Flights to the island of St Helena

Discussions pertaining to Airline operations,safety and training for Flight Deck Crew. Open to anyone who would like to learn all aspects of the Airline industry from a pilots perspective.

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
GL
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Posts: 9645
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:08 am
Closest Airfield: FACT
Location: Lost for words
Has liked: 108 times
Been liked: 291 times

Re: Flights to the island of St Helena

Unread post by GL » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:50 pm

MrT wrote:
GL wrote:I hear Airlink is stopping Cape Town Windhoek St Helena - anybody know more? My guess is that the Namibians were refusing them 5th freedom rights to uplift pax - or drop them off - in Windhoek?
GL, read the post about 8 or 9 up on this thread.
Thanks - that was back in October - I am told that there have been further developments.
What if humanity is the disease and Covid-19 the cure?
grjplanes
Frequent AvComer
Posts: 897
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:17 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 13 times

Re: Flights to the island of St Helena

Unread post by grjplanes » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:42 pm

Seems to be because of that yes, still not resolved...pax can't transit in WDH...so the same service continues on to HLE as usual (JNB-WDH-HLE with E190), just the pax on the connecting CPT-WDH ERJ service can't transfer over to the E190 continuing on to HLE.
I guess the CPT-WDH sector remains in place, probably just returning earlier again, not waiting for the inbound HLE-WDH service...which have lately just continued as HLE-JNB.
So CPT origin or bound pax must fly to JNB first (not sure if early morning flight CPT-JNB is sufficient).
User avatar
GL
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Posts: 9645
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:08 am
Closest Airfield: FACT
Location: Lost for words
Has liked: 108 times
Been liked: 291 times

Re: Flights to the island of St Helena

Unread post by GL » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:33 pm

Spoke to Rodger Foster to get clarity about ending of Windhoek flight. He also mentioned that their loads were good and they may well start a second JNB service, so they will fly on Saturdays and Wednesdays - a three night stay will make the island much more accessible.
What if humanity is the disease and Covid-19 the cure?
MrT
FREDA checks
Posts: 371
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 9:03 pm
Closest Airfield: CPT
Location: Cape Town
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Flights to the island of St Helena

Unread post by MrT » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:41 am

A recent article in the St Helena Independant
image.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
GL
Niner Tousand
Niner Tousand
Posts: 9645
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:08 am
Closest Airfield: FACT
Location: Lost for words
Has liked: 108 times
Been liked: 291 times

Re: Flights to the island of St Helena

Unread post by GL » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:59 am

What's AeroTelegraph - a 'South African aviation news website?' All i can find is a German one?
What if humanity is the disease and Covid-19 the cure?
MrT
FREDA checks
Posts: 371
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 9:03 pm
Closest Airfield: CPT
Location: Cape Town
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Flights to the island of St Helena

Unread post by MrT » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:22 am

I have no idea. Maybe the aviation section of the U.K. Telegraph newspaper?
User avatar
Fransw
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Posts: 5862
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:22 pm
Closest Airfield: Pretoria
Location: Pretoria
Has liked: 435 times
Been liked: 176 times

Re: Flights to the island of St Helena

Unread post by Fransw » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:09 am

About 65% passenger loading so far! Not bad!.. I want to visit st H, but a week is too long. Maybe with the Cpt flight it will be possible to return to SA sooner?..
User avatar
Deanw
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Posts: 6946
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:37 pm
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 266 times

Re: Flights to the island of St Helena

Unread post by Deanw » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:08 pm

Fransw wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:09 am
About 65% passenger loading so far! Not bad!.. I want to visit st H, but a week is too long. Maybe with the Cpt flight it will be possible to return to SA sooner?..
It's the same Windhoek/St Helena flight, you just change over to a Windhoek/Cape Town flight instead of the Windhoek/Jhb leg.
How come every time my ship comes in I'm at the airport?

http://www.SAairforce.co.za
User avatar
Fransw
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Posts: 5862
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:22 pm
Closest Airfield: Pretoria
Location: Pretoria
Has liked: 435 times
Been liked: 176 times

Re: Flights to the island of St Helena

Unread post by Fransw » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:58 pm

Deanw wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:08 pm
Fransw wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:09 am
About 65% passenger loading so far! Not bad!.. I want to visit st H, but a week is too long. Maybe with the Cpt flight it will be possible to return to SA sooner?..
It's the same Windhoek/St Helena flight, you just change over to a Windhoek/Cape Town flight instead of the Windhoek/Jhb leg.
Of course!..

Muchas gracias! :smt023
User avatar
opsmike
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1262
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:21 pm
Location: Lanseria
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 28 times

Re: Flights to the island of St Helena

Unread post by opsmike » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:27 pm

Fransw wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:09 am
About 65% passenger loading so far! Not bad!.. I want to visit st H, but a week is too long. Maybe with the Cpt flight it will be possible to return to SA sooner?..
From December there will also be a Tuesday flight which will work for you
Airports are where it happens
User avatar
Fransw
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Posts: 5862
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:22 pm
Closest Airfield: Pretoria
Location: Pretoria
Has liked: 435 times
Been liked: 176 times

Re: Flights to the island of St Helena

Unread post by Fransw » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:00 pm

opsmike wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:27 pm
Fransw wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:09 am
About 65% passenger loading so far! Not bad!.. I want to visit st H, but a week is too long. Maybe with the Cpt flight it will be possible to return to SA sooner?..
From December there will also be a Tuesday flight which will work for you
That's very good news! Thank you Mike!

Interesting place to visit I think..
User avatar
opsmike
1k poster
1k poster
Posts: 1262
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:21 pm
Location: Lanseria
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 28 times

Re: Flights to the island of St Helena

Unread post by opsmike » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:23 am

Fransw wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:00 pm
opsmike wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:27 pm
Fransw wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:09 am
About 65% passenger loading so far! Not bad!.. I want to visit st H, but a week is too long. Maybe with the Cpt flight it will be possible to return to SA sooner?..
From December there will also be a Tuesday flight which will work for you
That's very good news! Thank you Mike!

Interesting place to visit I think..

That it is, been there 5 times once for 8 weeks
Airports are where it happens
gregdeklerk
Climbing Out
Posts: 212
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:59 pm
Closest Airfield: FACT
Location: Cape Town
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Flights to the island of St Helena

Unread post by gregdeklerk » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:18 pm

I checked the ticket price and was quite shocked for us South Africans....R14 000 return. I can fly to Europe for less.

At 65% load factor, an additional seasonal flight and a subsidy from SHG, is Airlink doing well ot of this?
evanb
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Posts: 2241
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:58 pm
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 265 times

Re: Flights to the island of St Helena

Unread post by evanb » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:05 pm

gregdeklerk wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:18 pm
I checked the ticket price and was quite shocked for us South Africans....R14 000 return. I can fly to Europe for less.

At 65% load factor, an additional seasonal flight and a subsidy from SHG, is Airlink doing well ot of this?
They also have much, much higher operating costs on this route than a flight to Europe ...
gregdeklerk
Climbing Out
Posts: 212
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:59 pm
Closest Airfield: FACT
Location: Cape Town
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Flights to the island of St Helena

Unread post by gregdeklerk » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:59 am

I didn't think of that. What are the extra expenses? Additional fuel in case of a diversion and pehaps extra crew and accommodation costs.

Return to “Airline Chatter”