For Sale: Mooney M20C

Looking at buying or selling your personal aircraft?

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
No commercial adverts please (If your intended post is of a commercial nature, then please follow this link and read BEFORE you post : http://www.avcom.co.za/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=54617). If you are advertising for a friend - the ad must contain the owners contact details. If you wish to advertise in the commercial section: - email ads@avcom.co.za for more information. Model Aircraft and non aviation item's have their own section - any posted here will be deleted.
User avatar
Vogoff
Reaching GFA
Posts: 260
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:54 am
Closest Airfield: FASY
Location: Johannesburg
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 53 times

Re: For Sale: Mooney M20C

Unread post by Vogoff » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:58 pm

Rotor kop wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:21 am
What block speed do you get and fuel burn please, also payload with full tanks, range? I am asking because google brings up way to many different figures. Better to get your actual figures. Thank you.
You can find a POH here:
https://www.manualslib.com/download/133 ... -M20c.html

From experience I plan for 135 knots ground speed averaging around 32l/hour (properly leaned) @ FL095. With full tanks (200l) that gives around 5.5 hours endurance (with 45 minute reserve) and an approximate range of 750nm.

The POH says that at 2400 RPM and 19" you should get around 135 knots, 30l/h, endurance 5h37, and range of 760 nautical miles. So my experience is not too far from the book value.

Unfortunately my weight and balance is in the aircraft so I don't have the exact numbers in front of me, but according to my app I can carry 285kg (630lbs) with full fuel tanks.

Hope this helps.
Matthew French
ZS-DWU Mooney M20C
User avatar
Rotor kop
Seven Thousand
Seven Thousand
Posts: 7729
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:43 pm
Closest Airfield: OR Thambo
Location: Wherever there is good diamond gravels...
Has liked: 904 times
Been liked: 106 times

Re: For Sale: Mooney M20C

Unread post by Rotor kop » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:45 pm

Vogoff wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:58 pm
Rotor kop wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:21 am
What block speed do you get and fuel burn please, also payload with full tanks, range? I am asking because google brings up way to many different figures. Better to get your actual figures. Thank you.
You can find a POH here:
https://www.manualslib.com/download/133 ... -M20c.html

From experience I plan for 135 knots ground speed averaging around 32l/hour (properly leaned) @ FL095. With full tanks (200l) that gives around 5.5 hours endurance (with 45 minute reserve) and an approximate range of 750nm.

The POH says that at 2400 RPM and 19" you should get around 135 knots, 30l/h, endurance 5h37, and range of 760 nautical miles. So my experience is not too far from the book value.

Unfortunately my weight and balance is in the aircraft so I don't have the exact numbers in front of me, but according to my app I can carry 285kg (630lbs) with full fuel tanks.

Hope this helps.
Thank you =D>
To fly is Heavenly, but to HOVER is Divine
I'm not driving fast - i'm flying low
User avatar
Vogoff
Reaching GFA
Posts: 260
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:54 am
Closest Airfield: FASY
Location: Johannesburg
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 53 times

Re: For Sale: Mooney M20C

Unread post by Vogoff » Sun May 31, 2020 5:30 pm

Managed to do my maintenance flight yesterday. DWU flew beautifully. Can't say the same about the pilot who is clearly a little out of practice. :oops:

Unfortunately (for me) my AMO has informed me that my propeller is due for its 10 year overhaul at the next MPI, which will dent the bank account. Therefore I am dropping the asking price until the end of July. It is not really a discount, but I only think it is fair in the circumstances.
Matthew French
ZS-DWU Mooney M20C
Pine
Flight Planning
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:37 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: For Sale: Mooney M20C

Unread post by Pine » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:48 pm

Vogoff wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 5:30 pm
Managed to do my maintenance flight yesterday. DWU flew beautifully. Can't say the same about the pilot who is clearly a little out of practice. :oops:

Unfortunately (for me) my AMO has informed me that my propeller is due for its 10 year overhaul at the next MPI, which will dent the bank account. Therefore I am dropping the asking price until the end of July. It is not really a discount, but I only think it is fair in the circumstances.
What is the cost on the prop overhaul and the yearly MPI?
User avatar
Vogoff
Reaching GFA
Posts: 260
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:54 am
Closest Airfield: FASY
Location: Johannesburg
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 53 times

Re: For Sale: Mooney M20C

Unread post by Vogoff » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:01 pm

Pine wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:48 pm
What is the cost on the prop overhaul and the yearly MPI?
I don't have an exact number for the MPI because I use the opportunity to fix other snags and maybe do an upgrade or two. Base cost was around R12k when I last asked, but there is always some more work to do so I budget around R20k.

I don't have a quote for the prop overhaul, will only get one once the prop is removed from the aircraft. But the best guesstimate I could extract was around R30k for an overhaul.
Matthew French
ZS-DWU Mooney M20C
Lood
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Posts: 4421
Joined: Wed May 04, 2005 11:45 am
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 76 times

Re: For Sale: Mooney M20C

Unread post by Lood » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:13 pm

Sounds about right. Prescribed hours for this Mooney are 22, so just multiply that by the hourly rate of your AMO and add the extra's. Average MPI cost on my M20F was R23K.
No idea what the prop overhaul costs are these days.
"An airplane might disappoint any pilot, but it'll never surprise a good one." — Len Morgan
AndyCapp
ATC Delay
Posts: 121
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:26 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

Re: For Sale: Mooney M20C

Unread post by AndyCapp » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:28 am

Just received a quote on my M20J amounted to 41K.
Francoisc
Priming
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:15 pm
Closest Airfield: FACT
Location: Cape Town
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 8 times

Re: For Sale: Mooney M20C

Unread post by Francoisc » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:33 pm

AndyCapp wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:28 am
Just received a quote on my M20J amounted to 41K.
My M20J just came back from MPI at SA Mooney, just under 35K incl vat, and that includes a new tire.
And SA Mooney is not exactly the the cheapest place for an MPI by a long shot, but the work they do is worth the price you pay.

Good luck with the sale
gerritv
Preflighting
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:08 am
Closest Airfield: EFA
Location: Hartswater
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: For Sale: Mooney M20C

Unread post by gerritv » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:03 pm

I also heard that the Mooneys mpi's are around R25k - R35k.
Last edited by gerritv on Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AEH
Airborne from Unmanned field
Posts: 522
Joined: Fri May 11, 2012 12:41 pm
Closest Airfield: FASY
Location: Northcliff
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 19 times

Re: For Sale: Mooney M20C

Unread post by AEH » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:02 pm

Lovely aircraft that is pampered by her owner.Good value for anyone who buys her.
Alan Evan-Hanes ZU-ASI PA-18-150
083-325-5654
User avatar
Vogoff
Reaching GFA
Posts: 260
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:54 am
Closest Airfield: FASY
Location: Johannesburg
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 53 times

Re: For Sale: Mooney M20C

Unread post by Vogoff » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:05 pm

ZS-DWU is now at Rand Airport for the MPI.
Matthew French
ZS-DWU Mooney M20C
User avatar
Vogoff
Reaching GFA
Posts: 260
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:54 am
Closest Airfield: FASY
Location: Johannesburg
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 53 times

Re: For Sale: Mooney M20C

Unread post by Vogoff » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:50 pm

MPI completed - DWU now has a freshly overhauled prop and magnetos. And a fresh CofA.

For the curious: the MPI came to R67k. But this was a much more expensive annual than usual - half the cost was just the prop.

Could be worse - I see YouTuber Steveo1kinevo's TBM cost USD93k for its annual. Yes - that is US dollars! :shock:
Matthew French
ZS-DWU Mooney M20C
User avatar
Vogoff
Reaching GFA
Posts: 260
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:54 am
Closest Airfield: FASY
Location: Johannesburg
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 53 times

Re: For Sale: Mooney M20C

Unread post by Vogoff » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:24 am

*bump*

Aircraft is still for sale. Although running so smoothly after the MPI I must confess I was having second thoughts. Uhm... that and the fact that the aircraft I was looking at were all sold before I could make an offer, so my original reason for selling went away.

I have resolved it is time for a change. I love my Mooney, but life is too short to spend it with one aircraft and my bank manager won't let me own two...
Matthew French
ZS-DWU Mooney M20C
ByronPilot
Tripped over wheel chock
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:11 pm
Closest Airfield: Lanseria
Location: Lanseria
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 0

Re: For Sale: Mooney M20C

Unread post by ByronPilot » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:43 am

Very nice mooney. They are very good value for money
Mine was a very reluctant sale when I upgrAded
Would have loved to keep her

Return to “Aircraft for Sale”