New Medical

Medicine and other human performance related issues.

Moderator: Moderators

JanLou
Wanna Fly
Closest Airfield: FAKR
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

New Medical

Unread post by JanLou » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:15 pm

Just tried to renew my PPL with shiny new medical certificate system. They refuse to take it even though compulsory from 30 Sept. Want the old one. Give up!!!
ACE MAN
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAKT+VHHH+FAPX
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 2 times

Re: New Medical

Unread post by ACE MAN » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:21 pm

JanLou wrote:Just tried to renew my PPL with shiny new medical certificate system. They refuse to take it even though compulsory from 30 Sept. Want the old one. Give up!!!
The new one requires a watermarked letterhead, which the CAA do not have yet and have not yet distributed to the AMEs, SO you get the 'new' form to keep in your licence but must in the interim also keep the 'old' type one and submit the yellow copy. Also the expiry date in their new system is incorrect as I believe it should still be valid to the expiry month end and does not reflect as such.
IITYWTMWYBMAD
Nomakhanjani
¯¯VAF¯¯
happyskipper
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FQNC

Unread post by happyskipper » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:12 pm

I just came across this thread, and have no idea what it's about - can anyone explain what the story is, in words of one syllable or less?
My last medical was done in December last year, and I need to renew before Dec 2017...... during the one week's leave I will be getting from Mozambique....
Mark 8)
AKA "happyslipper", "slappykipper" ... etc.. :lol:
Whirly
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: Ermelo
Been liked: 13 times

Unread post by Whirly » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:21 pm

happyskipper wrote:I just came across this thread, and have no idea what it's about - can anyone explain what the story is, in words of one syllable or less?
My last medical was done in December last year, and I need to renew before Dec 2017...... during the one week's leave I will be getting from Mozambique....
The AMEs all have to do your medical on the new online system of CAA. It is compulsory as from the 1st of October but as usual they don't have their ducks in a row. Fortunately I did mine at the beginning of September, my AME tried a few times unsuccessfully to do it online but it would not work, so he issued it the "the old" way and it was accepted.

There are some flaws in the system. I did not have to do the lung capacity test this year but the online checklist insisted on it without the option to disregard it. There are some changes to the eye test and hearing tests as well (really daft! :roll: ).

When mine is due again next year all these initial pains should be sorted or we most probably be back to the old system! :roll:

Whirly.
Every dog needs a home and every home needs a dog (or two or three).
ACE MAN
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand

Unread post by ACE MAN » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:05 pm

Mine seems to have gone through electronically ok , just the required certificate with watermark is not yet available, so i carry the old style one as well. Some good news - no stress ecg!
IITYWTMWYBMAD
Nomakhanjani
¯¯VAF¯¯
happyskipper
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FQNC

Unread post by happyskipper » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:40 pm

Whirly wrote:
happyskipper wrote:I just came across this thread, and have no idea what it's about - can anyone explain what the story is, in words of one syllable or less?
The AMEs all have to do your medical on the new online system of CAA. It is compulsory as from the 1st of October but as usual they don't have their ducks in a row. Fortunately I did mine at the beginning of September, my AME tried a few times unsuccessfully to do it online but it would not work, so he issued it the "the old" way and it was accepted.

There are some flaws in the system. I did not have to do the lung capacity test this year but the online checklist insisted on it without the option to disregard it. There are some changes to the eye test and hearing tests as well (really daft! :roll: ).

When mine is due again next year all these initial pains should be sorted or we most probably be back to the old system! :roll:

Whirly.
Thanks Whirly :smt120
Mark 8)
AKA "happyslipper", "slappykipper" ... etc.. :lol:
E.S.
Steep Turn Right
Closest Airfield: FIMP

Unread post by E.S. » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:40 pm

As told to me today at CAA, they do not accept the new medical certificate, as the system has not yet been approved!
And this system has been made mandatory since 01 Oct...
They only accept the yellow copy and "you can do whatever you want" with the medical certificate that gets printed out from Epmid after completion of the medical.
The CAA doesn't know their elbow from their a....hole.
Aviate, Navigate, Communicate !!!
Rotor kop
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Closest Airfield: OR Thambo
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Rotor kop » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:31 pm

I did mine online and had no problems but also only have the old yellow and white paper
To fly is Heavenly, but to HOVER is Divine
I'm not driving fast - i'm flying low
Whirly
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: Ermelo
Been liked: 13 times

Unread post by Whirly » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:14 am

Rotor kop wrote:I did mine online and had no problems but also only have the old yellow and white paper
The yellow one should be handed in at CAA.

Whirly.
Every dog needs a home and every home needs a dog (or two or three).
Rotor kop
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Closest Airfield: OR Thambo
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Rotor kop » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:04 am

Whirly wrote:
Rotor kop wrote:I did mine online and had no problems but also only have the old yellow and white paper
The yellow one should be handed in at CAA.

Whirly.
Yip did that.
To fly is Heavenly, but to HOVER is Divine
I'm not driving fast - i'm flying low
ACE MAN
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand

Unread post by ACE MAN » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:22 am

Just to back up what Adriaan said, the yellow copy must be handed in. Not even 4 days after it was supposed to be all sorted we are back in the dark ages.
IITYWTMWYBMAD
Nomakhanjani
¯¯VAF¯¯
Sunray
Aircraft in Hangar
Closest Airfield: Maun

Unread post by Sunray » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:38 pm

Can someone clarify the new system of submitting medicals please. I just had a medical for a SA Class 4 done by a SA registered AME and submitted the documents by email. I got a call saying the system has changed and the AME has to do it on line. Is that system working yet, or can I rely on the old white original/yellow copy until they get it sorted out? The last post about this was in October but I assume nothing has changed yet. Also somebody has told me that Class 4 medicals are only valid for 1 year now, not 3 if you are over 50?
The medical was done in Botswana.
Richard S

Return to “Aviation medical and related issues”