Official Fly-Inn Destinations with Accomodation

Information regarding aviation friendly destinations and airfields.

Moderator: Moderators

Tike
Flight Planning
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Official Fly-Inn Destinations with Accomodation

Unread post by Tike » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:25 pm

This Easter we did a family flying holiday from Durban to Noordoewer in Namibia. We stopped at some excellent venues along the way and I thought I would share them. Thanks for all the advice I gleaned on Avcom in preparation. Just a note, with family, fuel and gear, I prefer strips of 1000 m or more with reasonable surfaces, which excludes a number of the smaller fields.

First night was in Augrabies at Dundi Lodge. There's an ample strip on the property with a hangar and the accommodation is excellent. The owner, Berto, is a pilot and keen to develop aviation tourism in the area. Contrary to the guide book, there is also now ample Avgas. We could hire a car from the lodge and we were sorry that we didn't take longer to explore the area. When approaching, there are two fields close to each other. Dundi's is the longer further north.

From there we cleared at Upington- now downgraded to an ATZ. It was very efficient. ATC is excellent (as it was in all places we had radio contact). Bear in mind that Sunday clearances now require a call out and that fuel is only available during business hours.... or with a R600 call out fee. (As an aside, quite a visual feast flying up the Orange- hot air balloon in the sky and then the very impressive new solar tower- visible from miles away).

We cleared into Namibia at Keetmanshoop. Also required a call out but with very reasonable fees and was concluded efficiently.

We flew down the Fish River to the Fish River Lodge, a smart, visually stunning small hotel. The strip is good, about 3 km north of the lodge. It slopes away to the west. The road crossing about a third of the way from the eastern threshold was a little bumpy. They collect no problem. The wind gets up at night, to the extent that they provide ear plugs in the welcome pack! There were no tie down places but the plane was secured fine. The take off the next morning was out over the Canyon- breath taking.

We flew down to Noordoewer on the Orange River. The published 6400 ft (Airfields) and 5400 (Easy Plan) are of course right off but were enough to give me a few doubts about the local terrain. I estimate 540 ft. There is an old road further south of the actual strip that was a bit confusing but the veggie patch in the middle was a give away! The parking spot looked a bit worrying because its on the school route but we were (correctly) assured it would be safe. The Orange was fantastic and the Felix Unite team is relaxed but impressive.

Our planned visit to Ai-Ais had to be cancelled because the strip is 15 km from the Camp: having confirmed prior to our departure, when we checked on the day, we were told that there were no vehicles available to collect us. It also transpired in the conversations that no-one has actually landed there this year, so I was a little relieved not to be the first.

Oranjemund management were fantastic and one phone call re-assigned our clearance and customs/immigration and we checked out of Namibia a day early. At a cost of R90 for landing fees, it proved to be our lowest cost, quickest clearance. We were also happy to have rounded off our trip at the mouth of the Orange. From there we set sail for Upington again and we started to benefit from the westerly winds.

In Upington we stayed at the Riverplace Manor. They willingly collected us and dropped us at the Airport and must be one of the nicest B&B's we've stayed at.

KZN seemed to be the only part of the country getting rain this Easter, so we decided to break the trip. Bloem was about half way and De Oude Kraal had a strip and place for us. The strip is published at 1200 m but may be shorter now. The uphill northerly landing was no problem (after the stubborn horses finally decided to move on). The southern undershoot looks a little rough and I would probably choose the downhill for take off even with a tail wind. The facilities have recently been substantially upgraded with a beautiful deli and a great spa (so my wife tells me) but the traditional hospitality and big, comfortable rooms remain. We were quite happy when the weather demanded another day's delay. You might need to replan for weight after the excellent food!

Getting out around the Bloem airspace eastwards needs some planning but ATC provided clear routing and staggered clearance. There are a few danger areas but we were directed through the military training zone.

Really just a few lines to summarise some of the great places we experienced. Hope this thread continues and thanks to all those that provided advice, even if only by the notes they left.
MemyselfandI
Engine full power confirmed
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by MemyselfandI » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:28 am

Stilbaai, self catering Hermoso, will pick up and drop off at airfield. Booking.com to secure.

http://www.booking.com/hotel/za/bed-and ... tal;ucfs=1&
ilikeadornier
Engine Cranking
Closest Airfield: Kitty Hawk

Unread post by ilikeadornier » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:00 pm

Goose and Labrador B&B

Located east of Louis Trichard "Piesanghoek" airstrip on Easyplan.
1000m smooth grass RWY 11/29 elev 4000ft.
Runway has quite a slope land 11 take off 29.
Two of us flew in for the night from Kitty Hawk ( 1.4 Hrs RV-8@GS OF 160Kts via Tzaneen)
Friendly owner met us on arrival and offered hangerage which was accepted.
Self catering units but meals can be arranged,R230 pp/per night.
Accomodation 5 min walk from airstrip.
We brought our own meat and drinks,a braai and wood was provided.
Spectacular scenery and gardens well worth a visit.
Google Goose and Labrador B&B they have a nice website,will definitely go again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shaunus
Taxiing to Clubhouse
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 12 times

Unread post by Shaunus » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:22 pm

Paul from Goose and Labrador is an absolute legend! He gave us a tour of his awesome farm, and even twisted our arms to fly to his game farm 30min north for a night!
Privileged to have flown Cubby (ZU-CYB), Jabbie (ZU-JHF), Thunderbird (ZS-WPN, ZS-VWH), Samba XL (ZU-LAR), and C172 (ZS-JIM)
Jeandup
Engine Still Cranking
Closest Airfield: FAPS

Unread post by Jeandup » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:48 am

Hi All,

I'm eagerly looking for a fly-in location where I can take my girlfriend for a surprise proposal. She loves the bush and the outdoors and a location somewhere in the bushveld or even the drakensberg will be perfect. Does anybody know of the perfect place where they would be able to help me arrange the special moment? We will also spend the night so accommodation is necessary!

Anybody reading this who maybe knows her- no spoilers please! ;)

Thanks a lot in advance.
Jean du Plessis
PJL
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Closest Airfield: Pyramid Air Park
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 22 times

Unread post by PJL » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:25 am

Jeandup wrote:Hi All,

I'm eagerly looking for a fly-in location where I can take my girlfriend for a surprise proposal. She loves the bush and the outdoors and a location somewhere in the bushveld or even the drakensberg will be perfect. Does anybody know of the perfect place where they would be able to help me arrange the special moment? We will also spend the night so accommodation is necessary!

Anybody reading this who maybe knows her- no spoilers please! ;)

Thanks a lot in advance.
Jean du Plessis
Pyramid would be ideal Jean, it is in the Barberton Valley near Nelspruit.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28359&start=75#p1493952

PJL
To invent an airplane is nothing. To build one is something. To fly it is everything. — Otto Lilienthal

"When once you have tasted flight,
you will forever walk the earth
with your eyes turned skywards."
― Leonardo da Vinci
Carel
Paying Landing Fees
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Carel » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:47 am

A closer one is Zebula Bush Lodge (very nice 2-person king-size chalets at the Zebula mail lodge/clubhouse/spa). All within walking distance from each other.
Nice tarred runway at Zebula and they pick you up at the runway.

http://zebula.co.za/the-hotel-zebula-bush-lodge/
Advice is what we ask when we already know the answer but wish we didn't...
Jeandup
Engine Still Cranking
Closest Airfield: FAPS

Unread post by Jeandup » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:33 am

This is great, thank you very much. Zebula Adventures also have some nice ideas and activities!

Thanks once again
Jean
Jonas
Preflighting
Closest Airfield: Brakpan

Unread post by Jonas » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:09 pm

We had the privilege to spend our wedding anniversary at Palala Boutique Game Lodge. This is indeed a highly recommended venue to celebrate any special occasion. The flight took us 1hour 35 minutes with a C182 from FABB and landed on an extremely well maintained airstrip. The 5 star accommodation is absolutely luxurious, the food excellent, the staff are professional and well trained. The staff ensured that we were well looked after and went out of their way to accommodate us. We will definitely be back - soon! :D =D>
rajarad
Climbing Out
Closest Airfield: FAVV

Unread post by rajarad » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:54 am

Excellent place also flew in. Highly recommended
Springbok006
Hee Hee I'm Flying
Closest Airfield: FAGC

Unread post by Springbok006 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:52 pm

Hi everyone

I'm looking for a destination, 1 possibly 2 nights where one can land at a destination that has some very good fly fishing options? Anywhere in the country will do.

Thanks
Tranquillity
Wanna Fly
Closest Airfield: Tranquillity Lodge

Unread post by Tranquillity » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:08 am

We are a 3 Graded Three star lodge. We offer Accommodation, Small conference, Spa treatments and a restaurant. Tranquillity has two sand runways 02/20 600 m and 11/29 470m.
It is mandatory to call as there are obstructions to be pointed out. Call Ray 0844683350
Email info@tranquillityspalodge.co.za
Web: www.tranquillityspalodge.co.za
The co-ordinates are S 25 28 34 E 28 27 49
JacoBrits
Engine Started
Closest Airfield: FAGC

Unread post by JacoBrits » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:39 pm

Springbok006 wrote:Hi everyone

I'm looking for a destination, 1 possibly 2 nights where one can land at a destination that has some very good fly fishing options? Anywhere in the country will do.

Thanks
https://www.walkersons.co.za/
happyskipper
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FQNC

Aviatech River Lodge

Unread post by happyskipper » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:11 pm

I happen to have flown around this destination earlier this year - before it became Aviatech River Lodge :D
Come and Celebrate Aviatech River Lodge's Grand opening on the 17th of November 2018.

Farmers Breakfast will be served for R100 pp on the banks of the Vaal River.

Fly-In and be a part of our Lucky Draw competition.

Lucky Draw will be a weekend in one of our glorious Chalets of your Choice FOR FREE!!!

RSVP before the 13th of Novembers 2018.
Please view our PDF document for more information.

https://web.facebook.com/groups/Aviatec ... __tn__=K-R

https://www.google.com/maps/place/27%C2 ... 26.4656192
Mark 8)
AKA "happyslipper", "slappykipper" ... etc.. :lol:
RGB
Mags Dead Cut
Closest Airfield: FALA

Unread post by RGB » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:25 pm

Hi All

Fly in destination in Botswana. Will accommodate up to 12 people.

Regards
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Destinations”