Cathay Pacific Records Passengers During Flights

Discussions pertaining to Airline operations,safety and training for Flight Deck Crew. Open to anyone who would like to learn all aspects of the Airline industry from a pilots perspective.

Moderator: Moderators

meerlanden
Preflighting
Closest Airfield: EHAM
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 2 times

Cathay Pacific Records Passengers During Flights

Unread post by meerlanden » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:35 pm

https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/337826

Hello fellow AVCOM users, I cannot find this subject discussed already:
what do you think about this new idea and do you believe others will follow?

"Cathay Pacific Records Passengers During Flights
Any use of the in-flight entertainment system is logged and CCTV cameras on board each flight record your activity for security purposes."

Alex
Deanw
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 105 times

Re: Cathay Pacific Records Passengers During Flights

Unread post by Deanw » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:53 pm

Why do you think it is new?
These users liked the author Deanw for the post:
tansg
How come every time my ship comes in I'm at the airport?

http://www.SAairforce.co.za
Richard Smit
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: Stilbaai
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 67 times

Unread post by Richard Smit » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:49 am

Only my opinion, but I call bulldust on this.

They possibly log passenger entertainment, duty-free, and meal choice info, but I seriously doubt that they record (as in sound, or video) passengers during flight.

Monitor and record the cabin in general, possibly.
Spool-Up
Flugmaour
Engine full power confirmed
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by Flugmaour » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:35 am

Very possible the use of cctv cameras on board. I know on the new 777's of EK they have multiple cameras recording in the cabin, galley and even the cargo hold. Think there are about 12 cameras in total if remember correctly.
JDPooler
Aircraft in Hangar
Closest Airfield: Virginia Durban KZN
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by JDPooler » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:40 am

Flugmaour wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:35 am
Very possible the use of cctv cameras on board. I know on the new 777's of EK they have multiple cameras recording in the cabin, galley and even the cargo hold. Think there are about 12 cameras in total if remember correctly.
Correct. There are cameras located throughout the cabin but nothing is recorded - this is pure sensationalism from the clueless media.

As Richard mentioned, passenger preferences in terms of movies, amount of wifi usage, meal preferences, duty-free purchases etc are used to create an understanding of passenger profiles.

As for recording 400 passengers sleeping - rubbish.
Jeff Pooler
Bonanza B36TC
ZS-MJM
ACE MAN
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAKT+VHHH+FAPX
Has liked: 428 times
Been liked: 94 times

Unread post by ACE MAN » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:48 pm

JDPooler wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:40 am
Flugmaour wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:35 am
Correct. There are cameras located throughout the cabin but nothing is recorded - this is pure sensationalism from the clueless media.

As Richard mentioned, passenger preferences in terms of movies, amount of wifi usage, meal preferences, duty-free purchases etc are used to create an understanding of passenger profiles.

As for recording 400 passengers sleeping - rubbish.
Cameras located throughout the cabin , really? On every 777 I have ever been in command of we only have three security cameras at the Doors 1/ fwd galley area for cockpit access that came with the closed door policy since 9/11. In Other news most times you use an app on your phone or purchase something online or even with a card at a store your data/preference/ locations can be recorded. Facial recognition has being going on for decades and is well recorded from the days of the IRA troubles with CCTV in London streets. The trouble comes when third parties get access to your data or it gets sold, wake up people this is the new power over people where the war is being raged.

Back to the topic , I doubt Cathay uses any of the personal data captured any differently than any other airline out there.
These users liked the author ACE MAN for the post:
Beacon1
IITYWTMWYBMAD
Nomakhanjani
¯¯VAF¯¯
cage
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 332 times

Unread post by cage » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:09 pm

This whole hoohah stems from the recent changes to their terms and conditions. Data privacy laws now require corporates to disclose what they do or intend to do.
In Cathays case they have listed their right to use cameras which are embedded in every new generation in-seat entertainment system and any cctv you may pass, amongst other data gathering means.
That way you have been warned.
It’s not that they are, they are just covering their ass if they do...
These users liked the author cage for the post:
ACE MAN
FLYEXTRADRY
Preflighting
Closest Airfield: OMDB
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0

Unread post by FLYEXTRADRY » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:29 pm

I can certainly believe that China is monitoring their population due Social scoring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOk27I2EBac
meerlanden
Preflighting
Closest Airfield: EHAM
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by meerlanden » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:10 pm

my 2 cents worth regarding the IFE seat cam - locate the cam pinhole (if you can ) and stick a piece of sticky paper on it during the flight. I am sure the subject of "locating the pinhole on the IFE" has been discussed on other forums on the internet already. From my experience if you look at the IFE screen from the side you see a "shadow" of the actual lens behind the cover. stick something on it to be safe.
skyvan
Frequent AvComer
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by skyvan » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:08 am

ACE MAN wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:48 pm
[.
Cameras located throughout the cabin , really? On every 777 I have ever been in command of we only have three security cameras at the Doors 1/ fwd galley area for cockpit access that came with the closed door policy since 9/11.
[/quote]

The newer B777s have cameras placed throughout the cabin, we can select a cabin and scroll through the cabin/galleys as well as the cargo compartment (hold 5). They are there to help us with situational awareness if there is something happening down the back.

But as for whether it is being "recorded" , I doubt it, it would just take too much computing power to store the images from 20 cameras over a long flight.
Richard Smit
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: Stilbaai
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 67 times

Unread post by Richard Smit » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:49 am

Just imagine the poor sod who would have to watch millions of hours of videos of bored. drooling, passenger video.

No, I don’t think that what it’s about.
Spool-Up
cage
10000 and still climbing
10000 and still climbing
Closest Airfield: FAGC
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 332 times

Unread post by cage » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:56 am

Richard Smit wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:49 am
Just imagine the poor sod who would have to watch millions of hours of videos of bored. drooling, passenger video.

No, I don’t think that what it’s about.
If they were so inclined, and the interest was passenger behaviour, then there is clever software that can "watch" the footage to see trends which could be used for improving the passenger experience or revenue opportunities.
You would have to have a pretty good idea of what you wanted to achieve, just recording for the sake of it would be pointless.

Many of the apps on your phones already track what you do so they can make the experience better, such as making popular options more accessible.
Having data gathered about our habits is a fact of life and has been that way for quite some time.
Nicolaas206
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: VHHH
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by Nicolaas206 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:41 pm

meerlanden wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:10 pm
my 2 cents worth regarding the IFE seat cam - locate the cam pinhole (if you can ) and stick a piece of sticky paper on it during the flight. I am sure the subject of "locating the pinhole on the IFE" has been discussed on other forums on the internet already. From my experience if you look at the IFE screen from the side you see a "shadow" of the actual lens behind the cover. stick something on it to be safe.
I would guess most people, including me, are really not that paranoid.
Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you.

Return to “Airline Chatter”