Deaf Pilots?

Medicine and other human performance related issues.

Moderator: Moderators

Superfueler
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: KMIA or on the Farm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Deaf Pilots?

Unread post by Superfueler » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:51 pm

Interesting it seems there are many deaf pilots in the US. Heck they even have their own association. http://www.deafpilots.org but what are the numbers of them here and the regulations governing them in in SA as a matter of interest?
Superfueler
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by Superfueler » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:36 pm

Boomslang wrote:There must be a club in South Africa as we deal daily with pilots that can't hear anything.
:lol: That's a big club. :lol: :twisted:
Ray W
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: OR Tambo
Has liked: 230 times
Been liked: 107 times

Unread post by Ray W » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:58 pm

Boomslang wrote:There must be a club in South Africa as we deal daily with pilots that can't hear anything.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old age & treachery will triumph over youth & skill
janb

Unread post by janb » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:12 pm

In your neck of the woods, that club is next door to the Dof Pilot's Association.
Not sure which one has the most members.
zoofly
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by zoofly » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:17 pm

What :?: :?:
Who said pigs can't fly?
Barry Culligan
P&M Quik R ZU-KWK
Agent Cooper
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Agent Cooper » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:09 am

Say again. :wink:
Property Investment http://www.coopers.co.za
Be nice to your children as they choose the old age home you have to go to one day.
Romeo E.T.
8000 Tousand
8000 Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAJS
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 93 times

Unread post by Romeo E.T. » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:44 am

seriously....

Recal a student that went through 43AirSchool in the late 80's early 90's...was "clinically" deaf....with a very strong hearing aid could hear slightly.....had special headset made....went through all the tests and was issued a medical for PPL only provided he used his hearing aids and headsets....did his PPL on his own C182...dunno his name though....

Totally "deaf"...I should think not in SA
sometimes we suffer a bit from C.R.A.F.T. sickness..Can't Remember A F@#%ing Thing

https://www.facebook.com/ralf.t.schulz
Learjet
Helicopter getting close
Closest Airfield: Morningstar
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by Learjet » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:24 pm

Superfueler, your post highlights just how fortunate pilots are to be able fly and how often it is that we just take it for granted!

I don't know what the regulations are in SA with regards to flying with impaired hearing, however a good start may be to review the Aviation medicine section on the CAA website http://www.caa.co.za wherein they list the various protocols.

It may also be worthwhile to set up a meeting with an Aviation Health Medical Examiner and use this opportunity to set out your genuine motivation and desire to fly. Judging from other posts regarding phsyical issues related to flying I get the feeling that while docs usually just "play it by the book and shut the door" (its the easiest and least risk option for them) - there are also instances of "where there's a will there's a way" prevailing and with enough motivation and willingness to persuade and explore different options - there may be light at the end of the tunnel. No doubt it will be a tough road, paved with prejudice and preconceived mindsets and opinion - but as the old saying goes, "nothing ventured nothing gained!"

Lastly, if you ever want to come for a flip - you're more than welcome - just drop me a pm!

regards,
Dave
Superfueler
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by Superfueler » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:37 pm

Learjet wrote:Superfueler, your post highlights just how fortunate pilots are to be able fly and how often it is that we just take it for granted!

I don't know what the regulations are in SA with regards to flying with impaired hearing, however a good start may be to review the Aviation medicine section on the CAA website http://www.caa.co.za wherein they list the various protocols.

It may also be worthwhile to set up a meeting with an Aviation Health Medical Examiner and use this opportunity to set out your genuine motivation and desire to fly. Judging from other posts regarding phsyical issues related to flying I get the feeling that while docs usually just "play it by the book and shut the door" (its the easiest and least risk option for them) - there are also instances of "where there's a will there's a way" prevailing and with enough motivation and willingness to persuade and explore different options - there may be light at the end of the tunnel. No doubt it will be a tough road, paved with prejudice and preconceived mindsets and opinion - but as the old saying goes, "nothing ventured nothing gained!"

Lastly, if you ever want to come for a flip - you're more than welcome - just drop me a pm!

regards,
Dave
Thanks Learjet :wink:

Well I started chopper training several years ago and had a brilliant instructor but I lost interest after some hours when I went for my medical and a local old medical examiner threw up the barriers which at the time seemed insurmountable with the prevailing attitudes. The main obstacle for me meant I would be soon be paying double or triple the normal hourly rate to a flight school as I would have to solo and complete hours in unrestricted airspace which would mean having to get the instructor fly to an unrestricted field then have him twiddle his thumbs on the ground while I flew and then return him and the chopper to FACT. Simply not economical. :cry: It's a dream of mine to fly- and to own. I could be an aircraft owner now if I chose to be part of a syndicate but I'd be dependent on other syndicate members to do the flying and while that's fun, it's not the ideal outcome for me... I want to be a licensed pilot.- But whether I can be a pilot in this country I don't know. Certainly during my visits in Ireland and the US it was an option with the laws and attitudes the way they are there. Maybe it's now time to revisit a Medical Examiner and this time around speak to the CAA to look at the options.
My whole family has been involved in aviation in one way or another- Father was a Carrier pilot and in later life was awarded an Honorary Doctorate at ERAU, Brother is a Stearman owner & future Eclipse pilot, one cousin is a Bahamas based charter pilot and another cousin is a retired Airline Captain..., so, no matter how very strong my passion for aviation might be, and no matter how often I get to fly as a passenger, I don't think I've come full circle myself on my own life journey until I get my PPL. if I can get my PPL but, regardless, whether I manage to get it or not- it will never dissipate my true passion for all things of the air . :D
Learjet
Helicopter getting close
Closest Airfield: Morningstar
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by Learjet » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:31 pm

Superfueler - have you considered flying gyros? Reading your post I think you may just find them to be the happy median between rotary flying and training / ownership & flying costs. :lol:
Superfueler
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by Superfueler » Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:34 pm

Learjet wrote:Superfueler - have you considered flying gyros? Reading your post I think you may just find them to be the happy median between rotary flying and training / ownership & flying costs. :lol:

I do not personally find autogyros particularly appealing and I haven't convinced myself on their safety. In any case I am looking to purchase a 4-6 seater aircraft in the near future as an investment and I'll probably have to hire a CPL to fly everytime as I've given up convincing the wife to learn to fly :twisted:
John D
Aircraft in Hangar

Unread post by John D » Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:42 pm

Superfuler

A few years back there was a program on SABC TV about some chap that was deaf, used two hearing aids and passed his comm and was allowed to fly as such. Keep trying because it must be possible if this chap got it right. Contact SABC TV to see if it can be traced in theit archives, as it will at least give you evidence

John
Aah to fly
priester
1k poster
1k poster
Has liked: 4 times

Unread post by priester » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:21 pm

The criteria for flying with a hearing impairment is simply that you must be able to communicate with ATC without undue difficulty. Headsets actually works better that hearing aids because you can adjust the volume more easily and a lot of background noise is filtered out.

The above is from the horses mouth so to speak.
The truth, nothing but the truth
Rotor kop
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Closest Airfield: OR Thambo
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 13 times

Unread post by Rotor kop » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:58 pm

Superfueler wrote:
Learjet wrote:Superfueler - have you considered flying gyros? Reading your post I think you may just find them to be the happy median between rotary flying and training / ownership & flying costs. :lol:

I do not personally find autogyros particularly appealing and I haven't convinced myself on their safety. In any case I am looking to purchase a 4-6 seater aircraft in the near future as an investment and I'll probably have to hire a CPL to fly everytime as I've given up convincing the wife to learn to fly :twisted:
The wife wants her car first......then she will consider the flying bit - even though she will be doing lowlevel flying in her merc or Audi :twisted:
To fly is Heavenly, but to HOVER is Divine
I'm not driving fast - i'm flying low
braider

Re: Deaf Pilots?

Unread post by braider » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:57 am

Hey guys

To revive an old post, has anyone gone any further on this matter? I am a hard of hearing chappie that although not deaf, would battle to hear on the headsets, but have a HUGE interesting in flying...

Anyone?

Return to “Aviation medical and related issues”