Hunting Destinations

Information regarding aviation friendly destinations and airfields.

Moderator: Moderators

TikkaT3
Taxiing to Clubhouse
Closest Airfield: Potchefstroom
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 4 times

Re: Hunting Destinations

Unread post by TikkaT3 » Thu May 11, 2017 8:21 am

Trevorn wrote:Heil c africa and tikka t3.
Did Ted bundy also not think he was normal?
Dunno, never knew Ted Bundy, only Ded Bunny.
Cessna 182
Shallowpig
HASSELL checks
Closest Airfield: FAAP
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Shallowpig » Thu May 11, 2017 9:21 am

TikkaT3 wrote:
Dunno, never knew Ted Bundy, only Ded Bunny.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And that folks is it!!
Jaco Barnard
Lood
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 8 times

Unread post by Lood » Thu May 11, 2017 9:29 am

Winchman wrote: Hey Lood

Where do you farm? A gathering of aviation minded ethical hunters to contribute to your financial viability could be fun :)
Between Colesberg and Gariep Dam and also to the west of Van Zylsrus. I'll think about it ... 8)
"An airplane might disappoint any pilot, but it'll never surprise a good one." — Len Morgan
Winchman
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: Stellenbosch
Been liked: 19 times

Unread post by Winchman » Thu May 11, 2017 9:38 am

Lood wrote:
Winchman wrote: Hey Lood

Where do you farm? A gathering of aviation minded ethical hunters to contribute to your financial viability could be fun :)
Between Colesberg and Gariep Dam and also to the west of Van Zylsrus. I'll think about it ... 8)
Then you are close to where I hunted. +_ 50km west of Van Zylsrus. Assuming that there is only one and that it is in the Kalahari
Stuart Burgess
Fairchild UC61K in rebuild. Hanger 17 Stellenbosch
Lood
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by Lood » Thu May 11, 2017 10:26 am

My farm is exactly 50 km from Van Zylsrus, on the road to Askham. Who did you hunt with or can you remeber the farm's name where you hunted?
"An airplane might disappoint any pilot, but it'll never surprise a good one." — Len Morgan
Winchman
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by Winchman » Thu May 11, 2017 11:17 am

Lood wrote:My farm is exactly 50 km from Van Zylsrus, on the road to Askham. Who did you hunt with or can you remeber the farm's name where you hunted?
Jan Louw on Diepe
Stuart Burgess
Winchman
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by Winchman » Thu May 11, 2017 1:46 pm

Really? Logical debate departs and we invoke Bundy and Hitler? That is something else that really pisses me off about armchair activitists. When you cannot engage logically, maturely and unemotionally the interaction degenerates to something resembling a kindergarten spat.

Modern city living and the impact on the environment and animals to produce what is needed to maintain that and the consumer lifestyle in general is the furthest from normal that you can possibly get and to imply or state that that is the ideal state of modern man is uninformed at best but borders on blinkered ignorance and disregard for the natural world and all it's inhabitants. The normal state to which you refer actually involves the hunting and gathering life that man lived for millenia, basic pastoral and agricultural practices pursued leading up to the industrial revolution where everything went pear shaped for the natural world in parallel with the rapid technological advancement of man and the progress of modern medicine that we continue to see today. In short, our lives have become easier and longer, we are keeping alive those who nature would have taken out a long time ago, the population is exploding exponentially and as a result more and more food is required. So hunting cannot possibly sustain us the way it used to. But that does not mean that each and every one of us has unlearnt the basic instinct to hunt or wants to ignore it. To deny that means that you deny everything that science has taught us about the progress of the development of man as a species.

Ethical hunting for the pot is probably the most humane way to gather your meat and if you wish to argue the point consider for a moment the chickens with their feet tied together being unloaded from those yellow crates that you see on trucks, being hung up alive upside down on an overhead conveyor that takes them into the abbatoir, dragging their heads and necks through a bath of water and disinfectant which carries an electric current to stun them before their necks are cut by hand and they pass through a chamber which first scalds them with steam before paddles slap the feathers off them where they emerge plucked and ready for evisceration and dismemberment. And some of them miss the knife. Unpleasant much? Then consider the more intelligent of our prey, the sheep, goats (yes you have eaten goat, thinking it was mutton), pigs and cattle and horses (yes, you have unknowingly eaten horse as well) who experience the trauma of an often long road trip that not all survive, being herded into the abbatoir some times led by the Judas goat before experiencing the sights, sounds and smells of the death of those ahead of them. I can describe that too in detail if you like?
Definitely way more humane than hunting isnt it.

"But I don't eat meat at all!!!" I hear you cry in dismay from your leather sofa or leather clad car seats while wearing your leather shoes and belt eating vegetarian or vegan meals produced on fields where every single possible insect or animal pest was sprayed or trapped out of existence so that you can buy your peeled onions and perfectly identical apples and oranges in high end supermarkets that give you loyalty points and play soft music while you contemplate how cool you are strolling the aisles sipping on the latte that that wonderfully friendly chap at the coffee counter just gave you(yes ok it is organic! The beans gathered in fields by 8 year old kids with no shoes and clothes that have been worn by six brothers and sisters before them but it creates opportunity doesnt it?

Knock yourself out with your lentils and smoothies while you dream up all your self comforting theories about what a good global citizen you are but unless you can honestly tick all of the boxes, and they have been defined, you cannot get up and preach about how bad and abnormal the guy with a rifle who goes out to get food for the pot is for all the cruelty and suffering he inflicts.

Oh and about that high powered rifle with a telescopic sight that you say gives me such a major and unfair advantage? Well would you prefer the alternative? having to creep up really close ith an old revolver that couldnt hit a Combi at 30 paces which will injure and maim and condemn the animal to possibly days of suffering befoe dying a miserable death? I am all for having the odds stacked well in my favour to be able to deliver a well aimed, precise killing shot from far enough away that the animal and it's companions are not aware of or disturbed by my presence so that death comes unexpectedly and instantly. And yes, i am contemplating fitting a silencer so that that disturbance is even further reduced.

Yes you self righteous armchair activists really piss me off. If you want to talk it then damn you better be prepared and able to walk it. I am quite prepared to present and listen to a logical, constructive argument but why does that approach feel so one sided?

I am all for animal rights and I am against abuse and cruelty in every form, but I cannot stomach the emotional bunny hugger arguments that are presented by those more concerned about preserving and protecting their own sensitivities than really addressing thei issues that they say concern them.

If any of you can claim to be even halfway there then please enlighten me but your modern lifestyle does way more harm that is impossoble to mitigate than you are prepared to look in the face.
Stuart Burgess
V5 - LEO
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Closest Airfield: FYWH
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 55 times

Unread post by V5 - LEO » Thu May 11, 2017 2:27 pm

Lood wrote:My farm is exactly 50 km from Van Zylsrus, on the road to Askham. Who did you hunt with or can you remeber the farm's name where you hunted?

....about here Lood?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In God I trust. The masses are never right, the minority are sometimes right, but the truth is always right.
“One good teacher in a lifetime may sometimes change a delinquent into a solid citizen.” — Philip Wylie
V5 - LEO
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Closest Airfield: FYWH
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 55 times

Unread post by V5 - LEO » Thu May 11, 2017 2:33 pm

.....my brother in law is farming here, so one day maybe sneak over the border for a visit???? :lol: :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In God I trust. The masses are never right, the minority are sometimes right, but the truth is always right.
“One good teacher in a lifetime may sometimes change a delinquent into a solid citizen.” — Philip Wylie
ehs
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Unread post by ehs » Thu May 11, 2017 3:35 pm

Winchman wrote:
Really? Logical debate departs and we invoke Bundy and Hitler? That is something else that really pisses me off a...trimmed for brevity.
Now, Winchman, tell us what you really think ...
Eddie Haynes-Smart
Lood
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand

Unread post by Lood » Thu May 11, 2017 4:32 pm

Indeed Leo. Only thing that's different is the runway on your GE picture doesn't exist anymore. It was too far from the farmstead and too much effort to maintain. I built a new one, much closer to my house and almost parallel with the main road.
Tallies
Hee Hee I'm Flying
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by Tallies » Thu May 11, 2017 4:37 pm

Maybe we can get back to the original topic of Hunting Destinations
Tallies
"Science flies you to the moon; religion flies you into buildings."- Victor Stenger (renowned contemporary physicist and philosopher)
Winchman
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by Winchman » Thu May 11, 2017 4:47 pm

Sorry chaps :roll:

I just get really riled up by ill informed bunny huggery but I am working on it :oops:
Stuart Burgess
Trevorn
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FAWK
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by Trevorn » Thu May 11, 2017 5:52 pm

Winchman wrote:Sorry chaps :roll:

I just get really riled up by ill informed bunny huggery but I am working on it :oops:
Have you ever stoped to consider that just maybe you are ill informed and your point of view is antiquated?
Winchman
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by Winchman » Thu May 11, 2017 7:04 pm

Trevorn wrote:
Winchman wrote:Sorry chaps :roll:

Have you ever stoped to consider that just maybe you are ill informed and your point of view is antiquated?
Trevorn I am more than willing to engage in a meaningful and respectful discussion based on an acknowledgement that we will probably not agree but share opinions any way.

If you want to promote the consumer way of life we certainly will not agree and some of the irrational statements here just make reasonable discussion impossible.

As the guys said this really should focus on aviation so if you want to substantiate your position please feel free to pm me.

Stuart
Stuart Burgess

Return to “Destinations”