Name and Shame

Best practices and Useful tips and warnings that can save property, prevent injury and to keep our modelling safe.

Moderator: Moderators

Thys Stoman
Tripped over wheel chock
Closest Airfield: Helderberg
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Name and Shame

Unread post by Thys Stoman » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:31 am

Hi Guys

It took me a while to decide to finally make this post as i believe that other people should not have to make the same mistakes that I have made.

Now please bare in mind that the reason for this post is not to start a turf war between supporters of different hobby shops but rather to let new comers to the sport know what to look out for and voice my frustration with Clowns Hobbies

I have recently started flying again after many years and decided to pay a visit to Clowns Hobbies in Milnerton (Dont even get me started on the Belleville store because its either closed or you walk in there and you get the idea that the old man sitting behind the counter doesn't really have time for you and that you must do what you came here to do and GTFO sometimes you walk around in the shop for 5 mins without him even asking you if there is something he can help you with and i have personaly told Wessie this.) Anyways here I am at Milnerton branch to get some advice on servos for a new plane i am building and perhaps buy servos should i find what i am looking for and upon my asking Wessie showed me these new Savox 9 KG servos which was apparently the best thing since sliced white bread as these guys are the guys that make all the servos for JR and Spektrum and they really know their stuff and a steal at only 600 bucks a piece apparently much cheaper than the equivalent JR and Hi-Tech servos which ever so conveniently he did not have in stock,i also bought a few other items such as a starter and a covering iron and some nuts and bolts and some extension leads and for every question i had Wessie seemed to have an answer and an equally good and expensive product which he kept adding to my pile without even giving me a price before hand , and that when it hit me that that this guy is milking me and that he isn't going to give only what i need instead he is going to try and sell me as much crap as i am willing to pay for,he even tried selling me a 3500ma life battery for close to 800 bucks,wtf? (by the way i baught the same battery the very next day from another shop for less that 350 bucks)

Anyhows i spoke to a couple of people over the weekend regarding my newly acquired Savox servos and how these things are suppose to be so good and the more I talked the more i realized he has taken me for a fat ride,yes they are good but it was way overkill for what I needed it for and yes he was aware of it as i told him what the application was and secondly for 600 bucks a pop it was way way way more expensive than even a better stronger Hi Tech servo.

Bottom line is that i cant really be cross with old Wessie as he never held a gun to my head and made me buy the stuff however I am extremely disappointed as I went to him for advice and i trusted him to give me sound advice on what i will need buy and not exploit that fact that i did not know any better and had to ask for advice.
Now there is nothing wrong with the servos so i cant really return them and besides i have already used them but for this reason I WILL NEVER AGAIN IN MY ENTIRE LIFE support his establishment again.

So to anyone who is new to the sport and thinking of paying him a a visit be careful,ask around and know what you are buying and know the going rate for these items because he sees you coming from a mile away and he will milk you for as much as he get out of you and i think its high time that someone speaks up about this because in the few moths that i have been flying i have come across more than one person who has been taken for a ride by Clowns Hobbies.

Please note that this post is not paid for by any political party. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Thys Stoman on Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
40 stick
120 Ultra Stick
60 Extra 300
Spektrum DX8
2011 Model Jack Russell.
Hennie vd Walt
Lining Up
Closest Airfield: Herderberg

Re: Clowns Hobbies Name and Shame

Unread post by Hennie vd Walt » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:45 pm

Thys is a mate of mine and he is also my fly-buddy, and I stand by my friends and if they get donnered i will step in and donner back
this freaks me out ....there is quite a few of us that started this hobbie a year ago and even up to a few weeks ago we all know each other...... and if one guy gets ripped off we all talk...... i also had a few short comings with bad private deals mostly my own stupidity I was warned a few times in advance by my brother from another mother "not named" this is bull k@k
so i rather get in to my van and drive to my mate in somerset west where you get good good advice .....
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Hennie vd Walt
stephen.
Mags Dead Cut

Unread post by stephen. » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:36 am

HEY ALL

I have been flying for about 4 to 5 years now and i too bought my first plane from Clowns Hobbies and actually all 5 of my current planes are from Wessie too.
I too spent alot of money when i started not knowing better and i too tried the cheaper route buying online etc etc.
well 4 or 5 years later and all my cheaper online planes have been lost in the river or into the trees etc etc
The planes and equipment i bought at Clowns Hobbies are still flying or lying in my spare room waiting to be finnished.

I learned very quickly [and this lesson actually cost me a fortune], this hobby/sport is not only about the bottom line, its about building relationships!
and that is especially true when you are learning, you need to be able to go to your local shop and get advice.
that is why my online planes are all lost, it was trial and error, buying the incorrect servers that broke in a loop due to too much load, or being advised which planes i should buy OR NOT BUY for my current level of skill....
that help and information you wont get from an online shop, but you will get from Wessie.
i am a member of tygerberg model flying club and there are many options and people i can ask for assistance but to be honest, the best advice and help i have ever got was from Wessi.
he even helped me with a couple planes i had bought online but never came with the instructions. he never once said to me, sorry but that is not my product.
You will only get help and advice like that from someone/people you have built a relationship with and that is worth more than saving R200/server.

just the other day i took my heli in which i had crashed cos i am new to heli's, my radio was on the blink and he just gave me a new one, said its an early birthday gift....
you wont get that from buying cheap online.

yes 5 years on, i have learned alot and grown as an enthusiast, i will be the first to admit i dont buy everything from Wessi, but i still do support him and would never bad mouth him.
in time you will learn what you can buy "cheap" and what needs to be "quality products", wessi may be expensive and you may have paid a bit more for your servos, but those servos wont break and cost you a plane [something that happened to me on a few occasions]
he was there when i needed help, even with other products and yes he is in it to make money but i dont mind paying a bit more cos his help and assistance when i need it is invaluable!

hope that helps
stephen Cakebread

ps: i have been registered here for a number of years, i login every day to check whats going on but this is the first time i felt i "had to" have my say
danie.e
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: Henley
Been liked: 18 times

Unread post by danie.e » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:05 pm

As a Hobby goods importer and distributor, I have had business dealings with Wessie for a number of years now (not really counting) and at all times has the relationship been friendly, professional AND I have never had to wait for payment of any goods purchased.

We have sometimes spent up to 40 minutes talking about the hobby on the phone and never once did I get the impression that Wessie would deliberately do in a customer for financial gain. I also believe that had it been his method of business, he would not have survived all the years that I have known him.

There are always three sides to a story: The two parties each has a story and then the truth. I think that we all tend to jump to conclusions too quickly and it is always the Hobby shop owner that gets the bad image.

Strange that we never see a post about BAD CUSTOMERS - and I can promise one and all, there are MANY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
Danie.e
Don't just stik it, Drastik it
S.A. Agent for ASP Engines, CY Models, King Max servos and Amass servo leads. Reseller of RCGF Petrol engines, Smartfly powerboxes, SkyRC Chargers and Power Supplies - http://www.aspaviation.co.za
Thys Stoman
Tripped over wheel chock
Closest Airfield: Helderberg

Unread post by Thys Stoman » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:10 pm

As per my previous post it is not my intention to start a turf war between supporters however i felt that i needed to voice my frustration as i have spoken to a lot of people who have had a run in with clowns hobbies and came out the other side just feeling WTF.

Its not about the paying a bit extra for a good product its about him knowing exactly what I needed and him selling me something that he must have known was way overkill for the application and thus the high price and the plane will probably fly great with the servos and who knows maybe one day ill thank him but for now i am truly disappointed in knowing that he led me to believe that these where the servos that i needed where as in actual fact he could have sold me a much cheaper servos that would have done the same job but he didn't have stock so that's why he sold me these that where supposedly cheaper.But i also suppose its my fault for not doing my homework and also for putting my trust in a salesman..I honestly feel that he took advantage of me because i didn't know any better.As far as the bit more expensive goes....then we must not be paying the same prices cos he is A LOT more expensive.

So in short this is about the fact that i feel betrayed by him because i trusted him only to find out later that he actually sold me something i did not need.

Any hows i have written it off as school fees and boy did i get a good lesson i def wont make that mistake again.

I know these are ruff times but if that's the way you do business then i def wont support you. [-X [-X

And i know Wessie has to be on Avcom and he must have seen this or got word off it by now and if he reads this the i have only one thing to say....SHAME ON YOU for tricking someone who trusted you and this for financial gain.....shame on you.

But we live in a free country supposedly so everyone is welcome to make up their own minds...this was just my experience and i felt that i needed to share it with everyone.
40 stick
120 Ultra Stick
60 Extra 300
Spektrum DX8
2011 Model Jack Russell.
Hennie vd Walt
Lining Up
Closest Airfield: Herderberg

Re: Name and Shame

Unread post by Hennie vd Walt » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:56 pm

stephen.

not a good track record in my opinion or you realy realy realy just like to read the threads.............
Thys opened up a serious can of worms here........... let me better not say no more in the name of flying..... because if I say what I want to say the <<moderated - language>>'s gona hit the fan big time...........
I have spent about R100K on planes and the hobbie this year I will support my favorite hobbie shop that I choose PRONTO
its my choice and that is that KLAAR GE PRAAT :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Hennie vd Walt
colbrin
Flight Planning

Unread post by colbrin » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:47 am

Ek was ook al 'n paar keer by Wessie in die winkel, maar het geen idee gekry dat hy my probeer melk nie. Ek kom glad nie op vir Wessie nie, maar ek het ook al te goedkoop servo's en te duur servo's gekoop vir 'n vliegtuig. Maar ek is liewers kwaad oor te duur servos as wat ek is oor 'n vliegtuig wat ek verloor agv swak servo's. So da is altyd seker 2 vrae, wat het jy nodig en wat is jy bereid om te spandeer. Miskien moet Wessie ook sy kant stel.
Drastick 55cc DLE
PilotRC Yak 33cc Mintor
Advance 32e
Pulse 32e
Radian Glider
450 Heli(Still looking for a pilot)
Spektrum DX8
rudolphschar
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: Howick
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by rudolphschar » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:17 am

Just as I will always support people who give me good service, I like to speak out about not so good service.

I ordered something from them last week and the service has in my mind been not what I expected.

I phoned about a part, which was in stock. Wessie said I should send an email with the details of what I needed. I did that on Thursday afternoon. Friday afternoon I again emailed and asked for the quote as I need it quite urgently. On Saturday morning I received a short 2-line email with the price. No official quote. I immediately did the payment and sent the proof of payment through. Yesterday I phoned to make sure the email went through. Wessie said it did and he will post the package just now. I still did not receive a tracking number. I made it clear that I need the stuff quite as soon as possible.

I am not a "kermgat" who complains about everything and I understand I am not their only customer, but I don't like to get the feeling a business is doing me an enormous favour by selling me something. This is exactly the feeling I have at the moment.
Rudolph Scharneck

SF-25 Motorfalke, GPL
The problem is not the problem, the problem is your attitude about the problem.
kalahari
Power off stall

Unread post by kalahari » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:11 pm

the good part is: I rather use a servo that is way better and stronger than what is specified. I have lost a plane due to what was needed on the box. the servos are working on max and thats no good
I may be crazy BUT crazy was never stupid

Return to “The Good and the Bad”