Giles 202 vs MX2

Discussions on Aerobatics and Sport flying.

Moderator: Moderators

lampiesJR
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: Porterville
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 25 times

Giles 202 vs MX2

Unread post by lampiesJR » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:53 pm

The major differences, as I have it, between the two are:

-the larger engine on the MX2: 150hp-230hp for Giles and 250hp-380hp for MX2

-Length. 1.5ft more for the MX2. I assume the reason for this is the 2 more pistons and a different prop/spinner?

-Wingspan. 22ft for the Giles and 24ft for the MX2. The reason for this is a diffirent wing design. The Giles has a slightly swept wing.

-Empty and Gross weight. A bit more for the MX2

There is a lot of small differences, but it seems like the MX2 uses the same fuselage as the Giles since it started out as a Giles(modified prototype).

My question is, since the Giles is designed for a smaller(4 cyl) engine, but still uses the same fuselage, is it possible to install a MX2's stronger wing into the Giles, assuming that the chord length at the root is the same for both and that no cutting into the fuselage is necessary?
N.C. Lambrechts

ZU-CUB

Phil 4:13
F3P flyer
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: Ysterplaat
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Giles 202 vs MX2

Unread post by F3P flyer » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:39 pm

Its possible yes, the wing and moment make these two aircraft soooooo far apart in flying characteristics. I don't really like the Giles to much but having said that it is one of the funnest aircraft to fly problem is its to much fun and really only did 2 things well. Tumbeling maneuvers and loss of energy manneuvers nothing comes close. But that's that

The MX however is a more precise machine on more on point its just plain smoother. Like your more convenntional extra types, to give you an idea two guys killed them selves in the states a few years ago by adding weight into the tail to make the MX looser and. Tumble better well their last COG config was their last, they spun in flat
ACE MAN
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAKT+VHHH+FAPX
Has liked: 218 times
Been liked: 38 times

Unread post by ACE MAN » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:43 pm

AFAIK same plane except the MX2 has the bigger engine , thus slightly longer fuselage and therefore more capable.
IITYWTMWYBMAD
Nomakhanjani
¯¯VAF¯¯
lampiesJR
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: Porterville
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 25 times

Unread post by lampiesJR » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:29 am

Thanks guys. If I understand correctly, one of our Giles has crashed not too long ago. How many of these aircraft are still in SA?

L
N.C. Lambrechts

ZU-CUB

Phil 4:13
ACE MAN
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand

Unread post by ACE MAN » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:42 am

lampiesJR wrote:Thanks guys. If I understand correctly, one of our Giles has crashed not too long ago. How many of these aircraft are still in SA?

L
I think there are 2 , one operates out of FABB and one FAPM
IITYWTMWYBMAD
Nomakhanjani
¯¯VAF¯¯
Slopehead
Stressed Eric ain't got nothing on me
Closest Airfield: Howick Model Fliers Club

Unread post by Slopehead » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:00 pm

The newest Giles is based at Virginia, owned by 2014 World Intermediate Aerobatic Champ, seen here taxiing out for another routine practice
20151003_152043.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jase
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by Jase » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:59 pm

ACE MAN wrote:AFAIK same plane except the MX2 has the bigger engine , thus slightly longer fuselage and therefore more capable.
As far as I know the fuze is not longer, its the same. Just the cowl is longer to house the 6 cylinder engine, although this is what you might also mean. The Giles will have a shorter tail moment from the CG but this is because a swept back wing will have a CG that's set further back on the fuze. This also probably helps to balance the MX's heavier engine as the CG will be further fwd with the straighter LE.
ACE MAN
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand

Unread post by ACE MAN » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:21 am

Can't remember if the Twyfords had a Giles - or it could have been a Slick - Pity the CAA stopped the Avdex server
IITYWTMWYBMAD
Nomakhanjani
¯¯VAF¯¯
tbone
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: JIA
Been liked: 9 times

Unread post by tbone » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:28 am

Giles is a KIT, MX is factory built, and stronger than a Giles to handle the higher weight (G) for unlimited aero's.

Giles has a straight trailing edge, and swept leading edge, MX sweeps both, closer to a Extra 300 profile, so the centre of lift on the Giles should technically be more rearward, not possible to simply swap wings.

Giles in picture was expertly built and flown by Michel Leush,

N 88 MX crashed in France practising AWAC,and has been replaced by a Extra 330 SC

'Other' MX was destroyed in the chemical explosion in China, she was in a box with one Sbach 330 to go airshow in China.

B.
...eagles may soar but weasels dont get sucked into jet engines...

...there is no replacement for displacement...

...‘sauvage de la journée’...

...'LOSS OF SEPARATION WITH TERRAIN'....
Marty
Power off stall
Closest Airfield: FAVG
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by Marty » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:51 am

tbone wrote:Giles is a KIT, MX is factory built, and stronger than a Giles to handle the higher weight (G) for unlimited aero's.

Giles has a straight trailing edge, and swept leading edge, MX sweeps both, closer to a Extra 300 profile, so the centre of lift on the Giles should technically be more rearward, not possible to simply swap wings.

Giles in picture was expertly built and flown by Michel Leush,

N 88 MX crashed in France practising AWAC,and has been replaced by a Extra 330 SC

'Other' MX was destroyed in the chemical explosion in China, she was in a box with one Sbach 330 to go airshow in China.

B.
Just a correction the MX and Sbach were not destroyed in China

Return to “Aerobatics & Sport Flying”