely agree :)
Jim Evans
Wanna Fly
Closest Airfield: raf

Unread post by Jim Evans » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:37 am

The above discussion is actually very disturbing. I suggest all the people here to get the medical tests done before opting to fly or to travel anywhere. Being ill and flying is a very risky combination but if you want to travel to get yourself treated, opt for medical tourism companies. Stay happy and healthy. :)
Whirly
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: Ermelo
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 792 times

Unread post by Whirly » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:04 am

Jim Evans wrote:The above discussion is actually very disturbing. I suggest all the people here to get the medical tests done before opting to fly or to travel anywhere. Being ill and flying is a very risky combination but if you want to travel to get yourself treated, opt for medical tourism companies. Stay happy and healthy. :)
Gosh you American are geniuses!! :roll:

Whirly.
Not every home needs a dog but every dog needs a home.
slysi
Hee Hee I'm Flying

Unread post by slysi » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:41 am

Jim Evans wrote:The above discussion is actually very disturbing. I suggest all the people here to get the medical tests done before opting to fly or to travel anywhere. Being ill and flying is a very risky combination but if you want to travel to get yourself treated, opt for medical tourism companies. Stay happy and healthy. :)
WTF are you talking about ???
Horace Blok
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand

Unread post by Horace Blok » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:44 am

TROLL. I thought the mods would have nuked that one by now. It's a pretty ancient post.
Hartog
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Flymed
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: Greater Gauteng

Unread post by Flymed » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:25 am

Horace Blok wrote:TROLL. I thought the mods would have nuked that one by now. It's a pretty ancient post.
But is it not funny in the stupidity of it! As hy sy naam wil gat maak laat hom dit dan doen. :D
Horace Blok
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand

Unread post by Horace Blok » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:47 am

Ek is oortuig die ou bestaan glad nie. 'n Troll. 'n K@kmaker!
Hartog
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Flymed
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: Greater Gauteng

Unread post by Flymed » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:23 pm

Horace Blok wrote:Ek is oortuig die ou bestaan glad nie. 'n Troll. 'n K@kmaker!
Yip!!

Return to “Aviation medical and related issues”