Sling 4 build Morningstar

The Airplane Factory, manufacturers of the Sling aircraft, a practical and desirable light sport aircraft (LSA)

Moderator: Moderators

checkride
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: Morning Star
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Sling 4 build Morningstar

Unread post by checkride » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:22 pm

Finished dipping(Alodine) the rear wing ribs for both left and right wings. Opened the box containing main spars and more bits and pieces and did an inventory. Hopefully tomorrow if the weather cools down i can spray and construct rear wing ribs and star on the main spar....big milestone
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
checkride
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by checkride » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:42 am

Over the weekend completed preparations on the Wing Ribs, started construction yesterday. Hopefully today I can finish construction Ribs 5 through 12 and get ready for the main spar....
What was most annoying was the use of the 4.8mm 15mm rivet. The quality sucks, each one measured was not the same in diameter. Ever hole on the ribs needing these rivets and theres plenty of them had to be reamed slightly. Ill take a close up of the rivet , picture tells all. And again found a few holes on the ribs themselves that had been missed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
checkride
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by checkride » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:46 pm

Construction done and dusted. those damn 4.8mm /15mm rivets are a real pain in the butt :(
checkride
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by checkride » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:06 pm

SO i go down to the hanger this morning early to start working on the left spar. Had a bunch of work planed. Started to do the inventory of all the items for the main spar devided up into left and right wing only to find missing parts again. I am so sick and tired of the bull. Do they not have quality control. Sling get ypur S+_*&^%T together. I thought you guys were better.
I was so angry closed up shop and went home but not before contacting the kit supplier and giving them a how is your aunty attitude first. Sorry guys had to blow off steam you were the closest.
Vaatjie
Aircraft in Hangar
Closest Airfield: FAFK

Unread post by Vaatjie » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:28 pm

Hi Checkride
Give me a call. Would like to come and see your progress. At Fisantekraal. Finished my sling 4 last year and enjoying her very much. Interested in your engine selection.
Vaatjie
Kogs
Avionics Master On
Closest Airfield: Treverton

Unread post by Kogs » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:13 am

I was interested to read in an earlier post by Lo Ammi that you will need to twist the airlerons and flaps to line up with the trailing edge of the wing to compensate for the washout on the wing. I was looking at my Sling 2 this morning and the flap and airleron appear to be in a straight line as does the trailing edge of the wing. I could see no twists in either. I wonder what the Airplane factory's opinion is?
Ian cawley
Ian Cawley
checkride
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by checkride » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:03 pm

Ian,

Im a long way off from there. Been way to hot over the past few weeks to do any work in the hanger. Im in the process of prepping all the parts to rig up the main spar. Thats ribs , stringers , rear spar etc. Only once that is all completed ( Dipped and Sprayed will i start construction, bit long winded but I will definitely not have a corrosion issue for many years to come.
Did you all spray your main spars with Strontium or leave it as it came from the factory. Doesn't look like the spars have had any corrosion control
Last edited by checkride on Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
checkride
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by checkride » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:04 pm

[quote="Kogs"]I was interested to read in an earlier post by Lo Ammi that you will need to twist the airlerons and flaps to line up with the trailing edge of the wing to compensate for the washout on the wing. I was looking at my Sling 2 this morning and the flap and airleron appear to be in a straight line as does the trailing edge of the wing. I could see no twists in either. I wonder what the Airplane factory's opinion is?
Ian cawley[/quote]

Maybe this is relevant only for the Sling 4 will ask Andrew
checkride
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by checkride » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:06 pm

[quote="Vaatjie"]Hi Checkride
Give me a call. Would like to come and see your progress. At Fisantekraal. Finished my sling 4 last year and enjoying her very much. Interested in your engine selection.
Vaatjie
0825725938[/quote]

You welcome to pop in any time. Im there on weekends and most mornings. Hanger is on the main taxi way South side only one with a Braai out front
checkride
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by checkride » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:54 pm

Ok this is from Sling regarding the wing:

If the aileron and flap are made perfectly flat then there is a slight step between them and also the wingtip when they are all lined up.

What we started doing recently is leaving the leading edge of the flap and aileron unriveted and then fitting them to the completed wing and lining the trailing edges up perfectly with a line (gut or string). After that the flap and aileron leading edges are riveted in this manner, the trailing edges of the step part, flap, aileron and wingtip should be perfectly aligned on the wing.

Would of been great if they posted an update now if I have this issue I have to de-rivet , not cool at all.
checkride
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by checkride » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:14 pm

Just so you all know , have not stopped the build. Been busy doing an inventory on the fuselage kit, last week the canopy arrived so I now have everything to finish excluding the avionics.

Next week Ill be back in full swing agian
Lateflyer
Aircraft in Hangar
Closest Airfield: PC Pelser

Unread post by Lateflyer » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:21 am

Sent you a PM
ZU-IIF Sling 4
ZU-IKC Sling 2
checkride
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by checkride » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:42 pm

Progress at last only to find again a part for the rear spar incorrect. So over the last week been preparing all the parts to assemble the wing and get everything in the Jig. My long rage tanks arrived today so now I have everything except the avionics to finish Turbo ( Sling 4) turbo is her name just by the way.
So assembled the one rear spar, all stop Channel 2 rear spar extension is too short doesnt fit bla bla bla...patients. Suppose I can carry on with something else but it throws me out . I like doing things in sequence as per the book. So again i didn't get to turn the page. ( remember) :D :D
checkride
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by checkride » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:40 pm

Started putting together the main spar on the jig. Cleco the ribs and marked same. Have to remove everything for the rear spar later and Spray the spar with Strontium. Going to leave it in place.

Main Spar tie down has to be removed off the main spar to make way for the Long Range tanks. Yip she will have 4 tanks.
checkride
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by checkride » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:31 pm

A lot has happened over the last few days. Right wing is ready for the bottom skins. have spent the last few days working on the skins, weather permitting will dip and spray tomorrow. Thinking of preparing all the skins for the right wing then doing the tanks. remember I am doing long range tanks so two per wing plus the skins cannot be installed on the wing until the long range tank is completed and ready to be installed on the leading edge. Well this is my understanding of the shitty plans I received with the kit.
Made up and engine stand so work can start on the Jabiru engine soon..remember 8) 8)

Return to “Sling”