Tipping cabin crew

Discussions pertaining to Airline operations,safety and training for Flight Deck Crew. Open to anyone who would like to learn all aspects of the Airline industry from a pilots perspective.

Moderator: Moderators

MadMacs
Too Tousand
Too Tousand
Closest Airfield: GRJ

Tipping cabin crew

Unread post by MadMacs » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:41 am

It seems like Frontier Airlines is asking its passengers to tip the flight attendants.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/travel/8101997 ... ew-drinks/
The Flat Earth Society has members all around the globe.
Goffel
1k poster
1k poster

Re: Tipping cabin crew

Unread post by Goffel » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:02 pm

Would this not be considered as "Conflict of Interest".....check their employment contract.

Laughable...but just maybe.

Goffel.
HJK 414
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: EHTW

Unread post by HJK 414 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:42 pm

The passengers has the opportunity to pay the bill without adding a gratuity .....

What's the issue ?
Personal choice

JK
The wisest mind has something yet to learn. ...
cage
8000 Tousand
8000 Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC

Unread post by cage » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:54 pm

Sounds like a great way to help airlines shift crew costs to pax.
If they want a tip then provide a dedicated bar for the privilege.
Cabin crew are professionals and should be paid as such, tips are used to augment salary for low paid service staff.
This has no place in an airline.

You want a tip? Here's one - keep your seat belt lightly fastened in flight.
HJK 414
Fower Tousand
Fower Tousand
Closest Airfield: EHTW

Unread post by HJK 414 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:46 pm

cage wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:54 pm
Sounds like a great way to help airlines shift crew costs to pax.
If they want a tip then provide a dedicated bar for the privilege.
Cabin crew are professionals and should be paid as such, tips are used to augment salary for low paid service staff.
This has no place in an airline.

You want a tip? Here's one - keep your seat belt lightly fastened in flight.

Cage,

I agree that the normal reaction is that it is not for an airline / yet the whole infrastructure of the "service industry" in the USA is based on "tips". I was in Phoenix a few weeks ago and the lady that had served us in a restaurant for dinner - wrote her name on the tab - with a little heart on it / and in the heart 30 % ......... that is crazy ... The bill was around 300 Bucks for the 4 of us / so she expects a "tip" of 90 US dollars for serving one table ?? - I find that ridiculous - being used to the European "system" of 5 to 10 % depending on service ....

So - i do not see any EU / Middle East or Asian based airline starting this - it is a US thing .....
And I would simply refuse to pay a tip to a airline stewardess

JK
The wisest mind has something yet to learn. ...
V5 - LEO
Fife Thousand feet
Fife Thousand feet
Closest Airfield: FYWH

Unread post by V5 - LEO » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:56 pm

....my tip for today - do not look directly into the sun, it may cause eyesight problems. My ticket covers, percentage wise, the expenses of the crew, screw them, no tip from me.

...how is it that you are employed to do a job, once you get the job you need all kind of incentives and bonuses to perform what you have applied for - crazy :oops:
In God I trust. The masses are never right, the minority are sometimes right, but the truth is always right.
“One good teacher in a lifetime may sometimes change a delinquent into a solid citizen.” — Philip Wylie
MadMacs
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by MadMacs » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:47 pm

A lot of cabin crew are also against this idea as they feel they are not there as waiters/waitresses, they are there for the safety of the passengers and are not part of the service industry.
Piggy-Hawk
Post Take off checks
Closest Airfield: Rand Airport

Unread post by Piggy-Hawk » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:45 pm

MadMacs wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:47 pm
A lot of cabin crew are also against this idea as they feel they are not there as waiters/waitresses, they are there for the safety of the passengers and are not part of the service industry.
Even if they were, why tip?

Walters earn a salary, why tip them at all?
MadMacs
Too Tousand
Too Tousand

Unread post by MadMacs » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:08 pm

Piggy-Hawk wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:45 pm
MadMacs wrote:

Most waiters/waitresses earn their salary from tips.
Piggy-Hawk
Post Take off checks
Closest Airfield: Rand Airport

Unread post by Piggy-Hawk » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:30 am

MadMacs wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:08 pm
Piggy-Hawk wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:45 pm
MadMacs wrote:

Most waiters/waitresses earn their salary from tips.
Since 2010 none of them do and they all have to be paid per hour under sectoral determination 14. Bargaining council waiters earn commission, get staff meals and their transport is paid for.

Tipping a waiter means that you are paying for something which is already included in the meal price, and giving that to the person who only picked up the plate and put it on your table, and not the person who prepared the meal.
cage
8000 Tousand
8000 Tousand
Closest Airfield: FAGC

Unread post by cage » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:40 am

Piggy-Hawk wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:30 am
Since 2010 none of them do and they all have to be paid per hour under sectoral determination 14. Bargaining council waiters earn commission, get staff meals and their transport is paid for.

Tipping a waiter means that you are paying for something which is already included in the meal price, and giving that to the person who only picked up the plate and put it on your table, and not the person who prepared the meal.
While that is what the law says, many places ignore that and pay tips only.
Tips also don't only go to the waitron, some pool tips and split them amongst staff.
Regardless most are paid a meagre basic wage and tips are there to bolster their income, essentially it is the owner shifting remuneration to patrons.
Some nations pay their staff a good wage and in those places it is not customary to tip.
Anton Nel
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: FABB

Unread post by Anton Nel » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:24 am

It starts by "choosing to " however a precedent will be set quickly, then it becomes "expected to". Have you ever had a crappy meal and service and not tipped, or low tipped? The stares and the glares are enough to strip paint! At least you can leave the restaurant.

Where do you go sitting in a pressurized tube, when you decide not to tip and get treated like a leper because of your "frowned upon" decision!

Then tip them for what? Pouring me flat Coke out of a 2l bottle and serving me a meal some machine prepared for me 3 days ago? Or for serving me the snack I have to pay for on a 1 hour flight to DBN...

Are they waiters or safety officers assisting passengers during the flight?
Anton Nel
Jolley Roger
Straight and Level
Closest Airfield: FALA

Unread post by Jolley Roger » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:02 pm

Anton Nel wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:24 am
It starts by "choosing to " however a precedent will be set quickly, then it becomes "expected to".
Like what happened in the cruise ship industry, crazy.
Wonko the Sane
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: Wonderboom

Unread post by Wonko the Sane » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:30 pm

I must say that this tipping thing is overrated. On the flight back from SA last week I tried tipping the stewardess... She was a bit heavy but I got her over eventually. She was furious and I think she might lay an assault charge against me...

SO DON'T TIP THEM!!!

W
I don't care what you think of me! Unless you think I'm awesome - then you're right, carry on!

My flying is not that bad....I've never left one up there..

Andre Dethioux (temporarily in Angola...)
RPL (MR)
Burner
Tree Tousand
Tree Tousand
Closest Airfield: LIMB

Unread post by Burner » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:54 pm

How as likely is a cabin crew member going to cutting off a customer who has had way too much to drink, but has been ripping generously during the flight?

I get that 99 percent are consummate professionals, but why add temptation to the mix.

As far as tipping waiters.. having done the job to fund my CPL many years ago, it's a different game altogether.

I had possibly some of the best service at a restaurant a few nights ago in the Alps. Instead of the usual dog average Italian service, this guy really went to town explaining carefully each dish. Made honest recommendations about wines and dishes (that weren't necessarily the most expensive options), despite being very very busy, was incredibly attentive, with a positive attitude. I usually never tip in Italy, as it's not expected nor usually warranted, but in this case it definitely was. I got such a warm genuine thanks, for tipping ten percent. Also a comment that this let's him and his fellow waiters know that they are doing a good job.

Cabin crew are not there to wait hand and foot on passengers. In an ideal world, catering services should be carried out by separate individuals to the cabin crew. Sadly once someone has tipped you the first time, they believe they then own you and expect to receive preferential treatment. This is not possible in a cabin full of economy class pax.
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return"

Return to “Airline Chatter”