SAA A340's Parked at SAFAIR

Discussions pertaining to Airline operations,safety and training for Flight Deck Crew. Open to anyone who would like to learn all aspects of the Airline industry from a pilots perspective.

Moderator: Moderators

evanb
1k poster
1k poster

Re: SAA A340's Parked at SAFAIR

Unread post by evanb » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:03 pm

trees wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:57 pm
BA isn’t running the old Thales system that was nutritiously bad on the 744’s anymore. I don’t know what the newer Rockwell Collins and Panasonic systems they use are like.
Yeah, the old Thales system is gone from the B744s although they still use them on some B777s but they rarely visit South Africa. What grinds me about BA is that the premium economy on the low-J B744s (which fly to Cape Town) have this bizarre "Empower Socket" for in seat power. Nobody has these adapters and they don't carry them on board which means you pay a bucket for the most expensive premium economy around, and then don't even have in-seat power, and then you still get an economy class breakfast. I think BA's premium products, particularly premium economy and business class, that they provide to South Africa are close to the worst in the world (the premium economy on the A380s to Joburg are a little better).
trees wrote:
LX only have 5 A340’s left so there are A330’s doing the JNB flying nowadays aswell.
JNB-ZRH is exclusively A340 (remaining routes JNB, PVG, BOS and NRT). The A330 is only used as a an occasional sub. The remaining 5x A340s are all owned and were originally delivered to Swiss. They'll still be around for a while and are likely to be refurbished since there are no replacements on order. They still have 2x B77Ws on order which are for expansion. Four other owned ones were transferred to Edelweiss, while 6x leased frames (ex Air Canada and Austrian) have or are being scrapped.
Joker11
Hee Hee I'm Flying
Closest Airfield: OMDB

Unread post by Joker11 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:38 am

evanb wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:20 am
Joker11 wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:12 am
SAA cabins are largely outdated and they are in desperate need to get refurbished. Their cabin can not compete with any airline serving ZA. All major foreign airline have a much better cabin product.
I'd challenge the assertion that their cabin cannot compete with any airline serving South Africa, seriously, "all major foreign airline have a much better cabin product"?

SAA's A330-300s are dramatically better than BA. I'd even say the A330-200s are better. Similar for most other European carriers. Even Emirates still have angle lie flats in their B777s whereas even the old SAA A340s have full flats.
I am strictly talking economy class and their IFE. The A340-600 are old and their IFE is really not up to date. I know they got an amazing business class product.
Aviation would be great, if it wouldn't be for passengers.
Burner
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: LIMB

Unread post by Burner » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:36 pm

I flew them fairly recently economy on the 346. Agreed its tired... but then also flew BA on their 744 in economy and the same can be said.

When it comes to the bulk of the people who travel economy class, price is king. Leg room, IFE and service will be moaned about, but I don't know many economy travellers who will pay and extra R1000 to have nice IFE and better service.
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return"
beckers
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: Republic of Lanseria

Unread post by beckers » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:10 pm

Could it be that they are parking them at SAFAIR because it is harder to rob/steal spares from them than while they are parked at SAT.

I hear the black market with aircraft spares is a roaring trade at SAT....

Have they found that A330 landing gear yet?
Joker11
Hee Hee I'm Flying

Unread post by Joker11 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:34 pm

Burner wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:36 pm
I flew them fairly recently economy on the 346. Agreed its tired... but then also flew BA on their 744 in economy and the same can be said.

When it comes to the bulk of the people who travel economy class, price is king. Leg room, IFE and service will be moaned about, but I don't know many economy travellers who will pay and extra R1000 to have nice IFE and better service.
Clearly I am the only one who cares. :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :mrgreen: =P~ I like a good economy class and a good IFE.
Joker11
Hee Hee I'm Flying

Unread post by Joker11 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:49 pm

evanb wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:03 pm
trees wrote:
BA isn’t running the old Thales system that was nutritiously bad on the 744’s anymore. I don’t know what the newer Rockwell Collins and Panasonic systems they use are like.
Yeah, the old Thales system is gone from the B744s although they still use them on some B777s but they rarely visit South Africa. What grinds me about BA is that the premium economy on the low-J B744s (which fly to Cape Town) have this bizarre "Empower Socket" for in seat power. Nobody has these adapters and they don't carry them on board which means you pay a bucket for the most expensive premium economy around, and then don't even have in-seat power, and then you still get an economy class breakfast. I think BA's premium products, particularly premium economy and business class, that they provide to South Africa are close to the worst in the world (the premium economy on the A380s to Joburg are a little better).
trees wrote:
LX only have 5 A340’s left so there are A330’s doing the JNB flying nowadays aswell.
JNB-ZRH is exclusively A340 (remaining routes JNB, PVG, BOS and NRT). The A330 is only used as a an occasional sub. The remaining 5x A340s are all owned and were originally delivered to Swiss. They'll still be around for a while and are likely to be refurbished since there are no replacements on order. They still have 2x B77Ws on order which are for expansion. Four other owned ones were transferred to Edelweiss, while 6x leased frames (ex Air Canada and Austrian) have or are being scrapped.
Yes LX A340s are going for cabin refurbishment, but they are delayed due to some issues with the first class seat. There is a German article reporting on this.
http://www.airliners.de/a340-umbau-verz ... itze/46116
To sum it up. LX wants to refurbish their A340 to be the same as their 773s. They want to keep their A340 in service for another 5 years as LX didn't have money for another 2 B773. LH then decided to buy LX another 2 773s, but regardless they will go ahead with refurbishment to simply streamline their product across their fleet. Both business and economy class will be refurbished too. New IFE and galley will be installed as well. This will start in late 2018 and be completed in Spring 2019. The 773s are due to delivered in 2020.
Burner
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: LIMB

Unread post by Burner » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:22 pm

Joker11 wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:34 pm
Burner wrote:

Clearly I am the only one who cares. :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :mrgreen: =P~ I like a good economy class and a good IFE.
So would you pay an extra R1000 for good IFE and food in economy? If it's coming out my pocket, I always balance the cheapest ticket with the quickest option. I just flew back on Thai Airways brand new A350-900... very nice. But as per usual my iPad was loaded with stuff I wanted to watch, and I had packed snacks in case the meal was crap.
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return"
Joker11
Hee Hee I'm Flying

Unread post by Joker11 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:34 pm

Burner wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:22 pm
Joker11 wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:34 pm
Burner wrote:

So would you pay an extra R1000 for good IFE and food in economy? If it's coming out my pocket, I always balance the cheapest ticket with the quickest option. I just flew back on Thai Airways brand new A350-900... very nice. But as per usual my iPad was loaded with stuff I wanted to watch, and I had packed snacks in case the meal was crap.
Given my profession I am allowed to be picky ;) I totally get your point. I once flew on a world renowned airline and decided to skip breakfast with the thought that I would have food on board. Big mistake!!! Breakfast was a joke!
Mark Lawrence
Aircraft in Hangar
Closest Airfield: KFLL

Unread post by Mark Lawrence » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:50 pm

Burner wrote:

BA seems to be an issue worldwide - recently did a family vacation from South Florida to Spain and did 19/20yo 772's from Fort Lauderdale to Gatwick and back - IFE was so so, but BA's regular food is abysmal!! Everything is passed off as chicken curry - don't need to explain further - it was terrible!! The seat wasn't too bad though.....
rare bird
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by rare bird » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:06 pm

beckers wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:10 pm
Could it be that they are parking them at SAFAIR because it is harder to rob/steal spares from them than while they are parked at SAT.

I hear the black market with aircraft spares is a roaring trade at SAT....

Have they found that A330 landing gear yet?
:lol:

incidently, I see that Dubai / Emirates was supposedly the first to change out a full landing gear set & bogey on an A380

when is Lufthansa Technical starting?
evanb
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by evanb » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:48 am

evanb wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:52 pm
SAA have indicated several months back that they intend to withdraw five leased A340s and return them to lessors. Additionally, they have withdrawn an older owned A340-300 that was withdrawn last year (ZS-SXH). I guess the lessor may have chosen to take it back domestically rather than fly it to Europe.

Here is the status of the A340-300s:
ZS-SXA LEASED Not active in last 7 days
ZS-SXB LEASED Not active in last 7 days
ZS-SXC LEASED Not active in last 7 days
ZS-SXD OWNED Active
ZS-SXE OWNED Active
ZS-SXF OWNED Active
ZS-SXG OWNED Not active in last 7 days
ZS-SXH OWNED Stored

Here is the status of the A340-600s:
ZS-SNA LEASED Active
ZS-SNB LEASED Active
ZS-SNC LEASED Active
ZS-SND OWNED Active
ZS-SNE OWNED Active
ZS-SNF OWNED Not active in last 7 days
ZS-SNG OWNED Not active in last 7 days
ZS-SNH OWNED Active
ZS-SNI LEASED Active
ZS-SXC, A340-300, which hasn't been active since early May is on it's way to Amman (surprisingly) as SA4200. Assuming it's being returned to the lessor.
ERASER
Radio Call

Unread post by ERASER » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:52 am

SAA outsourced 4 A340-300 c-checks, ZS-SXC is the first to go, SXA,B & G will follow shortly. This is because the SAA Technical maintenance slots are full for August. All a/c will return to SAA. SXA incidentally was paint stripped in June and painted back into SAA c/s in July this year.
FoxTROT
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by FoxTROT » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:15 pm

ERASER wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:52 am
SAA outsourced 4 A340-300 c-checks, ZS-SXC is the first to go, SXA,B & G will follow shortly. This is because the SAA Technical maintenance slots are full for August. All a/c will return to SAA. SXA incidentally was paint stripped in June and painted back into SAA c/s in July this year.
What are they full with?
Comair sending aircraft to Europe for C Checks and SAA sending aircraft out as well. Don’t recall any other airlines having sent aircraft to SAA Tech for checks recently?
ACE MAN
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAKT+VHHH+FAPX

Unread post by ACE MAN » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:47 pm

FoxTROT wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:15 pm
ERASER wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:52 am
What are they full with?
Comair sending aircraft to Europe for C Checks and SAA sending aircraft out as well. Don’t recall any other airlines having sent aircraft to SAA Tech for checks recently?
Maybe some of the answer lies here?
https://www.google.co.za/amp/s/business ... lions/amp/
IITYWTMWYBMAD
Nomakhanjani
¯¯VAF¯¯
FoxTROT
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by FoxTROT » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:02 pm

ACE MAN wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:47 pm