Avmed appeal

Medicine and other human performance related issues.

Moderator: Moderators

SuperStallion
Take off Clearance
Closest Airfield: Tempe
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Avmed appeal

Unread post by SuperStallion » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:05 pm

I sustained a head injury last year with subdural hemorrhage and swelling on the brain. This was in august and a month later when the medical recovery process started i was instructed by Avmed to do various tests among which EEG, MRI, X ray's, Neuropsychology assesment, mental-psychology assessment, neurologist psychometric tests, neurosurgeon report, and DAME medical assessment in order for them to determine whether i am completely fit and healed, and if my medical can be reinstated, after literally 10'ns of thousands out of my own pocket for the tests, they came back after the sitting with a 'medically unfit for 2 years due to history of head injury' report. All the results from tests and doctors were very positive with no sign of a head injury or previous head injury at all, i had no loss of consciousness. However, it does not appear that this was even considered and it looks like a decision was made merely on "the book says 2 years for a head injury" .
I am now in the process of appeal as 2 years will result in my losing ALL my ratings and having to redo every course in order to get my ratings again IF the company decides not to let me go.

Now my question, is there any-one who has had a similar situation in the past , with an appeal where the appeal made a difference to the outcome where your income is on the line.? i have both a class 2 and class 3 medical licence which are both suspended. The class 2 i can deal with, class 3 is where my issue lies.

Any feedback or tips on how to best get the time reduced will be appreciated.
Missionaryflyer
Tripped over wheel chock
Closest Airfield: Faor

Re: Avmed appeal

Unread post by Missionaryflyer » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:53 am

I had a colleague who went through the same experience.
Goffel
1k poster
1k poster
Been liked: 12 times

Unread post by Goffel » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:07 pm

Contact Dr Theuns Du Bruyn.

He is an aviation doctor in Jhb.
I think he advertises in the flying mags.
He will be able to guide you.
Horace Blok
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAMO
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by Horace Blok » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:29 am

Did this have a happy ending?
Hartog
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
⏺ Respect for ourselves guides our morals; respect for others guides our manners.

▶️ Life isn't a dress rehearsal.

➡️ Try to learn from the mistakes of others - you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.
SuperStallion
Take off Clearance
Closest Airfield: Tempe

Unread post by SuperStallion » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:31 pm

Horace Blok wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:29 am
HI Horace.

I am delighted to say my class 3 medical has been reinstated after a very lengthy process. Unfortunately it di require a huge amount of emails between myself and CAA medical board and senior medicals examinars. After 15 months of fighting, 3 MRI tests, 2 EEG tests, various neurologists and psychological reports and pshych exams i am back on frequency and solo again 19 months later. Unfortunately my Class 2 has not been reinstated and i will have to go through the whole process again coming August 2019-2 years after the accident.
Felix Gosher
Lining Up
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by Felix Gosher » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:30 pm

Never give up my friend 🙏🏻 Keep going, you will get back to the Sky.
Horace Blok
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAMO
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by Horace Blok » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:20 am

SuperStallion wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:31 pm
Horace Blok wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:29 am
HI Horace.

I am delighted to say my class 3 medical has been reinstated after a very lengthy process. Unfortunately it di require a huge amount of emails between myself and CAA medical board and senior medicals examinars. After 15 months of fighting, 3 MRI tests, 2 EEG tests, various neurologists and psychological reports and pshych exams i am back on frequency and solo again 19 months later. Unfortunately my Class 2 has not been reinstated and i will have to go through the whole process again coming August 2019-2 years after the accident.
I’m truly so pleased for you. Aanhouer wen!! 👏👏
Hartog
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
⏺ Respect for ourselves guides our morals; respect for others guides our manners.

▶️ Life isn't a dress rehearsal.

➡️ Try to learn from the mistakes of others - you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Return to “Aviation medical and related issues”