Aerobatic Training/Rating - Getting started

Discussions on Aerobatics and Sport flying.

Moderator: Moderators

SIQ
Rolling

Aerobatic Training/Rating - Getting started

Unread post by SIQ » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:56 am

Hi,

Hope someone will be able to help. I would like to obtain an aerobatic rating/training but cannot seem to get started. The main purpose of the the training for me would be to improve my general flying skills and also to have some fun while doing it (ie not competition flying). I have done the following research:

1) It would be good to do your aerobatic rating on a slowish taildragger because if you want to progress to more advcanced stuff they are all taildraggers. Then I can also do my taildragger rating and my aeorbatic course in one go (potential cost saving etc).
2) The skill to fly the slow aircraft is also a very good learning platform (Source: Basic Aerobatics, Szurovy and Goulian - found this book very interesting and have also ordered "Better Aerobatics", Cassidy)
3) The taildragger that stands out here is the Super Decathlon – maybe you knoe of something else
4) I have contacted Ayre Aviation (based in Virginia) as they were the only company that have a Super Decathlon. They have one but they do not have an instructor for the aerobatics only for the taildragger rating. I have contacted FTS at Grand Central and apparently they don’t do an aerobatic rating any longer (I think the Super Decathlon based in Virginia at the moment was based at Grand Central at FTS but was moved). I see that Heidelberg also have an aerobatics course but they do it on the 152 Aerobat wich is not a taildragger. I have contacted Westline Aviation but they do not have a taildragger available at the moment.

Hope someone can point me in the right direction as I would like to get started.
paulw
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: Wonderboom

Re: Aerobatic Training/Rating - Getting started

Unread post by paulw » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:59 pm

SIQ wrote:Hi,

Hope someone will be able to help. I would like to obtain an aerobatic rating/training but cannot seem to get started. The main purpose of the the training for me would be to improve my general flying skills and also to have some fun while doing it (ie not competition flying). I have done the following research:

1) It would be good to do your aerobatic rating on a slowish taildragger because if you want to progress to more advcanced stuff they are all taildraggers. Then I can also do my taildragger rating and my aeorbatic course in one go (potential cost saving etc).
2) The skill to fly the slow aircraft is also a very good learning platform (Source: Basic Aerobatics, Szurovy and Goulian - found this book very interesting and have also ordered "Better Aerobatics", Cassidy)
3) The taildragger that stands out here is the Super Decathlon – maybe you knoe of something else
4) I have contacted Ayre Aviation (based in Virginia) as they were the only company that have a Super Decathlon. They have one but they do not have an instructor for the aerobatics only for the taildragger rating. I have contacted FTS at Grand Central and apparently they don’t do an aerobatic rating any longer (I think the Super Decathlon based in Virginia at the moment was based at Grand Central at FTS but was moved). I see that Heidelberg also have an aerobatics course but they do it on the 152 Aerobat wich is not a taildragger. I have contacted Westline Aviation but they do not have a taildragger available at the moment.

Hope someone can point me in the right direction as I would like to get started.
Looks like you did your homework well.

SAFTA at Heidelberg can't give you a rating either, but an excellent place to start and get the basics done.
The taildragger can come later.
A good place as a next step or to start is a YAK and in the case of a YAK-52 a nosewheel and YAK-55 a tail dragger. Although a YAK-55 is a step up from YAK-52.

There are a few taildraggers to do your rating on at Rand, but they are faster and instructors have little time available as they all have fulltime jobs.

They have a book on how to take my money away? When did this happen......
ZUBSK
Lining Up
Closest Airfield: Lanseria

Unread post by ZUBSK » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:09 am

Contact the SAC (Sport Aerobatic Club) http://www.aerobatics.co.za. Great bunch of guys all willing to help and point you in the right direction.

As seen, finding a school that offers aero ratings is close to impossible. If you are serious about aerobatics, owning your own aircraft (or a share in one) is the way to go. As Paul W says, a Yak 52 is a great place to start (Paul has just become the proud owner of a share in one, maybe talk to him about a share!!). Once competent in the Yak, transitioning to a tail wheel aerobatic aircraft is no big deal.

Aerobatic instructors are available (SAC). The aerobatic rating may be done through the SAC.

Good luck,

Gary
jbayfan
Lining Up

Unread post by jbayfan » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:52 am

SAFTA now has a fully aerobatic 2004 Alpha 160Ai aerobatic aircraft with an inverted fuel and oil system at rates that are slightly higher than renting a C172 at the school. It is also available for advanced navigation at the same rate as the C172's. The reason for the difference in price is that each aerobatic hour is loaded by the insurance company and the aerobatics places a higher stress load on the aircraft, especially when one gets up to the level of snap rolls etc.

This aircraft can be used for both intro and advanced aerobatics.

Contact the CFI, Derek Bird, on 083 699 1539.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stefan
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FARA

Unread post by stefan » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:13 pm

Any idea what their rates are?
paulw
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand

Unread post by paulw » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:32 pm

stefan wrote:Any idea what their rates are?
Approx R1050 on C152 Aerobat and Approx R1650 on Alpha. (per hour)

stefan
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FARA

Unread post by stefan » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:01 pm

Does anybody have a e-mail adress for Derek? Please pm me if you can help out. THX.
BIRD
Tripped over wheel chock
Closest Airfield: Fahg

Unread post by BIRD » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:11 pm

Hi Stefan, my email address is dbird@safta.co.za
Regards
SIQ
Rolling

Unread post by SIQ » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:07 am

Hi All,

I see that I started the thread in March 2013 already. Maybe it is time for an update? The newly elected chairperson of the Sport Aerobatic Club of South Africa (SAC), Neville Ferreira, asked me to write a short piece on my experience in the aerobatic environment thus far. If you are interested you can follow the link:

http://www.pilotspost.co.za/arn0000637

Regards,

Eugene du Preez
P2T2
Forgot to remove the chocks!

Unread post by P2T2 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:58 pm

Eish shouldn't have read that.

Now I need to go Rob a bank.

Thanks for posting SIQ.
BigMike
Preflighting
Closest Airfield: durban deep. ruimsig

Unread post by BigMike » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:18 pm

Once i have completed my ppl I would like to follow the same route as you SIQ... when the time is right I will get into contact if you dont mind...

Mike
SIQ
Rolling

Unread post by SIQ » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:42 am

Anytime Mike. Looking forward to your call and all the best with your PPL

Eugene
paulw
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand

Unread post by paulw » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:36 pm

You don't have to get training via a school, there are plenty of people who can teach you.

MaggieKruger
Wanna Fly
Closest Airfield: FAGG

Unread post by MaggieKruger » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:05 am

Hey,
Does anyone know the legal requirements for an acrobatic rating? Hours etc?
paulw
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand

Unread post by paulw » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:08 am

Contact Neville Ferreira here on AVCOM, best person to advise you.

Return to “Aerobatics & Sport Flying”