Deaf Pilots?

Medicine and other human performance related issues.

Moderator: Moderators

Dusty Eagle
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: My Home and Tedderfield
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times

Re: Deaf Pilots?

Unread post by Dusty Eagle » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:15 pm

Hi Braider.

I'm somewhere in your desription of " hard of hearing" , you know, in the "please say again stage" and my Avdoc has endorsed the use of ANR head sets for when I fly.
I have a Bose and Lightspeed Zulu and chatting to atc is still fine, pending certains accents and speed.[ But my normal hearing mates cant undestand them either ]
There are some good head sets out there, go try one and fly mate.
Nico Brandt
pcb
Take off Clearance
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Unread post by pcb » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:03 am

Braider have you received any more info following your proposal that this "old post" be re-visited? I think there are people out there who could benefit from the latest determinations on the "hard of hearing issue". We are all getting on in life and it would just be good to know that technology can do for hard of hearing what corrective lenses can do for deteriorating eyesight. pcb
DouglasN
Lining Up
Closest Airfield: FASI + FABB + FlyInn
Has liked: 5 times

Re:

Unread post by DouglasN » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:31 pm

Learjet wrote:
It may also be worthwhile to set up a meeting with an Aviation Health Medical Examiner and use this opportunity to set out your genuine motivation and desire to fly. Judging from other posts regarding phsyical issues related to flying I get the feeling that while docs usually just "play it by the book and shut the door" (its the easiest and least risk option for them) - there are also instances of "where there's a will there's a way" prevailing and with enough motivation and willingness to persuade and explore different options - there may be light at the end of the tunnel. No doubt it will be a tough road, paved with prejudice and preconceived mindsets and opinion - but as the old saying goes, nothing ventured nothing gained.

regards,
Dave
Dave! I think you ar 100% correct, when i wanted to start scuba diving that was the experience i had, i went to one of the most well known dive doctors, explained my ear issues, he just flatly said no.

I started looking around and found a doctor that was prepared to work with me provided i listned to his and followed the instructions, 2 ops lateri am just on 100 dives.

And my issues will not stop me from flying, i have seen guys with much worse hearing /ear issues flying.

Superfueler, if its your passion, you can find a way.
---------
Douglas
Neville Ferreira
Helicopter getting close

Unread post by Neville Ferreira » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:11 pm

Legally you do not require a radio if you operate outside "controlled airspace" so stay out of the way of faster aries and keep away from ATC's controlled areas.
jacbot
Take off Clearance
Closest Airfield: FAKT
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by jacbot » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:52 am

Personally knows a young man who bacame a cpl, obtained his instructers rating and is now flying for the airlines. He wears hearing aids in both ears. Don't know if he is an avcommer and won't mention his name without his consent. Will try to get hold of him and see if he can shed some light.
Flymed
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: Greater Gauteng

Unread post by Flymed » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:52 pm

You can be stone deaf if you are willing to stay out of controlled airspace, inside controlled airspace you need to prove adequate hearing for full meaningful communication. Just make sure that if you go the hearing aid route that it is compatible with your headset to prevent your head from becoming the centre of the mother of all squelch problems!
priester
1k poster
1k poster
Has liked: 4 times

Unread post by priester » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:04 pm

Flymed

I haven't come across hearing aids that are compatible with a headset, simply remove before flight 8)
The truth, nothing but the truth
Whirly
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: Ermelo
Been liked: 22 times

Unread post by Whirly » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:07 pm

I have been stone deaf for years, all you have to do is press the button at regular intervals during the test..........................it works, ask Flymed, he thinks my hearing is great! :twisted:

Whirly.
Every dog needs a home and every home needs a dog (or two or three).
Flymed
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by Flymed » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:43 pm

priester wrote:Flymed

I haven't come across hearing aids that are compatible with a headset, simply remove before flight 8)
They actually exist, but the setup of the hearing aids are crucial. The headsets should be taken to the audiologist/ hearing aid agent for matching. Be aware not all headsets are matchable! Next question; no offhand I do not know which headsets are compatible, but it should be easy to find out by contacting the reputable manufacturers of these sets and hearing aids.
Flymed
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by Flymed » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:46 pm

Whirly wrote:I have been stone deaf for years, all you have to do is press the button at regular intervals during the test..........................it works, ask Flymed, he thinks my hearing is great! :twisted:

Whirly.
I sort of play along because the poor guy drives and sells Toyotas. It's so sad :cry:
bosvark
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Rhinopark
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by bosvark » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:01 pm

Flymed wrote:You can be stone deaf if you are willing to stay out of controlled airspace, inside controlled airspace you need to prove adequate hearing for full meaningful communication. Just make sure that if you go the hearing aid route that it is compatible with your headset to prevent your head from becoming the centre of the mother of all squelch problems!

I think I know people like that. :twisted: And they don't even use hearing aids #-o #-o
Evans VP 1 ZU - VPI (Work in progress)
DouglasN
Lining Up
Closest Airfield: FASI + FABB + FlyInn
Has liked: 5 times

Unread post by DouglasN » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:21 pm

Well today I went for my first medical so I can get my SPL to continue my PPL training, passed everything but the hearing test due to a low tone issue and a slight loss of hearing ( i have reconstructed eardrums), I have to go for a full Audiology test and then get signed off by an ENT, then take that all back to the Doc who reckons I should be passed to fly eventually but might need to go for a noise cancelling headset.
---------
Douglas
T4flyer
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Lanseria

Unread post by T4flyer » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:04 pm

I almost stopped flying due to hearing loss, but on advice of other Avcomers I decided to try hearing aid's. I now wear hearing aids when flying and I am able to communicate much better than I could before. You have to have them set up with minimal feedback otherwise they will "buzz" when you put your headset on and I would recommend a top of the range ANR headset (I use Bose A20)

Good hearing aids are not cheap (read bloody expensive) but much better than giving up you passion.

Hearing loss need not be the end of your flying. :D

Cheers.
Chalkie
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FAPX
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 39 times

Unread post by Chalkie » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:32 pm

Flymed wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:43 pm
priester wrote:Flymed

They actually exist, but the setup of the hearing aids are crucial. The headsets should be taken to the audiologist/ hearing aid agent for matching. Be aware not all headsets are matchable! Next question; no offhand I do not know which headsets are compatible, but it should be easy to find out by contacting the reputable manufacturers of these sets and hearing aids.
I am now going through the CAA box-ticking process. I have tinnitus due to 10 years in the hangars at SAA as an aircraft mechanic (when I was 19 to 28 years old.) Now at age 70 as a retired ATPL, with normal age related hearing loss I cannot hear 5000Hz at 50 db. Fortunately most ATC do not scream at 5000Hz but our CAA is on a mission and seem to want to bankrupt me with medical, audio and simulator tests. (In a B738 simulator nog al.)

I now hold a CPL (for my instructor rating) and plan to downgrade to PPL in March 2019, but audio requirements for class 1 and class 2 medicals are apparently the same.

Knowing I always use ANR Zulu headsets and my avionics have a volume knob, I wonder why would the CAA have to go to such great lengths, why not just say: "get hearing aids and re-do the test?"

Over to the medical boffs...
Rule #2 Hurry up Slowly.
Cynic: One who knows the cost of everything and the value of nothing.
Flymed
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by Flymed » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:18 am

CAA does not require testing at 5000Hz, but only for 500, 1000, 2000 and 3000Hz.

Return to “Aviation medical and related issues”