Hunting Destinations

Information regarding aviation friendly destinations and airfields.

Moderator: Moderators

Trevorn
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FAWK
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Hunting Destinations

Unread post by Trevorn » Thu May 11, 2017 7:23 pm

Winchman wrote:
Trevorn wrote:
Winchman wrote:Sorry chaps :roll:

I just get really riled up by ill informed bunny huggery but I am working on it :oops:
Have you ever stoped to consider that just maybe you are ill informed and your point of view is antiquated?
Trevorn I am more than willing to engage in a meaningful and respectful discussion based on an acknowledgement that we will probably not agree but share opinions any way.

If you want to promote the consumer way of life we certainly will not agree and some of the irrational statements here just make reasonable discussion impossible.

As the guys said this really should focus on aviation so if you want to substantiate your position please feel free to pm me.

Stuart
Stuart I think we can agree that this is an aviation forum and controversial topics such as hunting are best left to other more suited ones.

As for meaningful debate somehow I think this is possible.
Winchman
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: Stellenbosch
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 18 times

Unread post by Winchman » Thu May 11, 2017 7:47 pm

Trevorn wrote:
Winchman wrote:
Trevorn wrote: Have you ever stoped to consider that just maybe you are ill informed and your point of view is antiquated?
Trevorn I am more than willing to engage in a meaningful and respectful discussion based on an acknowledgement that we will probably not agree but share opinions any way.

If you want to promote the consumer way of life we certainly will not agree and some of the irrational statements here just make reasonable discussion impossible.

As the guys said this really should focus on aviation so if you want to substantiate your position please feel free to pm me.

Stuart
Stuart I think we can agree that this is an aviation forum and controversial topics such as hunting are best left to other more suited ones.

As for meaningful debate somehow I think this is possible.
Well that is promising and I am very glad to hear it.
Stuart Burgess
Fairchild UC61K in rebuild. Hanger 17 Stellenbosch
apollo11
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGM
Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 29 times

Unread post by apollo11 » Thu May 11, 2017 8:57 pm

I just get really riled up by ill informed bunny huggery but I am working on it :oops:
Unfortunately the issue as Trevorn has pointed out is controversial, and indeed this is the wrong forum to be discussing hunting, we are not dealing with a few trees being cut down here and there but incredible magnificent creatures getting shot, Irrational statements… when it comes to killing there is little irrational about condemning the act, unless it’s in absolute self defense or military operations going wrong and/or right.

How do people that respect living creature’s right to live have a balanced discussion to people that support killing? It’s a completely hideously lopsided discussion.
Had an interesting little bit of research with a friend who is a psychologist I asked her what her thoughts were in general on people that hunt animals, not Amazonian Indians or Eskimos, Bushmen etc... but modern apparently civilized educated men and some woman.

She said there is an almost certain correlation about power dynamics at play an overt deep desire to satisfy a deep rooted or shallow inferiority complex, it’s deep and complicated and it very likely involves a problematic psyche that has internal conflict about how to be a man or woman using violence.

Killing an animal could allay some of that conflict by a power act that propels that person into a state of being utterly in control with clear but actually flawed intention.
Now some of the hunters I’ve come across over the years this is right on the money, I absolutely agree in the main whilst recognizing there is always some exceptions to the findings.

Some will simply lust to kill.

Some will arrive at a place where they realize what they doing is actually not right, you get hunters, poachers doing a 180 and becoming the most ardent conservationists risking their lives even to protect and let live.

Actually in Canada a few years ago whilst ferrying a float plane I came across a bear trapper that had did the 180 and was involved in a conservation project to protect and relocate bears.
He told me the smell, the carcasses and the animals eyes and expressions just became sickening, and the final moment turning point was when he shot a bear and found her cubs nearby, it haunted him for years
Straighten up and fly right!
Perry
AntonE
Mags On
Closest Airfield: FAFK
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 0

Unread post by AntonE » Thu May 11, 2017 9:30 pm

The psycological angle is interesting.
I once met a psycologist professor who had done studies on vegan people. I asked him to explain what the motivation was for becoming a vegan, and he explained that it is based on a deep rooted se x ual deficiency , coupled to a misplaced misconception of superior intellect . The interesting observation was that if the person is involved in aviation , that notion is especially evident. Apparently in males there is a link to a alarming rate of paedofile activities within the closer family group , apparently due to the absence of a string of enzymes and other vital juices. Cannot remember all the finer details .

I have met a few vegans which had all these traits right on the money , so I suppose it has to prove the research as correct and representative of the greater group. I would like to think that there are exeptions, perhaps there are.

Anyway , we live and let live.
apollo11
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by apollo11 » Thu May 11, 2017 9:57 pm

Touché' An amusing read Anton... could it be the good prof may have had his over zealous advances on a young student rejected that happened to be a vegan? :) Then he became the scorned nutty prof and lashed out at Vegans?

Spent 6 years in the SAPS and most of the pedophiles that were arrested I never ever heard mention of them being specifically vegan...

Hey before I get labelled as a baddy, I do eat fish, eggs and drink milk, I simply don't go out my way to harm any creature.
Perry
Winchman
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by Winchman » Thu May 11, 2017 10:01 pm

apollo11 wrote:

Unfortunately the issue as Trevorn has pointed out is controversial, and indeed this is the wrong forum to be discussing hunting, we are not dealing with a few trees being cut down here and there but incredible magnificent creatures getting shot, Irrational statements… when it comes to killing there is little irrational about condemning the act, unless it’s in absolute self defense or military operations going wrong and/or right.

How do people that respect living creature’s right to live have a balanced discussion to people that support killing? It’s a completely hideously lopsided discussion.
Had an interesting little bit of research with a friend who is a psychologist I asked her what her thoughts were in general on people that hunt animals, not Amazonian Indians or Eskimos, Bushmen etc... but modern apparently civilized educated men and some woman.

She said there is an almost certain correlation about power dynamics at play an overt deep desire to satisfy a deep rooted or shallow inferiority complex, it’s deep and complicated and it very likely involves a problematic psyche that has internal conflict about how to be a man or woman using violence.

Killing an animal could allay some of that conflict by a power act that propels that person into a state of being utterly in control with clear but actually flawed intention.
Now some of the hunters I’ve come across over the years this is right on the money, I absolutely agree in the main whilst recognizing there is always some exceptions to the findings.

Some will arrive at a place where they realize what they doing is actually not right, you get hunters, poachers doing a 180 and becoming the most ardent conservationists risking their lives even to protect and let live.

Actually in Canada a few years ago whilst ferrying a float plane I came across a bear trapper that had did the 180 and was involved in a conservation project to protect and relocate bears.
He told me the smell, the carcasses and the animals eyes and expressions just became sickening, and the final moment turning point was when he shot a bear and found her cubs nearby, it haunted him for years
Apollo I agree with you 100% that there are many hunters for whom your friend's assessment would be spot on. I have seen them and I accept that position entirely. It is however unfortunate that this type of hunter is the profle upon which more often than not the anti hunting lobby bases it's argument. I would stand right next to you condemning him in the strongest terms.

What is unfortunate is that this elliminates from consideration the ardent conservation minded nature lover, for whom part of the experience of being in nature and feeling part of it as man has been for ages before the supermarket, involves hunting to take food from it. This is no different to the fisherman whether fishing with fly on a stream or bait from the rocks. Taking food from nature whether plant or animal is a special and rare privilege that connects you with the land in a way that nothing else can and unfortunately it is very difficult to explain to someone who has not or chooses not to experience it.

As for the trapper, I can understand fully how he feels as the trap is a cruel, indiscriminate way of killing that causes terrible suffering and cannot be compared to the clean, humane shot of the skilled ethical hunter.
Stuart Burgess
apollo11
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by apollo11 » Thu May 11, 2017 10:18 pm

Hi Winchman, ok, after your last post above I propose a mutual surrender, I hear you and understand your view and feeling on this emotional subject. From my side a tactical withdrawal back into the shadows...
Perry
Winchman
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by Winchman » Thu May 11, 2017 11:16 pm

Perhaps not a surrender Apollo but maybe shaking hands somewhere in the middle undertaking not to paint each other with one broad brush! :roll:

Happy flying. We at least have that in common. That is what brought us all together here after all isn't it? :D
Stuart Burgess
fly1981
Incipient Spin
Closest Airfield: All over
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by fly1981 » Fri May 12, 2017 3:55 am

apollo11 wrote:

=D>
Trevorn
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: FAWK
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by Trevorn » Fri May 12, 2017 5:06 am

AntonE wrote:The psycological angle is interesting.
I once met a psycologist professor who had done studies on vegan people. I asked him to explain what the motivation was for becoming a vegan, and he explained that it is based on a deep rooted se x ual deficiency , coupled to a misplaced misconception of superior intellect . The interesting observation was that if the person is involved in aviation , that notion is especially evident. Apparently in males there is a link to a alarming rate of paedofile activities within the closer family group , apparently due to the absence of a string of enzymes and other vital juices. Cannot remember all the finer details .

I have met a few vegans which had all these traits right on the money , so I suppose it has to prove the research as correct and representative of the greater group. I would like to think that there are exeptions, perhaps there are.

Anyway , we live and let live.
Antone where are you sucking this information out of? If it is true please refer us to this research so I can read it. Sounds more like you made it up.

Or maybe you still getting over been rejected by a vegan pilot.
ehs
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FACT
Been liked: 0

Unread post by ehs » Fri May 12, 2017 12:49 pm

Hey! I've had a really great idea ....

..... would people in the know please post some hunting destinations that happen to have landing strips?

As an aside, if you okes flew helos you wouldn't need to go through all this pack drill ...
Eddie Haynes-Smart
TikkaT3
Taxiing to Clubhouse
Closest Airfield: Potchefstroom
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by TikkaT3 » Fri May 12, 2017 12:53 pm

ehs wrote:Hey! I've had a really great idea ....

..... would people in the know please post some hunting destinations that happen to have landing strips?

As an aside, if you okes flew helos you wouldn't need to go through all this pack drill ...
How dare you suggest that this thread get back on topic
:wink: :lol:
Cessna 182
Winchman
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by Winchman » Fri May 12, 2017 2:56 pm

Absolutely!!

Can't you see how much more fun this is than talking about aeries?? :lol:
Stuart Burgess
Taildraggerdriver
Stressed Eric ain't got nothing on me
Closest Airfield: faps
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 16 times

Unread post by Taildraggerdriver » Sat May 13, 2017 5:22 pm

So where is the biltong,

Where is the steak,

Where are the lamb chops.
C210
Cirrus sailplane
TikkaT3
Taxiing to Clubhouse
Closest Airfield: Potchefstroom
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by TikkaT3 » Sat May 13, 2017 5:42 pm

Taildraggerdriver wrote:So where is the biltong,

Where is the steak,

Where are the lamb chops.
Spar. They don't kill animals to make their meat there.
Cessna 182

Return to “Destinations”