SAAT impound Air Namibia A319's

Discussions pertaining to Airline operations,safety and training for Flight Deck Crew. Open to anyone who would like to learn all aspects of the Airline industry from a pilots perspective.

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
HAAN
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Posts: 5852
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:17 pm
Closest Airfield: OMDB
Location: UAE
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times

SAAT impound Air Namibia A319's

Unread post by HAAN » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:51 pm

Frozen Funds Wreak Havoc On Air Namibia.

"SAAT has indicated it would not carry out the required work until Air Namibia has settled V5-ANM and V5-ANN's accounts.

The resulting narrowbody deficit has forced Air Namibia to suspended a number of regional African routes effective June 3. Among the routes that have been temporarily dropped include Windhoek Int'l to Luanda (Angola), with affected passengers transferred to TAAG Angola Airlines, while the Windhoek-Johannesburg route has been scaled down to daily from the previous 3x daily. In addition, Windhoek-Cape Town has been cut from 3x to 2x daily. One of the services will be operated with an ERJ while the other will be operated with the A319 albeit via Walvis Bay.

“The risk associated with this arrangement is one where if the aircraft [i.e. the sole remaining A319] should, on any day, develop a technical problem, the entire regional operation will be shut down (all flights to JNB and CPT)."

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news ... e-grounded
Hannes Meyer
Romeo E.T.
8000 Tousand
8000 Tousand
Posts: 8755
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:49 pm
Closest Airfield: FAJS
Location: JHB INTL/Kpt Park/Rand Apt
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 90 times

Re: SAAT impound Air Namibia A319's

Unread post by Romeo E.T. » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:22 pm

is "impound" the correct word to use here ?

They (SAAT) didn't take custody (seize), just refusing to carry out necessary maintenance.
impound
/ɪmˈpaʊnd/
Learn to pronounce
verb
verb: impound; 3rd person present: impounds; past tense: impounded; past participle: impounded; gerund or present participle: impounding

1.
seize and take legal custody of (something, especially a vehicle, goods, or documents) because of an infringement of a law.
sometimes we suffer a bit from C.R.A.F.T. sickness..Can't Remember A F@#%ing Thing

https://www.facebook.com/ralf.t.schulz
User avatar
V5 - LEO
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Posts: 5858
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:18 pm
Closest Airfield: FYWH
Location: Namibia
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 33 times

Re: SAAT impound Air Namibia A319's

Unread post by V5 - LEO » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:48 pm

....yeah looks like the Flamingo's tailfeathees is a bit ruffled. :cry:
In God I trust. The masses are never right, the minority are sometimes right, but the truth is always right.
“One good teacher in a lifetime may sometimes change a delinquent into a solid citizen.” — Philip Wylie
User avatar
Burner
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Posts: 4087
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:21 pm
Closest Airfield: LIMB
Location: Milan and Algeria
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 96 times

Re: SAAT impound Air Namibia A319's

Unread post by Burner » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:43 pm

Those two airframes are both pretty new, 7 years and delivered new to Air Nam. First major check up due? V5-ANN landed in JHB 24th March, and V5-ANM 2 June. Those sorts of assets must be costing them a fortune to have grounded.
evanb
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1837
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:58 pm
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 35 times

Re: SAAT impound Air Namibia A319's

Unread post by evanb » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:30 am

Burner wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:43 pm
Those two airframes are both pretty new, 7 years and delivered new to Air Nam. First major check up due? V5-ANN landed in JHB 24th March, and V5-ANM 2 June. Those sorts of assets must be costing them a fortune to have grounded.
Sounds like D-checks and SAAT want to be paid before releasing the aircraft.
User avatar
Richard Smit
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Posts: 2908
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:02 pm
Closest Airfield: Stilbaai
Location: RSA, Stilbaai
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 38 times

Re: SAAT impound Air Namibia A319's

Unread post by Richard Smit » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:07 am

I hope Air Namibia gets itself out of the difficult situation that it’s in soon.

Not nice to see this.
Spool-Up
Unhooked
Wanna Fly
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 7:34 am
Closest Airfield: Cape Town
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: SAAT impound Air Namibia A319's

Unread post by Unhooked » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:28 pm

You can only pretend to be qualified to run an airline and steal and mismanage the company for so long.
Eventually the chickens come home to roost. Same thing is happening at SAA. Ex AirNam guy
evanb
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1837
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:58 pm
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 35 times

Re: SAAT impound Air Namibia A319's

Unread post by evanb » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:09 pm

Unhooked wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:28 pm
You can only pretend to be qualified to run an airline and steal and mismanage the company for so long.
Eventually the chickens come home to roost. Same thing is happening at SAA. Ex AirNam guy
I have no idea about the scale of corruption there, but the business model is a dead end. A small long haul, poorly utilized fleet flying to a single long haul destination with yields eroded by efficient hub competition and negligible valuable feed is not sustainable.
User avatar
GL
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Posts: 9112
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:08 am
Closest Airfield: FACT
Location: Lost for words
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 72 times

Re: SAAT impound Air Namibia A319's

Unread post by GL » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:13 pm

evanb wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:09 pm
Unhooked wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:28 pm
You can only pretend to be qualified to run an airline and steal and mismanage the company for so long.
Eventually the chickens come home to roost. Same thing is happening at SAA. Ex AirNam guy
I have no idea about the scale of corruption there, but the business model is a dead end. A small long haul, poorly utilized fleet flying to a single long haul destination with yields eroded by efficient hub competition and negligible valuable feed is not sustainable.
What self respecting country doesn't have an airline?
What value a 'flag carrier' and jobs for pals? Who needs capitalist profits (a swear word) when you can have jobs and perceived prestige from a flag carrier.
Our body is made to move, and our mind is made to connect with other people.
– Sjur Nesheim, Norwegian mountaineer

The essentials to happiness:
• someone to love,
• something to do,
• something to hope for

Guy Leitch
evanb
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1837
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:58 pm
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 35 times

Re: SAAT impound Air Namibia A319's

Unread post by evanb » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:45 pm

GL wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:13 pm
What self respecting country doesn't have an airline?
What value a 'flag carrier' and jobs for pals? Who needs capitalist profits (a swear word) when you can have jobs and perceived prestige from a flag carrier.
No ego boost quite like a big plane or two!
These users liked the author evanb for the post:
Greeson
evanb
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1837
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:58 pm
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 35 times

Re: SAAT impound Air Namibia A319's

Unread post by evanb » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:49 pm

GL wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:13 pm
What self respecting country doesn't have an airline?
What value a 'flag carrier' and jobs for pals? Who needs capitalist profits (a swear word) when you can have jobs and perceived prestige from a flag carrier.
Although there is a case to be made for a loss-leading national carrier if there is a severe lack of capacity and the country is too small or too remote to attract major connections, but nowadays, Windhoek has 3x weekly flights by KLM, 4x weekly Ethiopian, 5x weekly Qatar, Condor/Eurowings, and multiple daily flights to Cape Town and Johannesburg. There are certainly no lack of options.
User avatar
V5 - LEO
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Posts: 5858
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:18 pm
Closest Airfield: FYWH
Location: Namibia
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 33 times

Re: SAAT impound Air Namibia A319's

Unread post by V5 - LEO » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:50 am

evanb wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:49 pm
GL wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:13 pm
What self respecting country doesn't have an airline?
What value a 'flag carrier' and jobs for pals? Who needs capitalist profits (a swear word) when you can have jobs and perceived prestige from a flag carrier.
Although there is a case to be made for a loss-leading national carrier if there is a severe lack of capacity and the country is too small or too remote to attract major connections, but nowadays, Windhoek has 3x weekly flights by KLM, 4x weekly Ethiopian, 5x weekly Qatar, Condor/Eurowings, and multiple daily flights to Cape Town and Johannesburg. There are certainly no lack of options.

.....yeah and if the powers to be would have listened years ago and went into code share agreements with these or other airlines, then maybe we would not been is this pickle.
These users liked the author V5 - LEO for the post:
evanb
In God I trust. The masses are never right, the minority are sometimes right, but the truth is always right.
“One good teacher in a lifetime may sometimes change a delinquent into a solid citizen.” — Philip Wylie
Slick
Taxiing
Posts: 72
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:11 pm
Closest Airfield: FAOR
Location: Johannesburg
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 1 time

Re: SAAT impound Air Namibia A319's

Unread post by Slick » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:48 pm

I see AirNamibia flew A330-200 V5-ANO, WDH-WVB-CPT today. I wonder what their loads looked like?

I'm guessing very expensive.
SandPiper
Frequent AvComer
Posts: 714
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:15 pm
Location: Swakopmund
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 5 times

Re: SAAT impound Air Namibia A319's

Unread post by SandPiper » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:49 pm

wdh-cpt-wdh

90/180
Slick
Taxiing
Posts: 72
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:11 pm
Closest Airfield: FAOR
Location: Johannesburg
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 1 time

Re: SAAT impound Air Namibia A319's

Unread post by Slick » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:38 pm

SandPiper wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:49 pm
wdh-cpt-wdh

90/180
You're right, I got incorrect gen from Flight Radar 24. It says it diverted from WVB to CPT but I guess it wasn't supposed to do the WVB leg in the first place.

90/180 not as bad as I was expecting :D

Return to “Airline Chatter”