Flights to the island of St Helena

Discussions pertaining to Airline operations,safety and training for Flight Deck Crew. Open to anyone who would like to learn all aspects of the Airline industry from a pilots perspective.

Moderator: Moderators

Slick
Flaps set for Take off
Closest Airfield: FAOR
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 3 times

Re: Flights to the island of St Helena

Unread post by Slick » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:15 am

gregdeklerk wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:59 am
I didn't think of that. What are the extra expenses? Additional fuel in case of a diversion and pehaps extra crew and accommodation costs.
Economies of scale. Cost for the flight divided by 98seats compared to a 738 with 180 odd seats compared to an 340-600 with approx 340 seats. I also don't believe the aircraft was intended to compete on flights with that sort of flight time.
Falafel
Frequent AvComer
Closest Airfield: FALA_LCY
Has liked: 108 times
Been liked: 230 times

Unread post by Falafel » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:51 am

Honestly looked at going to St Helena a few times and cant see any reason to spend the money and time there... just doesnt seem like much going on... I may be wrong but can anyone here advise if they have been and what it was like (experience wise)?
Fransw
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: Pretoria
Has liked: 435 times
Been liked: 176 times

Unread post by Fransw » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:16 am

Falafel wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:51 am
Honestly looked at going to St Helena a few times and cant see any reason to spend the money and time there... just doesnt seem like much going on... I may be wrong but can anyone here advise if they have been and what it was like (experience wise)?
Fala, never been there, but I think its more for the outdoor type. Fishing, sailing, scuba, hiking are all things to do there. Not for the serious city slicker...
NKruger
Pre-take off checks
Closest Airfield: Wonderboom
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by NKruger » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:42 am

Fransw wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:16 am
Falafel wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:51 am
Fala, never been there, but I think its more for the outdoor type. Fishing, sailing, scuba, hiking are all things to do there. Not for the serious city slicker...
Agreed. I think it's much like paying R100k for a 5 day Gorilla trekking expedition in Rwanda...the majority of us would not even consider spending that amount on such an outing but that is exactly what makes it special; St Helena, in my opinion, is a bucket list item for your non-mainstream traveller - a kind of a once in a lifetime experience. I, for one (and if I had the bucks) would in the blink of an eye, spend that money to visit this Island. Its historical landscape is super intriguing and the natural surroundings absolutely unique (apparently). One day...
Jack Welles
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FACT
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 175 times

Unread post by Jack Welles » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:50 am

Fransw wrote:
more for the outdoor type. Fishing, sailing, scuba, hiking are all things to do there. Not for the serious city slicker...
:D Hey there, you can do all that in CT on the cheap!

R28k for two just for tickets, daily costs still to come :shock:
Falafel
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by Falafel » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:16 am

Jack Welles wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:50 am
Fransw wrote:
more for the outdoor type. Fishing, sailing, scuba, hiking are all things to do there. Not for the serious city slicker...

Exactly and while people in CT have some serious quirks, I cant help but wonder if when I land in St Helena passport control is manned by a person with three eyes and 16 fingers due to the lack of contact with the outside world for so long.... :shock:
Fransw
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: Pretoria
Has liked: 435 times
Been liked: 176 times

Unread post by Fransw » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:28 am

Falafel wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:16 am
Jack Welles wrote:
Fransw wrote:

Exactly and while people in CT have some serious quirks, I cant help but wonder if when I land in St Helena passport control is manned by a person with three eyes and 16 fingers due to the lack of contact with the outside world for so long.... :shock:
You can do everything in SA! Why travel at all?

That's exactly why we travel Fala. To look for those interesting(3 eyes, 16 fingers) things in live. You will never find them if you don't travel! :D
opsmike
1k poster
1k poster
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 28 times

Unread post by opsmike » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:35 am

Falafel wrote:
Jack Welles wrote:
Fransw wrote:

I have been there 5 times, they are a very friendly people, very inquisitive want to know all about you. If going get ready to go back to the 70's, very peaceful nothing chases them. It is a beautiful island from rain forests to deserts all within 15 km, excellent diving and fishing. No real beaches to tan on only volcanic rock, weather is great. It is really worth a short visit
Airports are where it happens
Falafel
Frequent AvComer

Unread post by Falafel » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:47 am

opsmike wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:35 am
Falafel wrote:
Jack Welles wrote:

I have been there 5 times, they are a very friendly people, very inquisitive want to know all about you. If going get ready to go back to the 70's, very peaceful nothing chases them. It is a beautiful island from rain forests to deserts all within 15 km, excellent diving and fishing. No real beaches to tan on only volcanic rock, weather is great. It is really worth a short visit
Best time of the year? Price / weather?
opsmike
1k poster
1k poster
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 28 times

Unread post by opsmike » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:58 am

Falafel wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:47 am
opsmike wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:35 am
Falafel wrote:

Best time of the year? Price / weather?
Best time of the year is Nov to Jan, weather is at its best and a lot happening (for the island) socially. They use the St Helena Pound which has the same value as the UK pound. Food and drink is expensive as most must be imported, beer costs about R25-00 and a burger R35-00, no KFC or any of the other brands but they make a mean fish burger, food is generally spicy and large portions.
Airports are where it happens
evanb
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 265 times

Unread post by evanb » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:08 pm

gregdeklerk wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:59 am
I didn't think of that. What are the extra expenses? Additional fuel in case of a diversion and pehaps extra crew and accommodation costs.
Unit cost, or cost per available seat mile (CASM) gets lower as the aircraft gets bigger. Two reasons why this happens, more seats to share the fixed costs over, and secondly the larger the aircraft the more fuel efficient they become over an optimal distance. For example, all else being held constant, the B737-700 and A319 have about a 10 to 20% higher CASM than the B737-800 and A320. The E190's CASM is approximately 10 to 20% higher than the B737-700 or A319. Obviously, the larger aircraft only becomes useful if you can fill the seats at an optimal revenue. Then you add in some route specifics that also increase costs like the tech stop in Windhoek, the extra fuel they carry for diversions, higher crewing costs due to low frequency operations.
gregdeklerk
Climbing Out
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by gregdeklerk » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:22 am

Thanks Evan, this makes a lot of sense. It is all a balancing act. Airlink are constrained with aircraft due to the runway length and wind shear.

If they on average have a 65% load factor on the E190, it may not have worked out for Comair with those numbers using the B738? Extra fuel efficiency may have been eroded?
gregdeklerk
Climbing Out
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by gregdeklerk » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:45 pm

Does anyone know the reason why yesterday's flight SA8131 departed Windhoek as normal, flew out towards the island and then diverted to FAOR. Was it medical or technical?
FlyGiep
Rotating
Closest Airfield: FAKT
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by FlyGiep » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:48 pm

Wx
The sky is only the beginning ! ! !
Deanw
Six Tousand
Six Tousand
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 266 times

Unread post by Deanw » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:40 pm

I see the intermediate stop is changing from Windhoek to Walvis Bay. Apparently moving to the coast (cooler and lower) allows an extra 11 pax.
How come every time my ship comes in I'm at the airport?

http://www.SAairforce.co.za

Return to “Airline Chatter”