Cathay Pacific to Johannesburg

Discussions pertaining to Airline operations,safety and training for Flight Deck Crew. Open to anyone who would like to learn all aspects of the Airline industry from a pilots perspective.

Moderator: Moderators

HarryC
Drinking Cooldrink at clubhouse

Cathay Pacific to Johannesburg

Unread post by HarryC » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:21 am

I cannot find Cathay Pacific flight CX748 from Johannesburg to Hong Kong on the system for 8th,12th,and 14th November.Has Cathay changed their schedules to Johannesburg?
peterslon
Preflighting

Re: Cathay Pacific to Johannesburg

Unread post by peterslon » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:04 pm

Was on SAA last week HK to Jhb and flight was not even half full on an A340-600
Unusual for this time of year, maybe Cathay finding the same.
Believe they may have a “flex schedule”
moosp
Forgot to remove the chocks!
Closest Airfield: Stellenbosch

Unread post by moosp » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:27 pm

CX 748/9 does cancel on some days of the week when either the loads are down or they run out of crew and aircraft. Some weeks it is daily, some weeks only 4 times a week.

I note that the Chinese mainland market is keeping the business class topped up, saw a tour group in business a couple of months ago.

CPT-HKG starts in around a week's time so that may cannibalise the JNB route, leading to the occasional cancellation. Just need to be flexible by a day or so.
ACE MAN
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAKT+VHHH+FAPX

Unread post by ACE MAN » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:59 am

Whenever I operate out of JNB we are always MZFW and leave some cargo behind . Business is always full. These three days are seasonal when perceived demand is low and resources are needed elsewhere . Yield on ticket sales in SA are lower because of point of sale therefore CX makes more revenue on other soil.
IITYWTMWYBMAD
Nomakhanjani
¯¯VAF¯¯
evanb
1k poster
1k poster

Unread post by evanb » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:42 pm

ACE MAN wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:59 am
Whenever I operate out of JNB we are always MZFW and leave some cargo behind . Business is always full. These three days are seasonal when perceived demand is low and resources are needed elsewhere . Yield on ticket sales in SA are lower because of point of sale therefore CX makes more revenue on other soil.
The data I've seen over the years has always shown China-South Africa to be a relatively lower yield. More recently, it's been eaten into by Ethiopian who have an unusually lot of capacity in China, as well as Air China's direct service (seeing their prices they've been dumping the capacity).
LongRangeCruise
Rolling
Closest Airfield: OR Tambo Intl

Unread post by LongRangeCruise » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:11 pm

The SAA A340-600 May have been half full but I assure you it was FULL of belly cargo.
GL
8000 Tousand
8000 Tousand
Closest Airfield: FACT

Unread post by GL » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:44 pm

LongRangeCruise wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:11 pm
The SAA A340-600 May have been half full but I assure you it was FULL of belly cargo.
Must make a retun to Combi attractive
Uncommon wisdom:
The grand essentials to happiness in this life are:
• someone to love,
• something to do,
• and something to hope for

Guy Leitch
ACE MAN
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand

Unread post by ACE MAN » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:53 pm

GL wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:44 pm
LongRangeCruise wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:11 pm
Must make a retun to Combi attractive
Does not need to as all current aircaft on this route reach max RTOW before MTOW. More than enough belly space.
IITYWTMWYBMAD
Nomakhanjani
¯¯VAF¯¯
apollo11
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGM

Unread post by apollo11 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:10 pm

Flew Cathay to HK just a couple weeks ago it was full to the brim was hoping for a couple of open seats around me right in the back 73G
Leaving and returning, a group of friends leaving on flights a few days past and before mine reported same, very full flights.

Unbelievable I'm the guy who too often gets the wailing baby or restless passenger needing the loo.

When the heck will they increase the speeds on long haul, it's been more or less the same speeds since the late 60's!!

We need stuff that will get us to HK in 5 hours max!

In my 20's I would even wear a tie and carefully shave before I flew, eagerly awaiting the hot meal, nowadays it's a major schlepp and no wonder so many passengers dress like beach slobs so as to be clothing free as possible... I can just see my stony faced expression as I sit in the back of cattle class willing the time to fly hah, hah, no pun intended.

Nowadays I even try to play the old one in sixty rule and see how close I can get to the arrival time seeking a peak at the distance to go and speed even tried the old PET/PNR calcs and to my chagrin realized I forgot the formula, eventually after trying to read for a couple hours I watched a couple of movies, it's like this with all my flights and maybe next time I take a pill and knock out, only thing is if stuff goes wrong I may find myself waking up after all the action!

I would be quite happy to crash in the hold on a stretcher bed, like crude business class and opt out for the meals, I'll pig out before departure in airport and at dest.
Straighten up and fly right!
Perry
ACE MAN
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand

Unread post by ACE MAN » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:34 pm

Just for reference, most CX 777’s to Jnb have 368 seats!
IITYWTMWYBMAD
Nomakhanjani
¯¯VAF¯¯
African Flyer
See Helicopter in the distance
Closest Airfield: FAGC

Unread post by African Flyer » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:26 pm

https://m.fin24.com/Companies/TravelAnd ... s-20181114

CPT-HKG officially started using the A350-900
Positive rate! :D
Artfly
Aircraft in Hangar
Closest Airfield: rand

Unread post by Artfly » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:36 pm

On my last few business trips,went via Cathay,aircraft were very empty,half full at most.
And one trip on Emirates which was full,found the service better on Cathay though.

Return to “Airline Chatter”