Help needed on batteries(Pics added)

Best practices and Useful tips and warnings that can save property, prevent injury and to keep our modelling safe.

Moderator: Moderators

jordens
Fuelling up
Closest Airfield: Secunda
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Help needed on batteries(Pics added)

Unread post by jordens » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:23 am

I recieved a couple of batteries(secondhand) wich are a bit puffy when should I stop using them because it would be a shame to get rid of them to soon and what are the dangers to using them to long. I think ones on the left looks okay not sure about the rest. What kind of balance plug is the one in the first foto and how can I connect it to my balancer charger
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by jordens on Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vesparado
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Not saying
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 4 times

Re: Help needed on batteries

Unread post by Vesparado » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:43 am

I wouldn't chance it.
Whatever you decide,if they have to be destroyed,take them to a builders wharehuouse,builders express or any other battery repository!

Gordon
I say,Fly It like you stole it!
billyboy
Rolling from unmanned

Unread post by billyboy » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:50 pm

How puffy are they , if they are very very puffed up , place them in salt water for 2weeks but just lightly swolen is not bad

I have a couple of puffy and they are still fine , just charge then slow outside , and if they have good good volts then use them

post picks , then we can tell you , because your puff and my puff might be very very different ,,

Fly safe ,,,,,,
T Rex 600 nitro DX8 Spektrum
T Rex 500e T Rex 450
Laser 200 50cc
1/4 scale Taylor Craft 30cc
50cc GW Sukoi SU26m Fun Star fun flyer Cesna 182
Pitts 62cc Zenoha motor.1/4 scale RV 4 26cc
PH 0741632577 Margate KZN
Gary Lees
Hot start of aircraft
Closest Airfield: FAOR
Has liked: 3 times

Unread post by Gary Lees » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:39 am

If your batteries are only a LITTLE puffy, then probably no real problem. I would suggest that you discharge them on a quality charger then charge checking the internal resistance of the batteries. If the IR is above 30m Ohms per cell, the get rid of them. If it is low, below 10m Ohms per cell then you might find the puppiness will go away with cycling. A lot of Lipos do get puffed up after being used (eg. a flight in windy conditions where more throttle is used) (we finfd this after a pattern schedule flight where long verticle up lines are flown) I allow the batteries to cool off foe about 15 to 30 minutes and then charge for the next flight and the puffing goes away during the charge.
if you have any more questions or nbeed help please contact me via PM or call me on 082 566 5007.

Regards

Gary Lees
Gary Lees
Hot start of aircraft

Re: Help needed on batteries(Pics added)

Unread post by Gary Lees » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:41 am

Hello Jordens,

Thank you for you PM and sorry I can only answer you now.

To balance charge you need a charger that has the balance function. The box will contain a balance board so that the white plugs can be plugged into (Will look something like the picture below) and the discharge lead (yours are deans plugs) are also plugged in. You can then set the charger to balance charge or discharge. All the LIPO charges are programmed to discharge or charge to the correct levels. So by choosing the mode you need the charger to run will give you the charge required.

When using a LIPO people will tell you not to go below a %, but the real test is the volts per cell. On LIPOs this should not be below 3.7Volts per cell. You can check this either by connecting the charger with the balace board and looking at the cell readout or by buying a battery tester. I always start by having a 5 minute flight and then checking the battery status after that flight and then extend the flight time over a number of flights until I reach that point where I land with a little over the 3.7V per cell.
jordens
Fuelling up
Closest Airfield: Secunda

Unread post by jordens » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:16 am

Thanks Gary really appreciate the help what do you think about the battery pics I added there are 3 that I think is very puffy the other ones look okay I have a balance board but it only has connection for the single type balance connection and the one battery that is not puffy at all but it has two balance plugs is there a adapter or something I can use.
Gary Lees
Hot start of aircraft

Unread post by Gary Lees » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:28 am

jordens wrote:Thanks Gary really appreciate the help what do you think about the battery pics I added there are 3 that I think is very puffy the other ones look okay I have a balance board but it only has connection for the single type balance connection and the one battery that is not puffy at all but it has two balance plugs is there a adapter or something I can use.
Hi Jordens,

I would suggest taking that battery to you Local Hobby Store and see what balance boards he has that will fit that double plug. The thunder Power 6 and mor cell batteries also have a double plug, so there should be one.

Return to “The Good and the Bad”