Different aircraft comparison to the norm

The Airplane Factory, manufacturers of the Sling aircraft, a practical and desirable light sport aircraft (LSA)

Moderator: Moderators

jacovt
Flight Planning
Closest Airfield: Morningstar
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0

Different aircraft comparison to the norm

Unread post by jacovt » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:42 pm

Hi everyone

Been lurking on AVCOM for a while and finally decided to register.

Busy with my PPL and contemplating a build. Options pretty much down to sling or RV. My initial thoughts are around:

1) easy plane to fly to build hours
2) mostly flown with only one or two people on board
3) 90-100 pounds weight carry ability
4) being able to lug sports equipment (hunting/competition rifle or golf clubs)

For me the two similar priced aircraft that have made the shortlist are the RV-14 and the sling 4 (normal - not TSi). Being a 4 seater vs 2 seater, no-one seems to really compare them. But for me they are both good contenders for “cross-country for two people with a bit more luggage” job.

Other than the obvious performance differences between the two aircraft and the Rotax vs Lycoming stalemate debates, the only factor that struck me after physically looking at both planes in the flesh is that the sling 4’s usable bagage space (space, not weight) is much larger than the RVs when you remove the two rear seats, or fold them flat - ideal for sports equiment. So even though both planes have comparable luggage weight allowances when flown with only two people onboard, the RV-17 only has the rectangular box space behind the seats where you will struggle to load a rifle bag or set of golf clubs.

Am I missing something? Any approved modifications one can make to the RV load area to allow alightly longer items to fit in the load area (obviously while still keeping plane inside CG limits)?

Thanks
Flooi
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FAHG
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 9 times

Re: Different aircraft comparison to the norm

Unread post by Flooi » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:27 am

Start off by telling us how much you want to spend...
jacovt
Flight Planning

Unread post by jacovt » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:25 am

Flooi wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:27 am
Start off by telling us how much you want to spend...
From the (albeit limited) bit of research work I did it seems that both planes, whether bought factory built new, building yourself from kits new or buying similar avionics versions of both planes second hand tend to set you back about the same amount of money (looks like R2.5m plus VAT factory built, and around R1.8m to R2m all-in for self build or sub 500 hour second hand).

So I got the impression that acquisition budget is not the main driver for choice between the two, but rather a driver of whether you buy new, second hand or build yourself? Or am I mistaken!? :shock:
Flooi
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by Flooi » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:50 pm

For that type of money, you have virtually unlimited options.
Buy a factory built. Ensure maintenance backup is good.
If you plan on only 2 flying, consider the many NTCA.
Go fly as many as you can.
Talk to as many experienced airmen as you can.
You cannot go wrong buying a new Sling.... but there are also other options.
Good luck!
jacovt
Flight Planning

Unread post by jacovt » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:27 pm

Thanks for the feedback Vlooi.

My discussions with longtime aircraft owners have left me with the impression that flying requires serious capital outlay.

You can spend R750k to R1m buying a 40 year old certified 4 seater Piper, fix up the obvious issues (R200k to R500k) and drop a further R50k to R100k per annum on repairs and MPIs and end up spending the money over the ten year ownership period.

Or you can “knyp jou oë toe” and buy a sub-300 hour NTCA for R1.8 to R2.3m and spend R15k to R20k per annum on MPIs if you look after the plane well - and have less ongoing maintenance issues that take time and effort to sort out.

I am always happy to learn more from those who have walked the road before. 8)
Flooi
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by Flooi » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:56 pm

Jaco. For that money, you can buy top class NTCA. Opinions differ. My first PPL
lesson in 1973 was with a C150 at Krugersdorp. I have owned a few TCA in my time and
with the advancement of the LSA technology, I firmly believe that is the better
choice. Consider what you want to do.... higher speed long range or STOL... I have
some strong opinion, but best not wise to mention on public forum. :oops: Fly as many as
possible.... beware of older low hour bargains. :roll: Hennie

Return to “Sling”