Mkuze (FAMU) 2019

Information regarding aviation friendly destinations and airfields.

Moderator: Moderators

petercole
Wanna Fly
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Mkuze (FAMU) 2019

Unread post by petercole » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:58 pm

Hi, has anybody been to Mkuze recently? Is there avgas? How is security?
mikecolin
Preflighting
Closest Airfield: FALA

Re: Mkuze (FAMU) 2019

Unread post by mikecolin » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:20 am

I have been there recently, there are infact 2 Fields in Mkuze, there is the Mkuze Airstrip and then Mkuze Falls Airstrip.

The Main Mkuze airfield was recently renovated and is in good condition and no issues landing, their security is good so you wont have any issues.

No AVGAS Available at either strip, you wont be able to get in Richards Bay either so your closest is to Fly down to KZN, either King Shaka or Virginia.

You could always call Phinda Airfield, (And Beyond) speak to them they can organise AVGAS on special request but if you not a guest staying there they are gonna charge you a premium for the fuel.

Regarding Mkuze Falls Airstrip, this field is very old and gravel, loads of small thorn bushes and rocks, its doable i did it earlier this year in a SR22, you would need to overfly the field as low level and as slow as possible to identify where you going to touch down and then be very accurate on your landing, fly a very long approach and be mindful of the mountains on either end so if you decide to go around do it sooner than later as if you are not in a powerful machine the mountains do pose a threat.

I ended up doing 3 go around's! The SR22 was powerful enough to get me up and out of there quickly, i would be cautious in anything less powerful.

Once you touch down its bumpy but the strip is nice and long so just keep that nose up and you will be fine.

Both Game reserve's are stunning and a really beautiful place to go.
petercole
Wanna Fly
Closest Airfield: FAGC

Re: Mkuze (FAMU) 2019

Unread post by petercole » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:19 am

Tx so much. I'm going to the main Mkuze strip thank goodness :)

Return to “Destinations”