Graaff-Reinet Airfield - Eastern Cape

Information regarding aviation friendly destinations and airfields.

Moderator: Moderators

Graaff-Reinet Info
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Graaff-Reinet Airfield - Eastern Cape

Unread post by Graaff-Reinet Info » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:46 am

Graaff-Reinet in the Eastern Cape is an ideal fly-in destination

Graaff-Reinet has a lot to offer visitors - Most importantly the airport has a tarred runway & AVGAS for refueling - for more informaton phone Dan Davies - 072 335 2231

There are numerous guests houses situated in the town & many farms in the area also offer accommodation - For more information on where to stay visit http://www.graaffreinet.co.za

Avis Rent A car is also available & will pick up guests from the airport & drop them back at the airport - for more information phone 081 575 3074 or email graaffreinet@avis.co.za

What to see & do in the area

I'll recommend the following Top 5 Tourist Attractions

1.The Valley of Desolation, a geological wonder of weathered dolerite pillars with magnificent views over the Karoo plains has also been declared a national monument.
2.The Camdeboo National Park of 19 000 ha, on the outskirts of the town with its interesting flora and fauna - spot numerous kudu.
3.Reinet House Museum - a Cape Dutch building, formerly the Dutch Reformed Church parsonage - and other important Karoo architecture sites.
4.The Dutch Reformed Church in the centre of the town is a prominent stone building in the high street with seating for more than 1000 people.
5. Visit the quaint towns of Nieu-Bethesda & Aberdeen - both less than 60km away from Graaff-Reinet

For more information on what to see & do in the area visit http://www.camdeboocottages.co.za/index ... ings-to-do
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KZNChris
Frequent AvComer
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 12 times

Re: Graaff-Reinet Airfield - Eastern Cape

Unread post by KZNChris » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:22 am

Graaff-Reinet Info wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:46 am
Graaff-Reinet in the Eastern Cape is an ideal fly-in destination

Graaff-Reinet has a lot to offer visitors - Most importantly the airport has a tarred runway & AVGAS for refueling - for more informaton phone Dan Davies - 072 335 2231

There are numerous guests houses situated in the town & many farms in the area also offer accommodation - For more information on where to stay visit http://www.graaffreinet.co.za

Avis Rent A car is also available & will pick up guests from the airport & drop them back at the airport - for more information phone 081 575 3074 or email graaffreinet@avis.co.za

What to see & do in the area

I'll recommend the following Top 5 Tourist Attractions

1.The Valley of Desolation, a geological wonder of weathered dolerite pillars with magnificent views over the Karoo plains has also been declared a national monument.
2.The Camdeboo National Park of 19 000 ha, on the outskirts of the town with its interesting flora and fauna - spot numerous kudu.
3.Reinet House Museum - a Cape Dutch building, formerly the Dutch Reformed Church parsonage - and other important Karoo architecture sites.
4.The Dutch Reformed Church in the centre of the town is a prominent stone building in the high street with seating for more than 1000 people.
5. Visit the quaint towns of Nieu-Bethesda & Aberdeen - both less than 60km away from Graaff-Reinet

For more information on what to see & do in the area visit http://www.camdeboocottages.co.za/index ... ings-to-do
Free bump ( with some extra exposure -- to make up for the lack of fuel at the municipality run airfield )

http://www.flykaroo.co.za/
CDW1
Priming
Closest Airfield: Mosselbay
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 8 times

Unread post by CDW1 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:52 am

What about safety and security at the airfield? Is overnight hangar available?
Jabiru 430 ZU-???
Deneys.Potgieter
Priming
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by Deneys.Potgieter » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:09 am

CDW1 = I suggest you contact Dan Davis direct - mobile number printed above. I was there some years ago, experienced safe parking on the apron for a couple of nights.
Keep them level
ATC Delay
Closest Airfield: Saldanha West Coast
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Keep them level » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:23 am

The above inland Graaff-Reinet airstrip was one of my routes planned between west coast and east coast due to possible coastal inclement weather.
I have not as yet flown there.
November last year I chatted with a Mr PA Davis ( Davies ?.) who then included Marius Dogh to assist at the time, if he was not available.
One caution item previously noted in the Airfields Directory for SA was: Caution: ostrich feeding pens on APP rwy 20, use R.H circuit.
I was informed the ostrich pens no longer exist and therefore no caution pertaining to this, exists.

The above airstrip is still in my plans....
Raven ZU-FBL
KZNChris
Frequent AvComer
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 12 times

Unread post by KZNChris » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:40 am

Another free bump -- and -- some fotis and dialogue

Oom Charles Maasdorp

Graaff-Reinet has a living legend called Charles Maasdorp who, in his four-score-plus years, still goes for extended flips over the Karoo Heartland in his little Cessna 150 Aerobat. The local veld telegraph told me that Charles was in the habit of delivering a Sunday paper to his daughter Marion at Wellwood farm deep in the Sneeuberg mountains – by air.

https://www.countrylife.co.za/travel/ra ... aff-reinet

Return to “Destinations”