Hunting Destinations

Information regarding aviation friendly destinations and airfields.

Moderator: Moderators

Marius Schrenk
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Closest Airfield: 300m from home
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 59 times

Re: Hunting Destinations

Unread post by Marius Schrenk » Tue May 09, 2017 7:50 pm

DaveJ wrote:Different strokes for different folks.
Guys believe rhino horns make them virile, elephant tusks look great on the mantle, shark finning for soup, pangolin scales for medicine and wholsale slaughter of dolphins in a Japanese bay because they eat the fishermans daily bread.
Just where does an individual draw the line? Personal taste I suppose.

Sure shooting for biltong is Ok, just not convinced the biltong is more enjoyable than the hunt.
I see pics of Dads proundly showinng pics of their sons with a bloody animal corpse around their necks.
Sorry doesn't do it for me.
I do believe in the long term some animals will only survive if farmed. To do that requires revenue and and most of that will come from hunting.
Bit if a catch 22.
Anyway guys, no offense meant and lets go back to aviation.
Enjoy your flight though I think the biltong will cost more than the preverbial R1000 hamburger. :D
=D> =D> You are right hunting is much more than meat. :idea: and you pay for it.
Politics attracts crooks and lawyers,most of the time its the same person.
apollo11
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGM
Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 41 times

Unread post by apollo11 » Tue May 09, 2017 10:33 pm

DaveJ wrote:Different strokes for different folks.
Guys believe rhino horns make them virile, elephant tusks look great on the mantle, shark finning for soup, pangolin scales for medicine and wholsale slaughter of dolphins in a Japanese bay because they eat the fishermans daily bread.
Just where does an individual draw the line? Personal taste I suppose.

Sure shooting for biltong is Ok, just not convinced the biltong is more enjoyable than the hunt.
I see pics of Dads proundly showinng pics of their sons with a bloody animal corpse around their necks.
Sorry doesn't do it for me.
I do believe in the long term some animals will only survive if farmed. To do that requires revenue and and most of that will come from hunting.
Bit if a catch 22.
Anyway guys, no offense meant and lets go back to aviation.
Enjoy your flight though I think the biltong will cost more than the preverbial R1000 hamburger. :D
I agree with you Dave, never understood what joy a person gets out of killing creatures that cannot shoot back, enough killing in this fuc@$ing world as it is. My dad always said humans should have been given Mars, Earth was too good.
As you say lets get on with aviation as folk that say it's to get food and to make money are fooling themselves, they should look carefully in the mirror and admit they enjoy the lust of easy killing and they will not change in a hurry. :cry:
Straighten up and fly right!
Perry
Rooster
Airborne from Unmanned field
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 14 times

Unread post by Rooster » Wed May 10, 2017 5:59 am

You can come to my place. Rexfield in Easyplan. Also see destinations on avcom.
http://www.sparklingforest.co.za
Airfield right here. Other accommodation for overflow from here is in the village.
http://www.thomasriver.com
Your Family stopped over here for fuel en route from Wavecrest one bad weather day.
Pm me your email address and I'll forward you a price list and answer more questions if you have any.
There is also a pick & pay down the road, should you need one! :D
Reid.
If a dog is grinning, it may not be happy!
TikkaT3
Paying Landing Fees
Closest Airfield: Potchefstroom
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by TikkaT3 » Wed May 10, 2017 8:15 am

Thanks Rooster, I've checked it out it's a bit far from the Highveld for such a short trip, but it looks really nice and would like to spend quite a bit more time there!

I think you summed it up nicely on your website:

"Hunting: We are re-introducing the game that once roamed the Bontebok Flats, part of the "Save the Oribi Scheme" We are attempting to re-introduce all the fauna which used to roam the Bontebok Flats with the exception of lion. (Our sheep would not approve!!)

Controlled culling of excess animals takes place to finance the introduction of more species, which include the threatened Oribi, which are breeding well."

To the armchair conservationists:

This is what you don't get, if the game doesn't pay, the farmer that makes a living off his land will clear the land and plant crops, end of story. Photo safari's don't keep farms running, crops or hunting do, factually all of Limpopo province's game farms are hunting farms. If hunting didn't pay, they would be mealie-lands and only the few reserves such as Kruger would exist.

This weekend will cost me R30k (and around R100k for our group) that goes towards the farmer who uses the money to breed game and upkeep his fences and make a living so that he doesn't need to raze everything to plant crops. Vicious circle, yes. Does it ensure the game species' existence? Yes. What's your contribution?
Cessna 182
coline
Steep Turn Right
Closest Airfield: FASI
Been liked: 8 times

Unread post by coline » Wed May 10, 2017 8:54 am

Why pick on poor innocent animals - go for politicians!
apollo11
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by apollo11 » Wed May 10, 2017 9:03 am

Well therein lies the problem in the first place, if humans let live and never interfered in the first place we would not be in the catch 22 quandary. It is humans, man that has caused the problem, not nature.

My contribution? Respect and let live for these special creatures, that is ALL the contribution we are supposed to give. and I do support the WWF and a few other bodies.

The old saying "shoot nothing but photographs leave nothing but footprints."

To quietly for example observe a magnificent elephant or a elegant buck in the wild is a fantastic thing, to see the animals shot up with ass@%oles posing with their great big rifles and the dead animal now no longer, thinking they are like apparent special forces which they are nowhere near not (they fight the very good fight) is sickening.

I have no qualm with folk that live in really tough environments like certain parts of Alaska and Northern Canada that need to hunt for their food to survive, I get that, and the respect for nature that many of the people that say a little ancient prayer that it's not personal but for survival every time they hunt. But the modern man living in a modern society?

Yeah it's a round and round argument but lets face it, man is the weakest link, and we are the ones destroying the planet and unfortunately just too many others that don't give a toss.
It will come back to bite us already is and I'm really not sure what the future generations will inherit, my guess is pretty much not much with plenty of chaos. All self induced.
Perry
Rooster
Airborne from Unmanned field
Been liked: 14 times

Unread post by Rooster » Wed May 10, 2017 9:45 am

coline wrote:Why pick on poor innocent animals - go for politicians!

Nobody wants to mount a politician!!
If a dog is grinning, it may not be happy!
TikkaT3
Paying Landing Fees

Unread post by TikkaT3 » Wed May 10, 2017 10:23 am

apollo11 wrote:

My contribution? Respect and let live for these special creatures, that is ALL the contribution we are supposed to give. and I do support the WWF and a few other bodies.
So nothing then.
Cessna 182
apollo11
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by apollo11 » Wed May 10, 2017 11:21 am

No, everything mate! We will agree to disagree. Careful go , mother nature gets even, sooner or later.
Perry
TikkaT3
Paying Landing Fees

Unread post by TikkaT3 » Wed May 10, 2017 11:23 am

apollo11 wrote:No, everything mate! We will agree to disagree. Careful go , mother nature gets even, sooner or later.
So does Darwin. Cheers.
Cessna 182
C Africa
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: Wonderboom
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 28 times

Unread post by C Africa » Wed May 10, 2017 12:42 pm

apollo11 wrote:Well therein lies the problem in the first place, if humans let live and never interfered in the first place we would not be in the catch 22 quandary. It is humans, man that has caused the problem, not nature.

The old saying "shoot nothing but photographs leave nothing but footprints."

To quietly for example observe a magnificent elephant or a elegant buck in the wild is a fantastic thing, to see the animals shot up with ass@%oles posing with their great big rifles and the dead animal now no longer, thinking they are like apparent special forces which they are nowhere near not (they fight the very good fight) is sickening.

I have no qualm with folk that live in really tough environments like certain parts of Alaska and Northern Canada that need to hunt for their food to survive, I get that, and the respect for nature that many of the people that say a little ancient prayer that it's not personal but for survival every time they hunt. But the modern man living in a modern society?

Yeah it's a round and round argument but lets face it, man is the weakest link, and we are the ones destroying the planet and unfortunately just too many others that don't give a toss.
It will come back to bite us already is and I'm really not sure what the future generations will inherit, my guess is pretty much not much with plenty of chaos. All self induced.
Let me give you some facts. Up to the late 1950's, Commercial hunting was illegal in this country. In 1954 the government did an audit of game animals and concluded that there were less than 800 000 left in the country (outside national parks).

The law with regard to game ownership was changed, the hunting industry took off and the effect? By 2007 it was estimated that there are now in excess of 18 million game animals in the country and the total area under private game management is more than 4 times the size of all the national parks put together. ALL PAID FOR BY HUNTERS. So that's what we contributed, what did you contribute?

Oh, and by the way, those 18 million game animal breed EVERY year and there isn't any more space for more animals so ALL the growth has to be removed every year to keep numbers within capacity PLUS someone has to PAY the farmer not to switch to farming with something else, that's what we hunters do.

C
Winchman
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: Stellenbosch
Been liked: 20 times

Unread post by Winchman » Wed May 10, 2017 12:57 pm

Diepe airstrip.jpg
DSC_4275a.jpg
DSC_4323.jpg
DSC_4423.jpg
DSC_4435.jpg
DSC_4443.jpg
DSC_4480.jpg
DSC_4501.jpg
DSC_4496.jpg
DSC_4509.jpg
[attachment=9]I fully acknowledge that everyone is entitled to their opinion but when that opinion is based on assumptions, generalisations and conveniently overlooking certain fundamental truths I have a problem accepting such a position.

I hunt and very happily so but just to be clear I am completely against unethical, unsustainable and inhumane hunting practices. I also do not hunt for any purpose other than to put food on the table in a manner which celebrates man's inner hunter (yes, we were first hunter, gatherers) and the wonderful Bounty that God has provided from which we can take while recognising and enjoying all that is good and beautiful about nature, the Creation, good company and the feeling of being a real provider. By providing for your table and those that share it in a way that breaks away even for just a moment from the consumerist lifestyle that we all, except for a very small few live.

I find the sort of typically self comforting anti-hunting sentiments such as these really irritating, misleading and ill-informed, coming from comsumer orientated folk who are quite happy with their steak or lamb chops or roast chicken, or ready peeled onions,grated cheese and pathetically identical tomatoes and apples bought in profit driven chain stores after having had their growth and development whether in the womb or in the ground and after monitored, manipulated and profit optimised to satisfy the CFO and the board.
You do know that in order to provide that steak or chop or drumstick and animal died, and there was blood, and that piece of meat did not start it's existence in cling wrap the moment it was loaded onto a shelf under flourescent lights by a man in a white coat? Was that life worth less than that of the noble game to which you refer? Can they shoot back any more against the slaughterer's gun or knife than the antelope against the rifle?

On the other hand, if you are a nuts and lentils munching, bicycle peddling vegan who wears underwear that you have crocheted from flax or hemp grown in the veggie garden that is fertilised from your toilet, I most humbly apologies. If you refuse to wear leather and are certain that nothing in your home is animal derived then your footprint on this planet is far smaller and much more justifiable than mine.

However if this is not the case, then I do not believe that you have the right to judge the ethical hunter. Join me for sure in condemning the shooter of canned lions (he is not a hunter), The hunter of trophies who is ticking off a list from Elephant and lion to Dik-Dik just because he needs to prove that he is actually well endowed (I am not condemning those who mount a trophy of something shot for the pot, but the single minded pursuit of an animal solely for the purpose of mounting it).

I hunted a year and a bit back in the kalahari. A mate and I flew there from Stellenbosch in his Senecca and landed on a strip on the farm next to the house. It is not a commercial hunting destination but the private farm of a family who use it to raise a few cattle and enjoy the environment and everything it offers on weekends away from their city based business. I was privileged to be invited along for a few days and when I say privileged I mean that in every sense of the word.

I shot my Gemsbok on day 1 and was quite content to spend the rest of the time enjoying the experience and the surroundings with the rest of the group, photographing the experience. I could have shot more as I was not bound by a budget as we shot for free. no charge. But I was satisfied with my one animal and that beautiful animal provided the most wonderful, completely organic meat for many months thereafter. Nobody got drunk, no faces were smeared with blood and no raw testicles were eaten to prove our manhood. It was just a special time with good company in a wonderful setting.

And yes it was a complete experience combining the wonderful outdoors with aviation in the best possible way.

I include a few photographs of that experience, and yes there is a picture of me with the Gemsbok that I shot but not for the sake of proving my testicular diameter, but it was rather taken as a memento of a special experience and to immortalise the animal that provided that experience and the meals that followed. In the moment that that picture was taken, there was no bravado but I was filled with emotion and respect for the life that I had taken.

Killing your own food gives you a respect for it that is impossible to achieve any other way and I think if more people did so, there would be less wastage and thus less need for intensive farming and therefore less environmental impact and of course less need for the often cruel death of slaughter animals who die knowing they are going to die after hours of stress leading up to it. Unlike my Gemsbok, who died with a blade of grass between his teeth, literrally moments after having been disturbed from his browsing.

But as I said, if you use zero animal derived products, then please, feel free to educate the rest of us primitive beings. But if you simply prefer not to kill, don't judge those of us that are prepared to take responsibility for the death of what we eat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Winchman on Wed May 10, 2017 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users liked the author Winchman for the post:
WILDTHING
Stuart Burgess
Fairchild UC61K in rebuild. Hanger 17 Stellenbosch
E816
Reaching altitude
Closest Airfield: FAKR
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 13 times

Unread post by E816 » Wed May 10, 2017 1:10 pm

Winchman wrote:Diepe airstrip.jpgDSC_4275a.jpgDSC_4323.jpgDSC_4423.jpgDSC_4435.jpgDSC_4443.jpgDSC_4480.jpgDSC_4501.jpgDSC_4496.jpgDSC_4509.jpg[attachment=9]I fully acknowledge that everyone is entitled to their opinion but when that opinion is based on assumptions, generalisations and conveniently overlooking certain fundamental truths I have a problem accepting such a position.

I hunt and very happily so but just to be clear I am completely against unethical, unsustainable and inhumane hunting practices. I also do not hunt for any purpose other than to put food on the table in a manner which celebrates man's inner hunter (yes, we were first hunter, gatherers) and the wonderful Bounty that God has provided from which we can take while recognising and enjoying all that is good and beautiful about nature, the Creation, good company and the feeling of being a real provider. By providing for your table and those that share it in a way that breaks away even for just a moment from the consumerist lifestyle that we all, except for a very small few live.

I find the sort of typically self comforting anti-hunting sentiments such as these really irritating, misleading and ill-informed, coming from comsumer orientated folk who are quite happy with their steak or lamb chops or roast chicken, or ready peeled onions,grated cheese and pathetically identical tomatoes and apples bought in profit driven chain stores after having had their growth and development whether in the womb or in the ground and after monitored, manipulated and profit optimised to satisfy the CFO and the board.
You do know that in order to provide that steak or chop or drumstick and animal died, and there was blood, and that piece of meat did not start it's existence in cling wrap the moment it was loaded onto a shelf under flourescent lights by a man in a white coat? Was that life worth less than that of the noble game to which you refer? Can they shoot back any more against the slaughterer's gun or knife than the antelope against the rifle?

On the other hand, if you are a nuts and lentils munching, bicycle peddling vegan who wears underwear that you have crocheted from flax or hemp grown in the veggie garden that is fertilised from your toilet, I most humbly apologies. If you refuse to wear leather and are certain that nothing in your home is animal derived then your footprint on this planet is far smaller and much more justifiable than mine.

However if this is not the case, then I do not believe that you have the right to judge the ethical hunter. Join me for sure in condemning the shooter of canned lions (he is not a hunter), The hunter of trophies who is ticking off a list from Elephant and lion to Dik-Dik just because he needs to prove that he is actually well endowed (I am not condemning those who mount a trophy of something shot for the pot, but the single minded pursuit of an animal solely for the purpose of mounting it).

I hunted a year and a bit back in the kalahari. A mate and I flew there from Stellenbosch in his Senecca and landed on a strip on the farm next to the house. It is not a commercial hunting destination but the private farm of a family who use it to raise a few cattle and enjoy the environment and everything it offers on weekends away from their city based business. I was privileged to be invited along for a few days and when I say privileged I mean that in every sense of the word.

I shot my Gemsbok on day 1 and was quite content to spend the rest of the time enjoying the experience and the surroundings with the rest of the group, photographing the experience. I could have shot more as I was not bound by a budget as we shot for free. no charge. But I was satisfied with my one animal and that beautiful animal provided the most wonderful, completely organic meat for many months thereafter. Nobody got drunk, no faces were smeared with blood and no raw testicles were eaten to prove your manhood. It was just a special time with good company in a wonderful setting.

And yes it was a complete experience combining the wonderful outdoors with aviation in the best possible way.

I include a few photographs of that experience, and yes there is a picture of me with the Gemsbok that I shot but not for the sake of proving my testicular diameter, but it was rather taken as a momento of a special experience and to immortalise the animal that provided that experience and the meals that followed. In the moment that that picture was taken, there was no bravado but I was filled with emotion and respect for the life that I had taken.

Killing your own food gives you a respect for it that is impossible to achieve any other way and I think if more people did so, there would be more wastage and thus less need for intensive farming and therefore less environmental impact and of course less need for the often cruel death of slaughter animals who die knowing they are going to die after hours of stress leading up to it. Unlike my Gemsbok, who died with a blade of grass between his teeth, literrally moments after having been disturbed from his browsing.

But as I said, if you use zero animal derived products, then please, feel free to educate the rest of us primitive beings. But if you simply prefer not to kill, don't judge those of us that are prepared to take responsibility for the death of what we eat.
=D> =D> =D>
RYAN NAVION - ZU-DAB
R44 - ZS-RYM
C210 - ZS-MJA - SOLD :(
apollo11
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by apollo11 » Wed May 10, 2017 1:19 pm

Wow you hunters are just amazing, real incredible human beings, no matter how it is justified it's still cold blooded one sided killing when it's for sport and other nefarious means.

You almost sound evangelical about the glorious hunting trade.
I've seen hunters at work over the years they could not give a fu%k about the animals, all they care about is getting a kill, puffing their chests out feeling like big men, and then preach the same old sermon song like you have just above to make them feel better when they look in the mirror.
People created the model, not the animals.

Darwin? I think you will find that you are a lot more at risk getting into Darwin's books by hunting in the first place. Sooner or later a confrontation with an animal will take you out, best have your rifle at the ready as your pathetic physicality is no match in a straight fight with 99% of wild animals. Life is like that when you look for trouble it usually finds you.

Enjoy your hunting... err not.... with a bit of luck I may see you getting some pay back on America's Top Funniest or Ridiculousness. Hopefully you will be the guy getting his face chewed off by a rather upset lion or lose half a bum cheek to a puff adder bite.

By the way I walk my talk I don't eat meat nor chicken.
Perry
Winchman
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: Stellenbosch
Been liked: 20 times

Unread post by Winchman » Wed May 10, 2017 1:26 pm

apollo11 wrote:Wow you hunters are just amazing, real incredible human beings, no matter how it is justified it's still cold blooded one sided killing when it's for sport and other nefarious means.

You almost sound evangelical about the glorious hunting trade.
I've seen hunters at work over the years they could not give a fu%k about the animals, all they care about is getting a kill, puffing their chests out feeling like big men, and then preach the same old sermon song like you have just above to make them feel better when they look in the mirror.
People created the model, not the animals.

Darwin? I think you will find that you are a lot more at risk getting into Darwin's books by hunting in the first place. Sooner or later a confrontation with an animal will take you out, best have your rifle at the ready as your pathetic physicality is no match in a straight fight with 99% of wild animals. Life is like that when you look for trouble it usually finds you.

Enjoy your hunting... err not.... with a bit of luck I may see you getting some pay back on America's Top Funniest or Ridiculousness. Hopefully you will be the guy getting his face chewed off by a rather upset lion or lose half a bum cheek to a puff adder bite.

By the way I walk my talk I don't eat meat nor chicken.

So when logic fails us we resort to ..... what exactly do you call this? I did not come out condemning you. I suggested tolerance and consideration of the possiblity that there may be another side to be considered. But clearly I hit a nerve.
Stuart Burgess
Fairchild UC61K in rebuild. Hanger 17 Stellenbosch

Return to “Destinations”