Ready to fly kits

Best practices and Useful tips and warnings that can save property, prevent injury and to keep our modelling safe.

Moderator: Moderators

Dual
Avionics Master On
Closest Airfield: Cape Town
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

Ready to fly kits

Unread post by Dual » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:57 am

With a RTF plane, it's usually a complete kit, transmitter, receivers, etc, all ready to fly
My question? Are the transmitter radio up to standard?
Should one buy a more reliable transmitter from the start?
Hennie vd Walt
Lining Up
Closest Airfield: Herderberg
Been liked: 0

Re: Ready to fly kits

Unread post by Hennie vd Walt » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:48 pm

most RTF kits come with a cheapy TX I personally don't like them. i bought a sky climber recently and when i got home i took the radio and receiver out and got rid of it.
I think if you are serious about flying you get yourself a decent radio from the start.
I bought a 46 trainer a year ago and was advised by a fellow fly mate to get a good radio he showed me his Aurora 9 and i was hooked I got one that same week
never had a single regret
:D :D :D :D :D :D
Hennie vd Walt
Dual
Avionics Master On

Unread post by Dual » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:51 am

Got myself the Spektrum DX6i
Weather now not good enough for practice
Time will tell
Dual
Avionics Master On

Unread post by Dual » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:04 pm

Solo today with new Apprentice

jlr
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by jlr » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:43 am

Nice landing for a solo!
:lol:
"Gravity never loses. The best you can hope for is a draw."
Ricoby
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: Lephalale Airport
Has liked: 1 time

Unread post by Ricoby » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:05 pm

Many people fly with the radios that come with the ST kits. Seems to be decent enough for basic 4 channel. Never seen one pack up.
A member of Umbila Radio Flyers, Springs.
SAMAA Number: 12874
RC Pilot Yak 54 111cc DLE
Goldwing Ultimate EME 60cc
3D Hobbyshop Edge 540 RCGF 30cc
Sebart Sukhoi RCGF 32cc
ubermarklar
Lining Up
Closest Airfield: RJFF

Unread post by ubermarklar » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:21 am

I've had a transmitter from a RTF kit fail on me. Admittedly it wasn't flying the model I got it with but I doubt that makes a difference. Luckily the model landed itself in soft sand.
I lost my favorite plane, a scale 1.4m span P51 due to a radio malfunction (not an RTF radio but an el-cheapo one).
I now fly Futaba ONLY. Getting a good transmitter is totally worth it when you consider the risk involved in losing a model or worse, having it become an uncontrollable liability near people and property, by chancing it with a cheap (or free) one.
Dylan Lawson Brown NPL RPL
Trex600
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand

Unread post by Trex600 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:14 am

I am very surprised that ICASA has not stopped retaillers from selling these radios (RTF planes/heli's) that are NOT ICASA approved. I am sure they are working on it but will take time if they are......Just another government department :twisted: :twisted:
Align Trex600's, Nitro, O.S.Max, Petrol Motor's Only DLE 30-55-111-120, Mintor38cc. Gold Wing 100cc Edge 540T, 100% JR XG11, No Contest,No Regrets. Build,Fly,Have fun.
danie.e
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: Henley
Been liked: 18 times

Unread post by danie.e » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:48 pm

No problem with the equipment, it works but unfortunately there is no after sales product support. you cannot buy new receivers and if the radio packs up you have to throw it away. There are literally thousands of these TX lying around in hobby rooms etc. that are of no vaklue to no-one
Danie.e
Don't just stik it, Drastik it
S.A. Agent for ASP Engines, CY Models, King Max servos and Amass servo leads. Reseller of RCGF Petrol engines, Smartfly powerboxes, SkyRC Chargers and Power Supplies - http://www.aspaviation.co.za
clivem
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: howick
Has liked: 5 times

Unread post by clivem » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:20 pm

danie.e wrote:No problem with the equipment, it works but unfortunately there is no after sales product support. you cannot buy new receivers and if the radio packs up you have to throw it away. There are literally thousands of these TX lying around in hobby rooms etc. that are of no vaklue to no-one
Danie - i know you and i will differ on this - they have no value to anyone cause they aren't great. if they were any good they would have value. they are fine for a 'toy' and will work, but dont count on them being reliable and last forever.
I have seen them work flawlessly so if you are trying the hobby out, it may be an option but if you decide the hobby is for you, get something decent. I have had one of these units myself ( and it was an FHSS compatible one to make matters worse! ) that worked but on the first flight i was battling with the elevator control, plane seemed twitchy and sometimes unresponsive, we landed and checked it over - slowly pulling on the elevator stick made the elevator step in little steps like it had notches. straight away we thought servo! change that and same issue......... changed the tx and rx to a decent radio and wallah! problem was gone, even when putting the original servo back. Poor resolution, poor signal i don't know, but have never used the radio again.
SA Agent for Flex Innovations, 3DHS , AJ Aircraft, Krill, Topmodel, GP Engines, Falcon Propellors, MTW Cannisters, Emcotec Electronics, Fromeco and Tech Aero Products

Save a plane - Fly FUTABA !!!
http://www.cmchobbies.co.za

Return to “The Good and the Bad”