Does Class 1 lapse and automatically revert to Class 2?

Medicine and other human performance related issues.

Moderator: Moderators

Float_flyer
Engine full power confirmed
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 7 times

Does Class 1 lapse and automatically revert to Class 2?

Unread post by Float_flyer » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:46 pm

I have been advised that a Class 1 which expires automatically becomes a class 2 and is valid for 5 years

Is this correct?

I’m over 40 and finishing off CPL theory exams and have been advised that I don’t require a Class 1 medical for theory exams however do for the initial CPL IFR flight exam with DFE

If it’s correct do I have to get a new issued class 2 medical certificate from DME or is the expired class 1 valid?

I have a few x-country PIC hours to fly I.e. the 300NM solo PIC
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle
cage
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 354 times

Re: Does Class 1 lapse and automatically revert to Class 2?

Unread post by cage » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:03 pm

Float_flyer wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:46 pm
I have been advised that a Class 1 which expires automatically becomes a class 2 and is valid for 5 years

Is this correct?

I’m over 40 and finishing off CPL theory exams and have been advised that I don’t require a Class 1 medical for theory exams however do for the initial CPL IFR flight exam with DFE

If it’s correct do I have to get a new issued class 2 medical certificate from DME or is the expired class 1 valid?

I have a few x-country PIC hours to fly I.e. the 300NM solo PIC
Your class 1 should state the validity as a class 2 on the certificate. If it does you are good to go.
Trevor Duane
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Grootfontein
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 79 times

Unread post by Trevor Duane » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:18 pm

You are partially correct there, your Class 1 downgraded or lapsed to a class 2 will only be valid for 2 years when the holder is over the age of 40.
Iceberg
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAWB
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 123 times

Unread post by Iceberg » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:59 am

The new medical states the validity dates for both class 1 and 2.
I usually do my medical for a class 1. I'm over 60, so it is only valid for 6 months but for 12 months as class 2.

I only fly part 91 nowadays, so that is fine, I can fly for 12 months, but I had an issue recently with this.
I did an RNP approach rating and CAA did not want to put it on my licence because my class 1 had lapsed. My class 2 was still valid.
I had to go for a medical to reinstate my class 1 - only then did they add the rating. Does not make sense - the rating is not tied to me being a CPL, only that I have a valid IF rating.
The sky is not the limit....
ZS-MDK
Karl Eschberger
Tim
Taxiing to Threshold
Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 34 times

Unread post by Tim » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:07 pm

Iceberg wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:59 am
I usually do my medical for a class 1. I'm over 60, so it is only valid for 6 months but for 12 months as class
I did my class 1 today, and no, it only states the expiry date for the Class 1.

Also, it is the same form that was used since ‘100 years’. There woundn’t really be any space to state a separate expiry date for Class 2.
Iceberg
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by Iceberg » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:30 am

Tim wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:07 pm
Iceberg wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:59 am
I usually do my medical for a class 1. I'm over 60, so it is only valid for 6 months but for 12 months as class
I did my class 1 today, and no, it only states the expiry date for the Class 1.

Also, it is the same form that was used since ‘100 years’. There woundn’t really be any space to state a separate expiry date for Class 2.
Your AME is behind with the technology. He still uses the old forms. I have had the new expanded form for the last two years.
ZS-MDK
Karl Eschberger
Tim
Taxiing to Threshold
Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 34 times

Unread post by Tim » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:50 pm

Thanks, that makes sense. So are we saying that you - holder of a CPL and over 60 years old - can do commercial work from Month 1 to Month 6 after your Class 1 medical renewal, and then do Part 91 flying from Month 7 until the end of your Class 2 validity?

And that you'd survive a CAA ramp check (after Month 7), showing your CPL and your Class 2 medical, as long as you are not suspected to have done commercial work on that day?

And then do your medical Class 1 renewal in Month 13 and the same month go to the CAA offices to do your annual CPL renewal (with, or without flight test)?
Iceberg
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by Iceberg » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:07 pm

Tim wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:50 pm
Thanks, that makes sense. So are we saying that you - holder of a CPL and over 60 years old - can do commercial work from Month 1 to Month 6 after your Class 1 medical renewal, and then do Part 91 flying from Month 7 until the end of your Class 2 validity?

And that you'd survive a CAA ramp check (after Month 7), showing your CPL and your Class 2 medical, as long as you are not suspected to have done commercial work on that day?

And then do your medical Class 1 renewal in Month 13 and the same month go to the CAA offices to do your annual CPL renewal (with, or without flight test)?
Yes. My CPL and IF ratings are valid for a year - no issue there, as long as I have a class 1 medical when I renew.
ZS-MDK
Karl Eschberger

Return to “Aviation medical and related issues”