charging lipos in planes

Best practices and Useful tips and warnings that can save property, prevent injury and to keep our modelling safe.

Moderator: Moderators

clivem
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: howick
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

charging lipos in planes

Unread post by clivem » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:19 pm

DONT DO IT :shock: :shock: :shock:

just spoke to a friend today, while charging a lipo for his 50cc gas ignition he noticed he was putting in 1300mah when usually it would be around 700mah for the number of flights he had had. he said to me that he just thought "oh well it must have been flatter than i thought" and turned around and walked out of the workshop and back to the house. BOOM! :smt013 :smt013 :smt013 the lipo went and set the whole plane incl gas tank on fire!!!! 50cc plane, servos, charger and everything is now dust and mangled plastic in a single waste paper basket!!
Luckily he did have a fire extinguisher and managed to save the garage and rest of everything! this is just another reminder guys - it can happen to all of us, its not just others

always place Lipos in charging bags! and not on the workbench or in a plane..
SA Agent for Flex Innovations, 3DHS , AJ Aircraft, Krill, Topmodel, GP Engines, Falcon Propellors, MTW Cannisters, Emcotec Electronics, Fromeco and Tech Aero Products

Save a plane - Fly FUTABA !!!
http://www.cmchobbies.co.za
billyboy
Rolling from unmanned
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: charging lipos in planes

Unread post by billyboy » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:56 pm

Shame glad he was able to safe the rest ,

I got myself old pirex glass bowls (oven proof) from the Auction and charge my batts in them , and use them for storing as well
T Rex 600 nitro DX8 Spektrum
T Rex 500e T Rex 450
Laser 200 50cc
1/4 scale Taylor Craft 30cc
50cc GW Sukoi SU26m Fun Star fun flyer Cesna 182
Pitts 62cc Zenoha motor.1/4 scale RV 4 26cc
PH 0741632577 Margate KZN
SYBOT
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: close
Has liked: 0

Unread post by SYBOT » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:08 pm

Old uncle Jim lost his pride, a scale heli this weekend. After being charged and put back on its hanger, the lipo exploded. Luckily his grand daughter noticed it and. ......
When he told me and showed me the photos I had to ask a few questions:
Do u charge inside or outside the heli. No, being scale it is not easy so I do it inside...........lectured him on the use of lipo charging bunkers.
Did u balance charge the bat. No it is for the rx alone. Do u know what is a hook between two cells, no. What charger are u using? Some unknown brand. eishhhh.

So I gave him a lecture, min volt per cell, max allowable diff between cells, how to fix the hook and then how to identify potential trouble , how to store them etc etc etc.
None of this he did know and he is playing with big lipo bricks. And of course, the best chargers to look for.

I'll try to get photos from him.
Toby
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.
Gary Lees
Hot start of aircraft
Closest Airfield: FAOR
Has liked: 3 times

Unread post by Gary Lees » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:32 am

Lipos need to be looked after, like children, only more dangerous.

Always balance charge Lipos and ALWAYS under supervision. After charging, allow about half an hour, then put them away.
Charge outside for added safety if you do not have Lipo bags to charge in. NEVER charge in the model.
After a weekend of flying, always STORAGE charge your Lipos and NEVER allow them to go below 3,7V per cell.

Use a good quality charger that will tell you the internal resistance. This way you can see when a cell or battery is on it's way out.

Lipos are a great source of erergy, but they must be looked after and treated with respect.

I have 2 X 6 cell 5000mAH batteries with over 200 cycles on each and they are still working at very low internal resistances (Below 3m Ohms per cell)
I also use a number of 5 cell 4400mAH batteries and again if treated properly, they will last many more flights.

Happy flying

Return to “The Good and the Bad”