Koopan (Askham) FAAK

Information regarding aviation friendly destinations and airfields.

Moderator: Moderators

Aquila
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: VHHH or FAVB
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 2 times

Koopan (Askham) FAAK

Unread post by Aquila » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:56 am

Hi guys :)

Does anybody have any info on Koopan (Askham) FAAK? I know its a pan and marked by tyres and with no windsock but any tips and advice will be greatly appreciated. We plan on going there with a Jabiru J430.

Thanks! :wink:
Raccoon jet driver...

See Horizons!
Willem Coetzee
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Koopan (Askham) FAAK

Unread post by Willem Coetzee » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:08 am

Sorry if I am late. I landed there on Friday 11 July. The pan is good but slightly bumpy and "slow".
No problems though.
George

Unread post by George » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:40 am

he he he...

Aquilla and co had an eventful day there :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Willem Coetzee

Unread post by Willem Coetzee » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:46 pm

Tell us.
Stephan Rossouw
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAOR

Unread post by Stephan Rossouw » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:52 pm

Just LOVE the ICAO designator!!!

Sounds like FU...!! You get the picture!! :lol: :lol:
All photos Copyright Stephan Rossouw Photography 2017

Home Page:
Stephan Rossouw Photography
http://www.stephanrossouw.co.za
Aquila
1k poster
1k poster
Closest Airfield: VHHH or FAVB
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by Aquila » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:20 pm

All I can say is that the pan was wet! :wink:
Raccoon jet driver...

See Horizons!
Lood
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by Lood » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:04 am

:P :P :P
I've had more than my share of that pan :!: Rained in there about two years ago- had to tow the a/c out with a 4x4 and got the SAPS to close the road so I could get out.
Also had a scary incident further west on Koopan Suid :shock: These pans can catch you out very easily - the latter, even worse when too dry... :roll:
But never ever use Askham's field itself, except if you're flying something with a lot of power that takes off in less than 300m in sand :wink:
"An airplane might disappoint any pilot, but it'll never surprise a good one." — Len Morgan
Makoppa
Engine full power confirmed

Unread post by Makoppa » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:43 am

I landed at Koopan during May this year. It was dry and rather smooth. Would not like to be there when it is wet though!

Makoppa
"Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood"
Buck Jones

Unread post by Buck Jones » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:46 pm

A much better strip is just northeast of the Molopo Lodge. It belongs to Elias le Riche, an experienced pilot and previous head of the Park. The whole family flies.

I have added the placemark for those who want to Google it.

The contact details are:

E Le Riche
Inversnaid , Askham , Northern Cape

Call and enjoy!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hed
Rolling
Closest Airfield: Morningstar
Has liked: 2 times

Unread post by hed » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:07 pm

Hi Guys,

Do anyone have any recent info of the places mentioned in the post above, or another suitable alternative for a flight to Tweerivieren or surrounds.

We are going for a 7-day trip to Kgalagadi Park, but as we are not staying on teh SA side, SANParks refuses to allow me to land at Tweerivieren. I plan to fly in with a Cessna 210, leave the plane there, get picked up by my friends in their 4x4, and come back a week later, to fly back to Cape Town.

I will try the number for Molop Lodge and E le Riche, but as it is late, I will only be able to do so tomorrow.

Any help or ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Heye
ReonWiese
Take off Clearance
Closest Airfield: Wonderboom
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by ReonWiese » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:14 pm

Are there any recent updates for FAAK?
We are hunting on a farm nearby and want to go in with the C210.
hed
Rolling
Closest Airfield: Morningstar
Has liked: 2 times

Unread post by hed » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:00 pm

Hi Reon, I flew in there 1.5 years ago in my 210. Went to Kalahari Gemsbok Park for 7 days and then flew out again. I just left her there and had no problems at all. I may have had a guard arranged by the local guesthouse, which is probably preferable, but I honestly cannot remember. There were little fireplaces so it is clear that I wasn’t the only guy doing this, but when I was there, Inwas alone for the week. The strip/pan is perfect and I had no hassles at all. I landed parallel and offset by around 500m to the main road cutting through the pan. More or less from West to East. If you do a pre-cautionary you will see the demarcated strip, which tends to be a bit more solidified/smoother than the rest, but the whole pan is fine. It is clear though that after a rain shower you will struggle to get out of there due to clay. Not this time of year though. Hunting/Flying sounds like perfect combination. Have fun. Heye
ReonWiese
Take off Clearance
Closest Airfield: Wonderboom
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by ReonWiese » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:25 pm

hed wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:00 pm
Hi Reon, I flew in there 1.5 years ago in my 210. Went to Kalahari Gemsbok Park for 7 days and then flew out again. I just left her there and had no problems at all. I may have had a guard arranged by the local guesthouse, which is probably preferable, but I honestly cannot remember. There were little fireplaces so it is clear that I wasn’t the only guy doing this, but when I was there, Inwas alone for the week. The strip/pan is perfect and I had no hassles at all. I landed parallel and offset by around 500m to the main road cutting through the pan. More or less from West to East. If you do a pre-cautionary you will see the demarcated strip, which tends to be a bit more solidified/smoother than the rest, but the whole pan is fine. It is clear though that after a rain shower you will struggle to get out of there due to clay. Not this time of year though. Hunting/Flying sounds like perfect combination. Have fun. Heye
Thank you Heye, much appreciated.

Return to “Destinations”