Aerobatics rating

Discussions on Aerobatics and Sport flying.

Moderator: Moderators

StefanRV
Wanna Fly
Closest Airfield: FAPA
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Aerobatics rating

Unread post by StefanRV » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:02 am

Hi guys

Im currently instructing in PE but i have always wanted to do my aerobatics rating and most likely instruct aerobatics. Ive contacted aviation schools across south africa and everyone either doesn't have an aerobatic aircraft or a qualified aerobatic instructor. I really want to see the world upside down and increase my flying skills.
Please, any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks
Marty
Power on stall
Closest Airfield: FAVG
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 4 times

Re: Aerobatics rating

Unread post by Marty » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:12 am

I hope you going to Mossel bay this weekend?
Lots of aerobatic instructors there... :D
StefanRV
Wanna Fly
Closest Airfield: FAPA

Unread post by StefanRV » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:52 pm

Yeah, im planning to make a trip down there. Im sure it is going to be crazy awesome
F20
Mags Dead Cut
Closest Airfield: FAKT

Unread post by F20 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:52 pm

It is often recommend in the “Academy and Flight Safety” thread that (all) pilots should at least do a few hours of aerobatic training to become safer and more “complete” pilot. Then there may be others who would like to take it further than that as a sport. By implication one would think that you should just be able to pick up the phone, call a flying school and arrange it. Yet in practise it appears to very hard to obtain any aerobatic experience, instruction or rating

Now, this is a totally ignorant thought since I don’t understand the economies of scale involved. But is it not worthwhile for a flying school in Gauteng perhaps to make it a point to have, for example a Cessna aerobat in its “fleet” and an aerobatic instructor (even if only part time).
Imagine if you can make name as “THE” Aerobatic training institution in SA and with the weakening rand even lure some foreigners. Certainly there must be numerous takers and it can probably also sell the school as a good training facility over and above the aerobatics…. Or am I missing something? 8-[
paulw
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: Galway Airport
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 32 times

Unread post by paulw » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:48 pm

F20 wrote:It is often recommend in the “Academy and Flight Safety” thread that (all) pilots should at least do a few hours of aerobatic training to become safer and more “complete” pilot. Then there may be others who would like to take it further than that as a sport. By implication one would think that you should just be able to pick up the phone, call a flying school and arrange it. Yet in practise it appears to very hard to obtain any aerobatic experience, instruction or rating

Now, this is a totally ignorant thought since I don’t understand the economies of scale involved. But is it not worthwhile for a flying school in Gauteng perhaps to make it a point to have, for example a Cessna aerobat in its “fleet” and an aerobatic instructor (even if only part time).
Imagine if you can make name as “THE” Aerobatic training institution in SA and with the weakening rand even lure some foreigners. Certainly there must be numerous takers and it can probably also sell the school as a good training facility over and above the aerobatics…. Or am I missing something? 8-[
There was an Aerobat at Blue Chip at Wonderboom, but they sold it 18 months ago. Under utilised.

There is an Aerobat at a school at Rand, but they don't want to give aero instruction on it.

There is an Aerobat at SAFTA and the CFI used to give aero instruction on it and now he moved on to another school I believe.
Don't know what is the latest.

The advise is to do aero's but it seems very few people believe it is wise to do. So demand appears to be low.
Don't believe what I post, research what I post....
They have a book on how to take my money away? When did this happen......
F20
Mags Dead Cut
Closest Airfield: FAKT

Unread post by F20 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:49 am

"The advise is to do aero's but it seems very few people believe it is wise to do. So demand appears to be low"

Hmm. Interesting phenomena. Thanks for your answer Paul.
BIRD
Priming
Closest Airfield: Fahg

Unread post by BIRD » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:47 pm

Hi Stefanrv

I was the CFI at SAFTA and did give instruction that side for aero's. I have since left and don't have access to the aerobat anymore. There was an alpha 160 that I used as well which has since moved down to PE. I will be down in PE from time to time to assist the owner with some aerobatic training on the machine.I see your location is listed as PE so perhaps we could make a plan if it's fine with the owner and do some training?

. Drop me a PM with your details and when I go down maybe we can meet up...
paulw
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: Galway Airport
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 32 times

Unread post by paulw » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:45 am

BIRD wrote:Hi Stefanrv

I was the CFI at SAFTA and did give instruction that side for aero's. I have since left and don't have access to the aerobat anymore. There was an alpha 160 that I used as well which has since moved down to PE. I will be down in PE from time to time to assist the owner with some aerobatic training on the machine.I see your location is listed as PE so perhaps we could make a plan if it's fine with the owner and do some training?

. Drop me a PM with your details and when I go down maybe we can meet up...
@Stefanrv, "BIRD" is a really excellent instructor and take you through the manoeuvre's step by step.
He taugh me the initial basics on the aerobat at SAFTA and I can really recommend him.
Don't believe what I post, research what I post....
They have a book on how to take my money away? When did this happen......
BIRD
Priming
Closest Airfield: Fahg

Unread post by BIRD » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:08 am

Thanks for the compliment Paul :)
Wingsoverafrica
Airborne from Unmanned field
Closest Airfield: Morningstar

Unread post by Wingsoverafrica » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:09 pm

I purchased a Decathlon to be used just for this in Cape Town. Hopefully will have all the details sorted soon. ( Graduate Aerobatics, Initial Tail Dragger rating and maybe upset recover)
Sardyn
Reaching GFA

Unread post by Sardyn » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:19 pm

We have the same intentions with a Pitts being operated out of Petit on the East Rand...
Stuka
Lining Up

Unread post by Stuka » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:16 pm

Are there any good aerobatics instructors in Cape Town?
Wingsoverafrica
Airborne from Unmanned field
Closest Airfield: Morningstar

Unread post by Wingsoverafrica » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:56 am

Stuka wrote:Are there any good aerobatics instructors in Cape Town?
Yes , PM me for details
JohanOlivier
Tripped over wheel chock
Closest Airfield: FABB
Has liked: 7 times

Unread post by JohanOlivier » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:14 pm

Sardyn wrote:We have the same intentions with a Pitts being operated out of Petit on the East Rand...
Hi Stefanrv, I had the same problem, wanted to do my aerobatics course and it seemed like no one wanted to help me. I then posted on Avcom and within minutes got a PM from Sardyn. I'm now busy with my tail dragger convex and as soon as I'm done I'm gonna start the course with Sardyn. He took me for a flip in the Pitts last week and my view changed from something I wanted to do, to something I need to do.

Thanks again Sardyn, I really cant wait to get started.
On a mile of highway, you can drive a mile.
On a mile of railway, you can travel a mile
With a mile of runway, you have the whole world!!
Neville Ferreira
Frequent AvComer
Been liked: 24 times

Unread post by Neville Ferreira » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:01 pm

Please remember that any training you do will not automatically give you a rating..

Return to “Aerobatics & Sport Flying”