Back problems

Medicine and other human performance related issues.

Moderator: Moderators

rouge
Take off Clearance
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Back problems

Unread post by rouge » Thu May 25, 2017 9:57 am

I had a L5/S1 herniated disc beginning 2010 - it was hell for the best part of 3 months.

After the worst subsided I went to see an orthopaedic surgeon that put me on a programme called Document Based Care. The basis of this treatment is that you end up with a physiotherapist and a biokinethesist that treats you in a about a 1 -1.5 hour session twice a week for 12 weeks. The injury causes your large back muscles to contract forming spasms which also result in the smaller muscles supporting your spine to become lazy. The physio treats the spasms in the first part of each session while the bio puts you on exercise equipment in the second part activating the core muscles while you also get a home exercise programme. In my case, the spasms were only gone after 8 weeks.

I then did Pilates for a about 18 months - it is immensely good to activate and strengthen your core, back and stomach muscles as well as hip flexors. In addition I also started stretching exercises.

I am now on a bodyweight exercise regime all which keeps my core strong followed up by stretching. I avoid picking up heavy objects. Eight years later I have no back pain, no stiffness in my back at all. I would recommend this to anyone struggling with lower back problems
lodge
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: fabb

Unread post by lodge » Wed May 31, 2017 3:42 pm

I had similar problems myself,
I find some regular swimming helps me.
cage
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 185 times

Unread post by cage » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:22 pm

I have been amazed by the number of people that suffer either moderate or fairly extreme back pain.
Today I got my medical back and spent a wonderful couple of hours training.
Forgot how privileged we are to do what we do.
It's been a hell of a journey.
lodge
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by lodge » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:52 pm

congrats cage,i know the exact same feeling.
Fransw
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: Pretoria
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 50 times

Unread post by Fransw » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:12 pm

cage wrote:As an update.
Life is pretty much back to normal.
I started Pilates a few weeks ago and that has really helped (It's harder than it looks and you do feel a bit of a twat doing it 8-[ )
Medical is back in a week and a bit and have my currency and validation tests lined up, things are looking up :D
Hahaha!.Pilate's is no joke and can be veryhard! There are also different levels up to VEry tough.. Best for core strength .

Also agree with @lodge here about swimming, the best all round exercise.. Pilates + Swimming = No back problems.
roadrunner
Take off Clearance
Closest Airfield: aviatorsparadise
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by roadrunner » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:06 pm

I played provincial rugby and was ntvl high hurdler .I was very active went for surgery but kept on being very active running etc was fine initially but it agrevated the upper lumbar degeneration.My 2 cents dont run get a bike or run on treadmill its not as hard.
cage
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 185 times

Unread post by cage » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:14 pm

roadrunner wrote:I played provincial rugby and was ntvl high hurdler .I was very active went for surgery but kept on being very active running etc was fine initially but it agrevated the upper lumbar degeneration.My 2 cents dont run get a bike or run on treadmill its not as hard.
Running was a problem for a while with the jarring. Definitely stick to cycling.
Also dumped the low to the ground car for an SUV.
Fortunately the aircraft has air suspension :mrgreen:
Fransw
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by Fransw » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:54 pm

Also a good exercise for the back is brisk walking. Remember to work from the core.. Carefull for cycling, it can do more damage if not set up right. I don't think itsca good idea to cycle after a back op, but speak to you Dr..
excolonial
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: komani
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 9 times

Unread post by excolonial » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:00 pm

Good stuff Cage, glad you are on the mend and back in the air. I suspect my knees will be the first candidates for surgery. Agreed on the bicycle, you have to really concentrate on your posture on those nut crushers, otherwise you are doing more harm than good. On a lighter note, the renewed flying explains the lack of posting. ....

I expect to be flying plenty soon, most probably in an egg beater.
The older I get, the more I am convinced that "A Confederacy of Dunces" is non fiction.
Mauler
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: Vans
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by Mauler » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:07 pm

Back and neck pain is mostly because of disc degeneration and/or herniation because of posture problems - which are sometimes remarkably easy to solve.

I had a sore, stiff neck and numbness in the shoulder, arm and down to the fingers for years. Physiotherapy helped quite a lot, but it would recur.

The problem was solved quite simply when one day I decided to sleep on only one pillow instead of two. Instead of there being pressure on the cervical discs as I slept, my head would hang down a bit from my shoulders putting a little tension on my neck instead. It seems like after a good night's rest the C6-C7 disc would get more circulation and plump up again.

I haven't had a problem since unless I've been sitting for an extended period of time.

Sitting is a very unnatural position which places about 40% more pressure on most of your vertebrae than when standing.

Probably best to install a jungle gym or just hang upside down from a tree branch for a couple hours a day, but that could cause trouble with the auto screen rotation on my Android devices.....
excolonial
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: komani
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 9 times

Unread post by excolonial » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:52 am

Mauler wrote:Back and neck pain is mostly because of disc degeneration and/or herniation because of posture problems - which are sometimes remarkably easy to solve.

Sitting is a very unnatural position which places about 40% more pressure on most of your vertebrae than when standing.

Probably best to install a jungle gym or just hang upside down from a tree branch for a couple hours a day, but that could cause trouble with the auto screen rotation on my Android devices.....
Agreed Mauler, I bought one of those upside down hanging table things to help stretch out my back. I found it hurt my ankles/feet so much due to poor design I sent it back.
The older I get, the more I am convinced that "A Confederacy of Dunces" is non fiction.
Fransw
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by Fransw » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:30 pm

Best sleeping positions for lower back pain:
images-5.jpeg
0.jpg
images-1.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lodge
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by lodge » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:10 pm

yes I found sleeping with one piloow,or no pillows helped me a lot,and I still got a lot of pain relief from swimming
lodge
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by lodge » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:16 pm

How is yor back now cage ?
lodge
1k poster
1k poster