Cleaning Model Glow Engines - Use of Antifreeze

Best practices and Useful tips and warnings that can save property, prevent injury and to keep our modelling safe.

Moderator: Moderators

smarter
Flight Planning
Closest Airfield: Cato Manor
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Cleaning Model Glow Engines - Use of Antifreeze

Unread post by smarter » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:35 am

I have battled with bearing removal. Turned a 'slug' on the lathe that was a tight fit in the bore of the bearing and knocked it into the bearing from the rear of the motor. Then heated the motor and used a normal punch to knock the bearing out from the front.

As far as cleaning a motor goes... a shop in Durban used to sell a tin of model engine cleaner... amazing stuff! Drop your motor in and leave for 15 mins, take motor out and rinse under water. Better than new! The shop closed down and I have never seen the stuff again... if anyone knows Barry that used to own Stick Time RC can maybe ask him where it was from. Apparently he used to by it from a chemical shop and decant it...
V5 - LEO
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: FYWH
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 33 times

Unread post by V5 - LEO » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:51 pm

smarter wrote:I have battled with bearing removal. Turned a 'slug' on the lathe that was a tight fit in the bore of the bearing and knocked it into the bearing from the rear of the motor. Then heated the motor and used a normal punch to knock the bearing out from the front.

As far as cleaning a motor goes... a shop in Durban used to sell a tin of model engine cleaner... amazing stuff! Drop your motor in and leave for 15 mins, take motor out and rinse under water. Better than new! The shop closed down and I have never seen the stuff again... if anyone knows Barry that used to own Stick Time RC can maybe ask him where it was from. Apparently he used to by it from a chemical shop and decant it...

......so did anybody got hold of Barry and found out what that / where that cleaner was purchased? :twisted: :twisted:
In God I trust. The masses are never right, the minority are sometimes right, but the truth is always right.
“One good teacher in a lifetime may sometimes change a delinquent into a solid citizen.” — Philip Wylie
cabeng
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: Rotorua -NZRO
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by cabeng » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:33 am

I have his mail adress somewhere. Ill find it and mail it
Clearly Weekends are made in china . They simply dont last !
sybrands
Ooops forgot to turn the fuel back on!
Closest Airfield: Jailbirds
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by sybrands » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:44 pm

I tried various methods of removing gunk and the usual brown crap from my engines, and the best by far is stock standard WEBER braai cleaner. Comes in a spray bottle, costs about R60 and works within seconds! Rinse with water and dry with airhose. Really stubborn stuff required a bit of brushing. Try it!
I run on diesel fumes..
Chrisvn
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Potchefstroom
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 16 times

Unread post by Chrisvn » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:00 pm

... try to get some of this ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Pushing my Inner Child to the Outer Limits ....."
"If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry."
Engine Started
Closest Airfield: FATA
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by 18436572 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:01 am

smarter wrote:As far as cleaning a motor goes... a shop in Durban used to sell a tin of model engine cleaner... amazing stuff! Drop your motor in and leave for 15 mins, take motor out and rinse under water. Better than new! The shop closed down and I have never seen the stuff again... if anyone knows Barry that used to own Stick Time RC can maybe ask him where it was from. Apparently he used to by it from a chemical shop and decant it...
It was antifreeze with a quadruple markup labelled as a miracle cleaner and marketed to the sheeple! :lol: :lol: :wink:
BAAS 'COIS
Rolling
Closest Airfield: Pretoria Radio Flyers
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Unread post by BAAS 'COIS » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:07 pm

Guys
You get NITRO Alu-brite. Can buy it from takealot or search who have it. You also get one for stailess and more. Stuff works good. Even cleaned my alu v12 engine with it.
52182976-1-zoom.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Go SLOW.... Close your eyes and take a deep breath

Return to “The Good and the Bad”