Airmanship

Best practices and Useful tips and warnings that can save property, prevent injury and to keep our modelling safe.

Moderator: Moderators

phoebus7
Hot start of aircraft
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Airmanship

Unread post by phoebus7 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:55 am

Sunday two pilots had a very different method of showing off their large planes, speed and ability.
Pilot 1 would swoop down toward the pilots and bank and yank away from the pilot zone back to the infield. This makes me nervous, if.. the pilot loses control or the model becomes uncontrollable it will end up in between the pilots or the bystanders.
Pilot 2 comes zooming in at low level on the final leg of the circuit and then banks and zooms into the infield. This was much better practice in my view. He was also a much better pilot, very little chance of crashing into the other pilots or observers.

Perhaps we can highlight some airmanship issues here.
Gravity Sucks. Thats why we fly.
Gary Lees
Hot start of aircraft
Closest Airfield: FAOR
Has liked: 3 times

Re: Airmanship

Unread post by Gary Lees » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:27 pm

Good airmanship means the the aeroplane never flys over the pit?pilot area. The aircraft NEVER flies towards the public area. Turn arounds are done at either end of the field so that if something goes wrong then the plane will pass the public area.

Low passes are always done on the far side of the operating runway and not over the runway, this is too close for safety.

Remember flying is 10% skill and 90% discipline any less leads to disaster!!!
kevinbark
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Closest Airfield: EGLC

Unread post by kevinbark » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:09 pm

\m/ <(-_-)> \m/
Last edited by kevinbark on Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TimB
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by TimB » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:35 am

Good airmanships starts with club culture. Either take safety and proficiency seriously or don;t bother because then its not worth anything.
There are excellent guidelines in the SAMAA Proficiency manual.
SAfety officers at clubs are recommended but are the most scorned people at the club.
CLubs pour scorn on pilot bays yet it provides a safety barrier for pilots when less proficient pilots are around.

A safety mindset is needed but it should still be fun.
zx dan
Airspeed active
Closest Airfield: Swartkop

Unread post by zx dan » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:44 am

I hear what you are saying. Actually the area between the runway and the pits is a no fly zone, well in my opinion anyway.
Any pilot flying in that zone should be grounded. I had an experience like that while flying once and it cost me a plane as I was watching a low level KE heading straight for me.
Imagine a 30lb plane hurling along at 100 km/h hitting you. It is not going to be funny in any way.
He who hesitates, has lost!
VCTRCtoxic

Unread post by VCTRCtoxic » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:54 pm

The fact that we need to tell people about the scenario of a plane hitting a person scares me.

I have seen first hand what you guys are talking about. It happened at my local field ( id prefer not to mention the name but its two okes and you know who you are ) that launch their planes in front of you, walk in front of you and then also fly toward the public then yank up at last minute. They even go as far as trying to catch the blimmen thing!!!!!.

Now I ask these morons, what if these planes were to hit a kid. And before answering that imagine it hitting your kid.

Come on okes, again the fact that a thread like this needs be made is scary.........
GROUNDeffected
Take off Clearance
Closest Airfield: Rand airport

Unread post by GROUNDeffected » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:05 am

I have to weigh in here because I am terrified for my own safety. I'm not an official or safety officer but I often find myself asking people to not fly over the cars parked or us it seams they love flying over people for some reason however I get extremely cross I've got two guys learning to fly who fly with me and I'll ground them for flying overhead and give them another talking to. It should not be tolerated. I've almost been hit by a few people including proficient pilots it's not fair on the rest of the people at the field. I asked one guy nicely to not fly over us I had my kid at the field and he would circuit overhead whole flight he was very upsett that I asked him that and started telling me "you see this reciever , it spektrum it will never fail " he was totally oblivious to the fact tgat any other part could fail including the actual plane not just reciever. That is ignorance and you can't teach someone about these failure points when they've got all their guns out and fighting. I hope more peopl speak out in future. After I told tgat guy he moved but then walked into the middle of the field to fly now he's in my flight line. We waited for him to Finnish then flew. But not many other courteous pilots out there especially at park flying sites.

Return to “The Good and the Bad”