Competition Sequences in the 60's and 70's

Discussions on Aerobatics and Sport flying.

Moderator: Moderators

paulw
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: Wonderboom
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 14 times

Competition Sequences in the 60's and 70's

Unread post by paulw » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:11 pm

Hi
I am curious if anyone knows what Aresti or equivalent sequences were used in competitions in the 60's and 70's?

How did it change over the years?
Don't believe what I post, research what I post....
They have a book on how to take my money away? When did this happen......
StressMerchant
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Cab
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 57 times

Re: Competition Sequences in the 60's and 70's

Unread post by StressMerchant » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:48 am

I was still in primary school in the 70s, but mad keen on aviation as only a schoolboy can be :-)

A family friend was an ex-wartime pilot, and passed his flying mags on to me at the end of each month. An old box in my shed has some copies of South African Sport Aviation, a newspaper format journal that ran for about two years in the late 80s. It was taken over and incorporated into Wings Over Africa, which was eventually taken into World Airnews.

I remember reading articles, and even today the names of the various people still stick in my mind. Over the years I was privileged to meet several of them, Some of them through their participation in this forum. Jim Davis, Ray Watts, and Noel Otten come to mind.

I dug a few sequences and reports out and scanned them. Apologies for the poor copies, the originals are very fragile. You'll see some are authored by Noel Otten - I'm sure he can tell you more about the people and events.

I only participated in competition aerobatics much later - 2005 onwards - but several of the "old boys" would drop in to competitions, always a pleasure to meet them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair.
- Douglas Adams
paulw
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: Wonderboom
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 14 times

Re: Competition Sequences in the 60's and 70's

Unread post by paulw » Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:16 am

StressMerchant wrote:I was still in primary school in the 70s, but mad keen on aviation as only a schoolboy can be :-)
Same here. I always climbed on to the roof of my parents home (also in school same years) and watched the gliders and parachute jumping at Uitenhage airfield.
StressMerchant wrote: I dug a few sequences and reports out and scanned them. Apologies for the poor copies, the originals are very fragile. You'll see some are authored by Noel Otten - I'm sure he can tell you more about the people and events.
Thank you, I really appreciate it. :D

Here is something that might interest you as well that I managed to dig up on the internet.
I thought the Advanced competition sequences might be mild compared to today's sequences mostly due to the type of aircraft flown, but doesn't look like it.
But then this sequence shown here was for WAC and they used ZLIN, etc.
I am also curious what sequences the guys flew with the Tiger Moths, Aerobat, etc. What sequences were those aircraft capable of.

Thanks again and let me go and read these articles you posted :D

Paul
1970 - 1251.PDF
1970 - 1252.PDF
1970 - 1253.PDF
1970 - 1254.PDF
1970 - 1255.PDF
1970 - 1361.PDF
OriginsWAC.PDF
SA_2011_08.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't believe what I post, research what I post....
They have a book on how to take my money away? When did this happen......

Return to “Aerobatics & Sport Flying”